Thread: Car Magazine: we were right all along about RS5

Car Magazine: we were right all along about RS5

Car Magazine is proudly saying that it was right all along about the RS5, but as the pages of RS6.com's forum's alone show, there is considerable disagreement about various details, especially the engine, suggesting that Car is not as well informed as it thinks it is.

Car is still saying the RS5 will get a bi-turbo version of the 4.2 litre V8 whereas many other sources seem to think it is a better breathing version of the existing engine. Georg Kacher - Car's esteemed correspondent from the Fatherland seldom puts a foot wrong and is the voice behind Car's claim. He also writes for Germany's Auto Motor und Sport which has contradicted Car's claim by saying that the engine is a development of the existing unit.

So who's right?

I tend to think that Audi is conducting a rather clever but annoying campaign of deliberate disinformation. Separate sources from within Audi are communicating different 'off the record' details about the RS5. It'll make the actual reveal much more interesting.

I happen to agree with you, there is definitely two stories coming out of Audi regarding this model, whether this is more to do with the economical climate and Audi were undecided as to which engine to choose or they just want to keep the competition guessing.

I think it's smoke and mirror and that the decision was taken long ago. At the moment the 7sp S/Tronic is not known to cope with anything more than 550Nm and a bi-turbo 4.2v8 would have to be seriously restricted to only produce that amount.

Who knows, maybe the info I have been getting for all these months now and passing on to the forum is in fact the wrong one.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Well, I've been predicting a 4.0-litre TFSI based on my 'insider' info and I'm going to look very stupid if it isn't this engine.

Mind you, Leadfoot, if the RS5 turns out to no more than a development of the existing 4.2 with a manual box then it'll be very old technology ant so exciting.

We're all gagging for turbos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...p-was-bang-on/

In this latest from Car, as you say they are claiming 4.2 twin turbo but only 332lb ft of torque! To my mind modern 4 litre V8 twin turbos produce more like 450lb ft of torque. This story just doesn't add up.

We have already fourth(?!) thread about RS5 engine... Engine for RS5 is already decided-it is 4.2L FSI HDZ with about 450ps.

As Leadie correctly pointed current S Tronic is limited at 550Nm. Only very down tuned 4.0L TFSI with about 520Nm would fit with current S Tronic. I am looking forward to see new 4.0L TFSI-just it wont be in new RS5.

Lets hope that we wont have new thread about potentional RS5 engine every week till December 2009...

I'm hoping for a 4.0-litre TFSI as well.

However the car I saw on video at Nordschleife didn't sound like a turbo powered car.

PS I agree about the number of threads.

I suggest (and decide) that we continue in this thread: http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17579
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail