Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R8 5.2 FSI vs 997 Turbo Auto Zeitung

R8 5.2 FSI vs 997 Turbo Auto Zeitung

More later today or tomorrow...

KresoF1,

did they measure the acceleration times and handling capabilities of those cars?

Kerso,

I possible can you translate to English.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    KresoF1,

did they measure the acceleration times and handling capabilities of those cars?
    3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
    3.9s and 12.1s R8 5.2 FSI

acceleration turbo is stil the daddy...

i think r8 should have a turbo as well, regarding the tunning performance off the turbo.

Was it a manuel turbo, or the slow 5 gear automatic.
    Was the r8 manuel or not.

I heard the new turbo with direct clutch is again i nice bit faster than the actuel version.

We will see

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
    R8 should be quicker.It is newer and 45 ps more powerful.

were those actual independent figures or simply regurgitated manufacturer published times in that article?

i still think the V10 won't be quite as quick at triple digit aceeleration esp if the TT is an automatic. but the R8 will clean the floor with it on the track.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    were those actual independent figures or simply regurgitated manufacturer published times in that article?

i still think the V10 won't be quite as quick at triple digit aceeleration esp if the TT is an automatic. but the R8 will clean the floor with it on the track.
    Auto Zeitung measurements. R8 5.2 FSI is R Tronic, 997 Turbo is manual...

R8 5.2 FSI is totally new car, 997 Turbo is with some kms. Also, this is the fastest 997 Turbo ever measured by German car magazines. So far, fastest 997 Turbo manual did 0-200km/h in 12.1s(measured by Auto Bild Sportscar Edition)...

I will try to post full scans on Friday.

3.7s and 11.9s 911 Turbo
    thx.
    and in the handling department?

R8 should be quicker after 230km/h due to more wtq/weight.

Auto Zeitung measurements. R8 5.2 FSI is R Tronic, 997 Turbo is manual...

R8 5.2 FSI is totally new car, 997 Turbo is with some kms. Also, this is the fastest 997 Turbo ever measured by German car magazines. So far, fastest 997 Turbo manual did 0-200km/h in 12.1s(measured by Auto Bild Sportscar Edition)...

I will try to post full scans on Friday.
    i honestly hate that r-tronic. no matter how revised it may be. R&T updated its 0-60 times with a manual car and got 0.4 secs faster than r-tronic. this figure can inevitable affect the 1/4 miles and 0-200 kph times.

likely we will se 1/4 times in the 11.8 second range with a manual. these cars are neck and neck in a straight. with the DPK or manual the 997.2 TT will be faster again in the straights. but i won't care.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    thx.
    and in the handling department?

R8 should be quicker after 230km/h due to more wtq/weight.
    Huh!

997 Turbo faster on the track as well. Difference is not big, but I honestly expected much, much more from R8 5.2 FSI...

Porsche achieved 4L less fuel consumption then R8 V10. 997 Turbo was also better at handling... To explain little bit-it is latest MY09 997 Turbo manual with LSD and latest software for its PTM AWD system.
    Both cars were on standard tires.

Further bad news-I received email from my Motorpresse friend-both AMS and Sport Auto are currently testing two examples of R8 5.2 FSI. Results are not great at all...

Mmmm.....

I'd be interested to see how R8 V8 compares to V10, and also to Gallardo.......

Huh!

997 Turbo faster on the track as well. Difference is not big, but I honestly expected much, much more from R8 5.2 FSI...

Porsche achieved 4L less fuel consumption then R8 V10. 997 Turbo was also better at handling... To explain little bit-it is latest MY09 997 Turbo manual with LSD and latest software for its PTM AWD system.
    Both cars were on standard tires.
    That is a little surprising that the Porsche was quicker on the track but as every road tester has ever wrote about the R8's ability to give driver's that added confidence in it's handling balance that very few cars can match, the LP560 included. So while the Porsche in the right hand may indeed be quicker on this and other occasions I doubt that in the hands of a car enthusiast of average to better ability like most people are that own these cars will continue to be the quicker car.

From my experience of the 997 unless Porsche have totally changed it's character I doubt it's as easy a car to drive quickly as the R8 definitely is. Though like all cars that are mid engined it does require respect and if you over step the mark it will bit back.

Further bad news-I received email from my Motorpresse friend-both AMS and Sport Auto are currently testing two examples of R8 5.2 FSI. Results are not great at all...
    Hey, you have to take the rough with the smooth and not everyone will either like it or agree with each other. We will see over the next few months some rave reviews of the R8 and some less so excellent reviews. As I have free will I will choose to ignore the bad ones and only read the glowing reviews.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Leadie,

For the money that it costs R8 5.2 FSI NEEDS to BE faster on EVERY track and in the straight line then 997 Turbo. Period. That is my personal opinion.

BTW, there is a car in Audi line that will be faster then factory specs and will have pretty good track times-TT RS. I may buy that small sportscar instead of R8 5.2 FSI in the end...

I too was looking at the TT-RS or "Baby R8". Quoted 0-60 is 4.6 secs, the same as R8 V8.

But it is front-engined, whereas R8 is mid-engined. I suspect handling on R8 will be noticeably better.

Quote Originally Posted by R8 England View Post
    I too was looking at the TT-RS or "Baby R8". Quoted 0-60 is 4.6 secs, the same as R8 V8.

But it is front-engined, whereas R8 is mid-engined. I suspect handling on R8 will be noticeably better.
    There is a potentionally great solution for me-to buy TT RS and Porsche 997.2 GT3. Together they cost only around 15K € more then R8 5.2 FSI with full specs. On 997.2 GT3 I do not need PCCBs. Only few items. Same on TTRS(Buckets, 19", Navi and 280km/h limiter). Hmm... I like that combination very much...

i would stay with the turbo and give it to speedart, Techart, or just another tunner, out come is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by audi_ch View Post
    i would stay with the turbo and give it to speedart, Techart, or just another tunner, out come is fantastic
    Sorry, but I am not the biggest fan of any tuning. If I buy 997 Turbo or 997.2 Turbo or TT RS I will keep it in factory shape.