Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TT RS Autocar drive impression

"Sounding the part is one thing, but the better news is that the TT RS has the performance to match: 0-62mph takes just 4.7sec, and unrestricted it will run to 174mph. To say it has a strong mid-range is a bit of an understatement, with that peak torque available from 1600rpm all the way to 5300rpm. But equally it is not shy of revving right to the redline."

Banned
    Not quiet "the one to watch" as some people have been harping about.

It sounds like my fears for the stock suspension were correct and it will be too firm, especially on UK roads. Another thing that has dulled my expectations is they didn't feel it was quite the handler of either the RS4 or R8, the R8 I could understand but the RS4 though good was not exceptional well not by lighter weight coupe standard in any case.

Everything I have been told has lead me to believe that the TT/RS is very close in ability to the Cayman S, i.e. it corners as hard, brakes as well and steers with the same precision. I hope that a proper lengthy test back home on UK roads and up against some stiff competition will prove that the TT/RS is indeed much better than this first meeting would suggest.

On a plus note they did say the engine dominates the experience which in my book is part of the reason for buying a sportscar. If you have ever driven a Viper you will know exactly how that feels, but at least with this engine being mounted in a TT it will control all of this savagery in the usual German efficiency one has come to expect from Audi and in any case if you'd wanted a wall-flower for a car then buy a Renault Scenic and be done with it

I will look forward to it's official ring time to see if it fulfils it's potential and positions itself not only ahead of the Z4M and SLK55 but hopefully ahead of the M3 too, now that would be cause for celebration and a two fingered salute to Munich.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Banned
    Fifth Gear gives it a 3/5 stars and says it's quiet dull apart from the engine. Also, being ahead of M3 in a straight line is nothing to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_RS4 View Post
    Fifth Gear gives it a 3/5 stars and says it's quiet dull apart from the engine. Also, being ahead of M3 in a straight line is nothing to be proud of.
    Just read that one too and again it does sound like your usual Audi, ultra efficient at going very, very quickly either on the road or track but doesn't set the pulse alight.

I think it will really appeal to the usual Audi flock but if these first impressions stay that way once sampled on more familiar roads then I doubt it will pull potential customers from their usual brands which would be a shame considering the engine really does sound like it's something else.

I will hold station and wait for some decent comparison tests conducted back home before totally ruling the TT/RS out of the running as my future repalcement car.

P.S.
    One thing that is concerning me is the price to start with, you really need to add at least £5K before you get a decent spec and that puts it close on £50K or twice to the price of the cheapest TT.

Banned
    The price is the biggest problem. It's just not very well equipped. No buckets, ugly wheels unless you splash on 20inches, no MRide etc. Spec it and it's Evora/CaymanS territory. Save up and get a used R8.

Auto Bild impressions is also not so impressive. They claim that turbo lag is noticable. My Motorpresse friend drove one as well and is unfortunately not impressed as well. TT RS is according to his email to me:"...very fast in straight line. Good(but, not excellent) around corners. Feels just like another understeer champ in his opinion. ...and sometimes he had a feeling that engine is actually too much for the chassis."

I will hold my judgement until I try it for myself.

Banned
    I find the TT-S is the better buy then. Has more colours too and cheaper options.

Will the RS3 be better?

I find the TT-S is the better buy then. Has more colours too and cheaper options.

Will the RS3 be better?
    My people consider the S3 as a better drive than the TT/S, even though the TT/S is the quicker on the track. It is possible that the RS3 will also be the sweeter steer, but considering what I was told all those months ago I had very high hopes for the TT/RS, even more so when I heard the price.

Edit:

Considering the price I feel the money would be better placed in an S4. It might not be as quick in a straight line but you do get the option of S/Tronic and SportDiff, plus a simply chip tune should be able to address the performance deficiency compared to the TT/RS and it also has the nicer alloy option in the RS6 look-a-likes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    My people consider the S3 as a better drive than the TT/S, even though the TT/S is the quicker on the track. It is possible that the RS3 will also be the sweeter steer, but considering what I was told all those months ago I had very high hopes for the TT/RS, even more so when I heard the price.

Edit:

Considering the price I feel the money would be better placed in an S4. It might not be as quick in a straight line but you do get the option of S/Tronic and SportDiff, plus a simply chip tune should be able to address the performance deficiency compared to the TT/RS and it also has the nicer alloy option in the RS6 look-a-likes.
    Yeah, but specced, the S4 is way too expensive. Also you have to take the terrible adaptive steering if you want the sport diff. The Sport seats are extra too.

Yeah, but specced, the S4 is way too expensive. Also you have to take the terrible adaptive steering if you want the sport diff. The Sport seats are extra too.
    Not in the UK you don't, you can spec sportdiff on it's own or with either damper control or the steering. I personally would pick the steering either as more assistance takes away from the experience.

You are right about the sports seats though, at £575 they aren't cheap but with that price you do get full leather.

BTW, I specced an S4 with S/Tronic and all the goodies and it's price came to £44k or roughly the same price as the starting price of the TT/RS.

Whoa, I certainly expected a lot more praise especially when it comes to handling and driving thrills. I will also hold my final jugdement until I have a chance to try it myself, but I will certainly not order one in blind based on these reviews. The RS5 better be much, much better...

Much better impression from AutoTrader

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIA...ar_review.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by conneem View Post
    Much better impression from AutoTrader

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIA...ar_review.html
    Not a professional review magazine.

Dear Friends,

concerning the first reviews, what is your personal expectation out of the TTRS?

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

concerning the first reviews, what is your personal expectation out of the TTRS?

Qisha
    May I give my own personal opinion on what I am expecting from quattroGmbH working their magic on the TT chassis.

1/ It is grip harder and longer than any other TT, i.e. resist understeer for as long as is possible from a fwd based awd chassis.
    2/ To have decent steering feel, again much better than the normal TT or TT/S.
    3/ To have brakes that resist fade and be suitable for trackdays with nothing more than maybe competition pads.
    4/ To feel composed over demanding roads and fill the driver with confidence to exploit the chassis and grip to the full.
    5/ To make you the driver get a special experience driving it and to have a chassis the can be adjusted with throttle inputs.

I am pretty sure that the TT/RS has got all of the above ticked as job done with the possible exception being the fifth which I think is only partly complete, I know from even these first impressions that it is something special but it appears to not involve the driver as much as we all had hoped.

After all the praise given towards the TT/S and the S4 I suppose I expected greatness. Though I will hold judgement until I actually drive it myself because everyone looks for different things from the driving experience and this may very well be right up my street.

P.S.
    Not that it's a deal breaker but Qisha can you give us any idea as to a possible ring time for the TT/RS?