Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New tranny...

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Chime

If TC code

Then TC only

If trans is slipping

Then trans and TC

Trans only avail in ZF reman which should be fine.

The TC is only new and updated.

Call me, you need to be there when the adjuster comes. If anyone drives your car you need to be in it. If they beat the shit out of it and dont replace the trans and opt for the TC only. You will be screwed because by beating the shit out of it they smoked the fluid. make sense

sorry, got to run but you can give me a buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Exactly what he said. Mine were CPO'd tranny went this last time (slipping) so tranny replaced in my case...and they are all straight from ZF in Germany re-manufactured.
    Thanks Gentlemen I will be right there when the adjuster arrives and I will try to make them feel some slipping even if it is not slipping. I was under the impression that any code for the trans meant a new trans. Thanks for the correction. So we dont get new tranny's either? BTW the rear diff? Is it 75w90?

The code is for the TC only.

But the result of the burned clutches in the TC cause burnt fluid to ruin the rest of the transmission.

If the car is driven and the burnt fluid goes thru the rest of the trans...then the whole thing will be toast. That point is hard to determine. The dealer will only want to replace the TC.

If its not slipping between gears 1-2 2-3 3-4 Then there is not much you can do

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Thanks Gentlemen I will be right there when the adjuster arrives and I will try to make them feel some slipping even if it is not slipping. I was under the impression that any code for the trans meant a new trans. Thanks for the correction. So we dont get new tranny's either? BTW the rear diff? Is it 75w90?

The code is for the TC only.

But the result of the burned clutches in the TC cause burnt fluid to ruin the rest of the transmission.

If the car is driven and the burnt fluid goes thru the rest of the trans...then the whole thing will be toast. That point is hard to determine. The dealer will only want to replace the TC.

If its not slipping between gears 1-2 2-3 3-4 Then there is not much you can do
    There is something that can be done Dave.

It's no so much the burnt fluid as it is the debris that sheds of the slipping TC clutch, and that sheds of the main clutch packs that plugs up the valve body and reduces the pressure required to keep the clutch packs clamped tight. This causes slippage.

The reality is if the trans is not slipping, and just the TC is bad, a new TC should cure it. At that time, the valve body should be taken apart and the screens cleaned inside of it to restore lost pressure. However, once the trans slips a few times at high RPM and power levels, it cooks the clutches very quickly. Make sure the valve body is serviced! If the VB remains clogged up, it will slowly destroy your transmission due to slippage and the increased heat generated from that slippage. BTDT.

I HIGHLY recommend Lucas Trans Fix in our transmissions, and any transmission for that matter. I use it all the time in customers cars. The stuff is magic, and it significantly reduces slipping and rough shifting. It actually coats the clutches with a resin that renews the clutches. Additionally, using Mercon 5 synthetic (yes a non Audi fluid) is a better choice over ATF-1 that is OE in the ZF HP24 . Tozo on this forum who is a transmission expert uses this fluid and has great luck with it, as do I. Don't be afraid to use this additive folks. It's the real deal. It will harm nothing and you will feel the difference almost immediately.

Rick,

Yes, I completely agree. You detailed what is in that burnt fluid I was talking about. The added bit on VB is a good one as well.

Lucas....makes good products. I use the fuel conditioner in all my cars/diesel motorhome. Buy it by the gallon.

The adjuster came in and looked at the codes and went out to the car and said I have seen this Trans code many times before and it means the tranny is no good. I also had the code for passenger side motor mount and he said it was bad. $5000 worth of parts and I don't know how much in labor. Lets see warranty cost me about $4500 so I'm already up and I have 37 months and 40K miles left. Man I'm glad I found this forum and got some good advice on purchasing it.

Congrats and enjoy the repair

The adjuster came in and looked at the codes and went out to the car and said I have seen this Trans code many times before and it means the tranny is no good. I also had the code for passenger side motor mount and he said it was bad. $5000 worth of parts and I don't know how much in labor. Lets see warranty cost me about $4500 so I'm already up and I have 37 months and 40K miles left. Man I'm glad I found this forum and got some good advice on purchasing it.
    You might want to consider IPT or contact TomoZ that just did P3U's rebuild. Pay the difference between what the warranty company will cover, and IMHO end up with a stronger tranny than just replacing it with what just went south on you.

