Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom hood w/ vents finished - Pics & write-up

Custom hood w/ vents finished - Pics & write-up

It's done.

I went with a very simple design. I used the same vent placement as the MTM vents (with smaller side vents). I found a mesh with the same shape/size as the front grill, painted them matte black and coated for protection. All the cuts were done with a dremel, and most of the time was buffing, grinding and filing the edges down to get them smooth and rounded. Paint was done at a certified Audi/Ferrari body shop.

Now to what matters - The average oil temp for my one hour drive to work went from 225 f to 200 f. When stopped, i can visually see the heat pouring out of the hood like an oven. Also, when i get the car in the garage, the hood cooled to the touch 2 hours faster than before. It may be a simple design, but it pulls quite a bit of heat out of the engine bay while driving and while stopped. i am very happy. Thank you Headshot for the inspiration/guidance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Fonzie
    Current: '11 S4 | '15 S8 | '14 911 Turbo S | '15 SQ5 | '03 RS6 | '16 RS7 | '11 458 Italia
    Past: '13 S6 | '12 P85 | '13 P85+ | '10 E63 | '12 S65 | '09 A4

very impressive - well done

Yes it is efficient. There is no possible discussion on this matter ! ! !

FRederic

You have given the heat a much easier path to exit from under the hood. Thus, that heat is lazy and will always take the path of least resistance.

Wow!! That came out great... Fantastic job mate. The pics with the cloud reflections look amazing - i knew the color match was going to come out good but from thoses photos it looks excellent. Nice work
    quality doesn't come in a twist off.

Nice job and thanks for answering the important questions before anyone had a chance to ask! They did a nice job on the paintwork, too.

I never noticed you changed your wheels before. Are those OEM or aftermarket RS4s? And is that titanium color? Do they weigh the same or less than the RS6 18s?

Very nice! How about some inside the hood shots?

+1. Nice. Looks factory stealth. Nice plate too!
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

nice job

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie Audi View Post
    It's done.

I went with a very simple design. I used the same vent placement as the MTM vents (with smaller side vents). I found a mesh with the same shape/size as the front grill, painted them matte black and coated for protection. All the cuts were done with a dremel, and most of the time was buffing, grinding and filing the edges down to get them smooth and rounded. Paint was done at a certified Audi/Ferrari body shop.

Now to what matters - The average oil temp for my one hour drive to work went from 225 f to 200 f. When stopped, i can visually see the heat pouring out of the hood like an oven. Also, when i get the car in the garage, the hood cooled to the touch 2 hours faster than before. It may be a simple design, but it pulls quite a bit of heat out of the engine bay while driving and while stopped. i am very happy. Thank you Headshot for the inspiration/guidance.

what about the rain can you drive it in the rain will it cause any problems with electonics.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrs6 View Post
    what about the rain can you drive it in the rain will it cause any problems with electonics.
    Good question! always wondered about that when considering cutting in the hood.

The wheels are aftermarket 19" RS4's, titanium. Not sure on weight yet vs OEM 18s

The water was a huge concern of mine. I know the MTM vents are wide open and allow water to flow in.. so I contacted Hoppen Motorsports, a MTM importer. I got the email addresses of 4 individuals that have the MTM vents installed. I got responses from 3 of them. All three said the same thing - water/rain has never been a problem. One guy lives in Tampa, and said he even left the car outside during the last hurricane, and no problems with the car. With those testimonies, added to the reassurance from Mike at Hoppen, i decided that i was gonna just go for it. I will be keeping my eye on the coils however.. and have my stock hood ready to go if needed.

inside hood shots..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Fonzie
    Current: '11 S4 | '15 S8 | '14 911 Turbo S | '15 SQ5 | '03 RS6 | '16 RS7 | '11 458 Italia

water has never been a problem on my car !

Frederic

I wouldn't think water would be a problem, but I'm sure it creates some added cleaning issues. Thanks for the inside view.

how much wood a pair of mtm vent cost?anyone

I don't think MTM sells it

Of course they do !!!!

Price (without VAT, cost of shipping) is 1486,55 euros

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie Audi View Post
    Now to what matters - The average oil temp for my one hour drive to work went from 225 f to 200 f.
    I forgot about this part of your post^^. In my years of driving this car in the Texas summer heat, I think my oil temp guage has gone above 200 degrees once, and even then it was still resting on the 200 line. I think most RS6s run that way normally. Your norm was 225?

yup, 225 by the time i got to work. always been that temp, even through 2 thermostats. this week now has been my first week running at +/-200 consistently
    Fonzie