Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DRC Repair Tool and New Struts in WA

these part numbers are the same as have been fitted to UK cars since the back end of 2008 and unfortunately there were recorded seal failures with these within weeks of fitting...

The "new" design replaced all the old shocks in inventory.

These new shocks are not even on dealer shelves yet

all old stock was pulled

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmS View Post
    these part numbers are the same as have been fitted to UK cars since the back end of 2008 and unfortunately there were recorded seal failures with these within weeks of fitting...

I'm confused! So Topcat's car was fitted with old stock then? That wasn't what I took from the start of this thread? Does anyone have the part numbers of the new improved shocks yet then?

He he, D, the only thing I read in your post is " hammering.......without any lube." If what MalcolmS posted is right, then we're in for a greaseless hammering.
    Since there're no dealers here, do I get new CV's? What about the connecting lines running front to back, are they replacing those also? cause my lines looks corroded. If the "new" fix starts failing, will AoA be willing to pay for a set of KW V3's? I think this would the best solution instead of wasting time and money on a useless fix.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

anthing fixed in the usa between now and august needs special approval and parts are shipped in for your car.

i know your late to the game but read up on some of our posts.

I'm confused! So Topcat's car was fitted with old stock then? That wasn't what I took from the start of this thread? Does anyone have the part numbers of the new improved shocks yet then?

I believe since inventory is being replaced, part numbers are staying the same in the data base.

Audi has never stayed with the same part # when the part has been improved, they have always changed the suffix, same with VW & Porsche (maybe it is a German Automotive industry thing). If the part is different then it gets a new part #, if it is just changed (supposedly improved), it gets a new suffix, usually the next letter in the alphabet from the previous version.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

ya, i've never seen part number replacements, it would simply cause too much confusion

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    anthing fixed in the usa between now and august needs special approval and parts are shipped in for your car.

i know your late to the game but read up on some of our posts.

I can assure you i'm not late to the game having read every recent DRC post in here, audisrs.com, audiworld.com, and other forums as well as EVERY DRC post ever in RS246.com.

According to Topcat he's had the latest parts fitted and i can assure you that if they were modified, enhanced, improved, whatever change adjective you want to use they would have a different suffix. These don't. The boot's are new though.

Get Qisha to confirm.

Malcolm

Now things are starting to look interesting. Is AoA truely fitting our cars with old parts and allowing us to assume they are the new parts comimg in Aug for warranty reasons? Why would they change the p/n on some parts but not all the parts or are they taking old parts and rebuilding them, thereby keeping the same P/N? If its the latter then I don't want them, I'd prefer a totally new shock not a rebuilt one and I will wait for it. See this is what happens when you are not forthcoming with your customers, you allow them to draw there on conclusions and then we start making our decision of our conclusions because AoA decides they want to keep quiet on the issue. We know there was some old stock left over, AoA says the new shocks won't be ready until Aug, Dave brings up the warranty issue, all of a sudden there are emergency shocks available for worst case cars and Dave gets a call out of the blue to get his fixed, the p/n are the same so there is only two conclusions we can come to. They are the exact same part or they had them rebuit and are using differnt internals. We can only speculate on Audi removing old inventory from the market, just like we can only speculate that these early shocks are really going to hold up and not just until Aug either.

Hmmm

We have already covered the fact that the part numbers have not changed.

I can assure you i'm not late to the game having read every recent DRC post in here, audisrs.com, audiworld.com, and other forums as well as EVERY DRC post ever in RS246.com.

According to Topcat he's had the latest parts fitted and i can assure you that if they were modified, enhanced, improved, whatever change adjective you want to use they would have a different suffix. These don't. The boot's are new though.

Get Qisha to confirm.

Malcolm

New DRC has new part numbers..
    Only available on a case by case basis for now.
    Service manager must take pictures of the leaking shocks and send them to HQ. If they determine the leaking is bad enough they will send a new replacement kit..if not serious enough, you will have to wait till august or until the leaks become bad enough to get the new fix. As I understand it, They are getting some shipmemnts of new parts but are trying to stockpile enough to send them out for August mass repairs. It would seem that they want all dealers to be trained and equipped with the new stuff by august before they begin replacing them en masse..
    Patience grasshoppers..

I would agree here.

Audi would never install rebuilt parts.

It would make sense that a small inventory would be ready as the big shipment gets ready for the boat ride.

That small shipment could come by air to service initial claims.

Gerry had a new set installed at Audi Scottsdale already. They have the new tool and I plan to have the same tech do my car.

I also plan to meet up with Gerry before I drop my car off to compare both cars pre and post. We have all the bases covered here and I do trust Audi will come thru.

Everything is set except the question on the Central Valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    New DRC has new part numbers..
    Only available on a case by case basis for now.
    Service manager must take pictures of the leaking shocks and send them to HQ. If they determine the leaking is bad enough they will send a new replacement kit..if not serious enough, you will have to wait till august or until the leaks become bad enough to get the new fix. As I understand it, They are getting some shipmemnts of new parts but are trying to stockpile enough to send them out for August mass repairs. It would seem that they want all dealers to be trained and equipped with the new stuff by august before they begin replacing them en masse..
    Patience grasshoppers..

so, I'll ask again. Will (can) someone publish the part numbers of the new shocks?

Gerry had a new set installed at Audi Scottsdale already. They have the new tool and I plan to have the same tech do my car.
    so, I'll ask again. Will (can) someone publish the part numbers of the new shocks?
    Let's see something that can back up at least one of the different opinions floating around this thread. So far I see some part numbers and a lot of theories, nothing more. I don't think Audi or the dealers even know what they are doing or saying at this point because none of it sounds consistant when we share what we have been told. And if they don't know, how could we possibly know? LOL

I would agree here.

Audi would never install rebuilt parts..............
    Haven't they installed reman/rebuilt trans in the past?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post
    Finally checked the rear compression and rebound information you requested. The suspesion compresses maybe 1" to 1-1/2" with some hard pushed (I am 195 lbs). The rebound is quick with no detectable oscillation in the suspension. Very taught.
    OK, I got out the tape measure and why I pushed had my brother-in-law see how far I could compress the rear suspension. The max I could compress it was 1/2". My apologies, my earlier guesstimate was way off.

On a seprate note, I noted that the rear of the car appeared to be bit higher. Fronts are 1-7/16" tire to fender and rears are 1-7/8". I didn't measure this before the new struts, but probably didn't matter since they were shot. Shouldn't these measurements be a lot closer together, maybe 1/8" difference, not 7/16"?

If my central valve is OK, is addressing this height difference relatively simple for the dealer? I assume that if the valve is shot, its shot and needs to be replaced. Any way to tell if the valve is shot?

Thanks for your help guys.
    Topcat_92

Topcat,

I think the dealer installed the old shocks in your car. The following is an email from my local dealer confirming one of the four shocks they ordered for me mid last year. The part # matches one of your parts, and I have other emails containing same part # as you posted.

[CENTER]Audi West Covina[/CENTER]

This email confirms a part has been special ordered for you.
    SPO Number: 08200010
    Part Number: 4B3413031P
    Description: SHOCKABSOR
    Balance Due:
    Another email will be sent when the part arrives.
    If you have any questions concerning your special order, please reference the SPO number when contacting us.
    Audi West Covina