Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TT RS Autocar drive impression

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    concerning the first reviews, what is your personal expectation out of the TTRS?
    What bothers me the most is that the car seems to be in the 'nice ride, but nothing exceptional' category, which I didn't expect. Maybe it's because it's compared to real supercars, maybe it just is a bit dull. I'd like to see some references though where it's compared to the TTS so that I can see the improvements, I'm not so much interested in reading that the R8 might be the better sports car (it was designed to be, so it better is).

Plus I'm a bit alarmed to read in this forum that people report lag from this engine, which based on the numbers seems to be impossible to me.

Also Audi handed out only cars with sports suspension, so the bit I was hoping to get some insights on, the SS vs. MR, was left out and probably will be till the first demo cars are delivered, which will probaly take another month.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    What bothers me the most is that the car seems to be in the 'nice ride, but nothing exceptional' category, which I didn't expect. Maybe it's because it's compared to real supercars, maybe it just is a bit dull. I'd like to see some references though where it's compared to the TTS so that I can see the improvements, I'm not so much interested in reading that the R8 might be the better sports car (it was designed to be, so it better is).
    I think expectations must have been very high, probably the pricing (Cayman S money) has caused everyone including myself to think it must be incredible. Maybe we all need to come back to the real world and think of it as an exceptional TT/S, i.e. better everything but at a price.

Plus I'm a bit alarmed to read in this forum that people report lag from this engine, which based on the numbers seems to be impossible to me.
    On this subject I think we best listen to Kreso, he say a while ago about the refinement and balance wasn't Audi's usual standard and so far some reports are saying just that. The only report about turbo lag is again from Kreso, with the rest either not noticing it which is a good thing and proves it's very slight or they plain forgot which is worse.

My guess is it's slight and no worse than either the TT/S or 335i.

Also Audi handed out only cars with sports suspension, so the bit I was hoping to get some insights on, the SS vs. MR, was left out and probably will be till the first demo cars are delivered, which will probaly take another month.
    I have to agree, why on earth did they not hand out some examples with MR, I get it that SS is standard but I bet some examples had sports Recaros. Hopefully this will be sorted prior to delivery as Autocar and other will probably get to try it soon back of British roads.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I have to agree, why on earth did they not hand out some examples with MR, I get it that SS is standard but I bet some examples had sports Recaros. Hopefully this will be sorted prior to delivery as Autocar and other will probably get to try it soon back of British roads.
    Dear Leadfoot,

well- actually they had the choice.

Qisha

Look at the amount of RS TTs, man those journalists are lucky Bs.

I look forward to getting a test drive myself but alas I will have to wait a few months for that experience to happen.

Having read a few more reviews I begin to wonder if the press got the idea behind the car. It seems to me that all the negative reviews are based on the sheer disappointment that the TT-RS is basically a TTS with a more aggressive engine, firmer steering and suspension (SS and MR) and some small goodies inside and outside the car.

Currently I don't see why this can be a let down, as it should be clear that an awd car based on the PQ platform can never offer the same level of road feeling a mid engine rwd car like the Cayman S can.

I'd really be interested in some track times as I could imagine that the TT-RS is actually up to par with those praised rivals but reaches that without the driver having to fight. If this is a bug or feature remains for the customer to decide I'd say.

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

I think this car has (big) room for improvement, both in the engine and the chassis. Just like the old S2...

The best impression is the one you make yourself.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Having read a few more reviews I begin to wonder if the press got the idea behind the car. It seems to me that all the negative reviews are based on the sheer disappointment that the TT-RS is basically a TTS with a more aggressive engine, firmer steering and suspension (SS and MR) and some small goodies inside and outside the car.

Currently I don't see why this can be a let down, as it should be clear that an awd car based on the PQ platform can never offer the same level of road feeling a mid engine rwd car like the Cayman S can.

I'd really be interested in some track times as I could imagine that the TT-RS is actually up to par with those praised rivals but reaches that without the driver having to fight. If this is a bug or feature remains for the customer to decide I'd say.
    Very well put and I must admit that I had come to the same conclusion.

I too will look forward to some proper tests being conducted and hopefully a few decent track times, though when you look how well the TT/S has done I think it's a cert that the RS will improve of this and by quite some margin.

I just noticed that you can no longer config the TT/RS in the Audi UK website. I wonder is there going to be a rethink of final spec?

Whoever likes the TT-S will love this car!! It's nothing more than what an RS is: a more sportier/faster car than it's standard model. If you compare it to exotic cars (like the R8) it will fail to meet your expectations, but it should be compared to cars in it's class. R8 is not an everyday car, I only drive it like once-twice a month, mainly on the track, it's to stiff and hard to drive in the city. But the RS cars are ussually best combination for an everyday car and a super car.
    I wait for the RS5, but even if it will be faster than the R8 (in a straight line) it still won't be a better race track car, and I know it. I don't even expect it to be!
    R8 should be the best Audi car, as it is positioned to be there, with the specs and price!

Who finds the regular TT fit for their "needs" but need more power and can afford it, I bet they will buy it. It's not a huge segment, but Audi will not produce it in A4 numbers.

It's an RS car and I respect it for what that brings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pampas View Post
    Whoever likes the TT-S will love this car!! It's nothing more than what an RS is: a more sportier/faster car than it's standard model. If you compare it to exotic cars (like the R8) it will fail to meet your expectations, but it should be compared to cars in it's class. R8 is not an everyday car, I only drive it like once-twice a month, mainly on the track, it's to stiff and hard to drive in the city. But the RS cars are ussually best combination for an everyday car and a super car.
    I wait for the RS5, but even if it will be faster than the R8 (in a straight line) it still won't be a better race track car, and I know it. I don't even expect it to be!
    R8 should be the best Audi car, as it is positioned to be there, with the specs and price!

Who finds the regular TT fit for their "needs" but need more power and can afford it, I bet they will buy it. It's not a huge segment, but Audi will not produce it in A4 numbers.

It's an RS car and I respect it for what that brings.
    Weird... I always thought the whole point of the R8 was that it was an EVERYDAY sports car. I mean most people drive their 911s everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_RS4 View Post
    Weird... I always thought the whole point of the R8 was that it was an EVERYDAY sports car. I mean most people drive their 911s everyday.
    I guess that's a personal opinion. A lot of people uses their R8s everyday with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    I guess that's a personal opinion. A lot of people uses their R8s everyday with no problems.
    Indeed, you can use the the R8 with no problems. But if potholes are a problem, then the use of a really stiff car that sits pretty low can become a problem. Until now, I have change twice the rear tire (rim scratched/bented). I find the S5 as a much better car for my place (in my personal opinion), that's why I also think the TT-RS or other RS cars are better for excited people who drive in the city mostly, not so much on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoexpress
    IT’S the mightiest TT ever – and we’ve driven it! This is the stunning new RS version, which has been inspired by Audi’s legendary Eighties road-going rally car, the Quattro.

Like its spiritual predecessor, it features a five-cylinder turbocharged engine, but the all-new 2.5-litre TFSI unit boasts 335bhp – the original Quattro mustered 'only' around 200bhp by comparison. Add in sports suspension, quattro four-wheel drive and huge brakes, and you've got a real recipe for excitement.

Priced from £42,985 for the Coupe and £44,885 for the Roadster version, you’d hope that the RS stands out from more regular TTs. And it does. In comes a set of R8-style front air intakes, 18-inch alloys and larger twin chrome exhaust pipes. However, the fixed rear spoiler looks rather aftermarket – thankfully, you can specify a more discrete pop-up version if you want.

Inside, there are sports seats clad in Silk Nappa leather, aluminium pedals and a chunky flat-bottomed steering wheel complete with RS badging.

Twist the key and the new engine fires up with a bark from the twin exhausts. And it’s clear from the off that it’s a very special unit. First of all, it boasts amazing flexibility, thanks to a torque peak of 450Nm, which arrives from just 1,600rpm right up to 5,300rpm.

Together with that deep-chested mid-range urge, there’s neck-snapping top-end punch too – with 335bhp available from 5,400rpm all the way to 6,700rpm. Indeed, with a 0-62mph time of 4.6 seconds and storming in-gear pace, it feels every bit as quick as a V8-engined R8.

If anything, though, the sound is even more of a highlight. There’s a lovely off-beat warble, reminiscent of the original Quattro, but it’s supremely smooth. There’s a sport button too, which as well as sharpening throttle and steering response, opens up baffles in the exhausts. The result is very loud – with even more bass at low-speed and a metallic zing at high-revs.

Riding on optional 19-inch alloys, but without Audi’s clever magnetic damping system (it’s an optional extra), our test car coped well on Germany’s smooth roads – but it’s likely to feel very firm on bumpy UK tarmac.

Around corners the TT RS grips hard – so hard that it’s difficult to get near its enormous limits. Eventually it will understeer but a lift of the throttle will see it tighten its line keenly yet safely. Unlike the R8 and much-missed RS4, its quattro four-wheel drive system isn’t rear-biased, so the TT RS isn’t quite as much fun – and despite heavier and more precise steering than a TT S, the wheel doesn’t brim with feel, so a Porsche Cayman still edges it on driver appeal.

But it’s still hugely capable – and highly desirable. And thanks to that characterful engine, it’ll still put a huge smile on your face.

17. Rating:
  18. I think this is the first review that finally realised that the TT/RS has a Haldex system instead on the Torsen system and thus it doesn't offers a proper rear biased torque split. Also it isn't a Cayman, it's an Audi so it will majors on efficient/safe ground coverage instead of driver involvement. No car matches the Porsche on this front so why would one expect Audi to do it.

I think I am starting to understand this car, it's still very much old school Audi Quattro in that it will be safe and secure but because of it's weight it will change direction, corner and lap with the best of them but do so without the car or the driver breaking a sweat.

I love the TT and thought that the new one was a real step forward versus the original, dynamically. Each successive model seems to improve on the driving experience it offers. Although I've only had a limited test drive experience of the TT-S, I thought it was sensational. The TT-RS is everything you could possible want in a TT, except that S-Tronic auto is not yet available. I love the engine and think that it is a very innovative solution.

While I have no issues with what the car offers in terms driving experience, cabin ambiance, and build quality, I agree that its pricing is too high. As good as the car is, you can't help reminding yourself that it is still the same basic platform as the Golf and A3 underneath. You can buy two new Golf GTI's for the price of one TT-RS? I just hope Audi reconsiders how much it charges.

using that principle you can say that an RS4 is build on a a simple A4 platform where TDI engines are built on too. platfourm used accross the board of other VAG cars including skodas...

how about an RS6 with base price at over 100000 EUR build on same platform as simple A6 TDI 140 b ase as well. plafor mused to build VW passats..... and SKODAS as well.....

you see the point I think...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com