Hot dog Willie! Its your lucky day.

Add another 4k in labor.

9k job for 50 dollar deduct.

I think the new ZF reman is fine. The TC will be new and updated.

$9000-$4500= Me up $4500 Yeah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    You might want to consider IPT or contact TomoZ that just did P3U's rebuild. Pay the difference between what the warranty company will cover, and IMHO end up with a stronger tranny than just replacing it with what just went south on you.
    That's a double edge sword Max...

ZF has failure data from previous new and rebuilt units and in theory, should use that data to build a better box.

IPT should also have this data and knowledge, but you will need to give them your old transmission or let them do the R&R work because they will not have a core to rebuild. ZF can just send you a complete trans and TC.

Bottom line, if you get the trans from whom Fidelity recommends, you will have a longer leg to stand on if it fails again...

I agree and the items you

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    That's a double edge sword Max...

ZF has failure data from previous new and rebuilt units and in theory, should use that data to build a better box.

IPT should also have this data and knowledge, but you will need to give them your old transmission or let them do the R&R work because they will not have a core to rebuild. ZF can just send you a complete trans and TC.

Bottom line, if you get the trans from whom Fidelity recommends, you will have a longer leg to stand on if it fails again...
    mention are very valid and should certainly be considered. It certainly took longer going the IPT route. I'm certainly not a transmission expert (or even a novice for that matter) and went this route after giving consideration to options and discussing with trusted sources.

I did see a recent post from someone that went the ZF route and had issues within a few weeks. Reality is there is no "right one answer" or a "bullet-proof" fix.

This forum is so great in that everyone can provide their input and experiences. With the information- decisions can be made for independent choice & responsibility.

The main issue for me is this.

If you have Fidelity. And you use Audi reman ZF. Then you have parts and labor warranty thru Audi.

If for some reason under the blue sky the new/reman trans does not work. Then Audi will pay to R/R the whole thing again. Dealer or indy will get paid again to R/R.

When your talking about 40hrs of labor. It is no small sum.

Edit: VV Bruce only you would come up with that. Its too late for Mark and the thread title is locked in RS6 history

Isn't anyone worried about Mark and the title of this thread????

New Tranny
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue
    2007 ML63 AMG
    2003 LX470
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2003 RS6 Daytona Gray
    1995 911 Carrera
    1998 740iL

That covers you for 12K or 12 months..

The main issue for me is this.

If you have Fidelity. And you use Audi reman ZF. Then you have parts and labor warranty thru Audi.

If for some reason under the blue sky the new/reman trans does not work. Then Audi will pay to R/R the whole thing again. Dealer or indy will get paid again to R/R.

When your talking about 40hrs of labor. It is no small sum.
    After that- it is same ballgame. Since I plan on seeing this car roll over 200K and it has some engine mods, I was after an improved tranny and wasn't overly concerned about 12K of warranty(probably about 6 months). My discussions with IPT and others gave me comfort the tranny would perform. Obviously, I hope that I don't have to test needing it repaired in the first 12K- I'll report back in Spring when the odometer has rolled off 12k, and then in a few more years when the 200k rolls up- Time and luck will tell :bigeyes:

Pics of work in progress. I decided to go ahead an do the 75K service and change out the O2 sensors as well. Paul found a leaking Vaccum that was causing the car to run rich. Paul is the guy in the pics. I also changed the rear diff oil. It didn't look to bad.

Last edited by GEN XER; December 22nd, 2009 at 02:38.

@GEN XER- would you be able to do me a favor and measure the exhaust diameter (of the main piping)?

I'm 95% sure that it's 2.5 inches, but want to be 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat View Post
    @GEN XER- would you be able to do me a favor and measure the exhaust diameter (of the main piping)?

I'm 95% sure that it's 2.5 inches, but want to be 100%.
    Yes its 2.5", already did it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Isn't anyone worried about Mark and the title of this thread????

New Tranny
    I was waiting for someone else to say something....
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared