Thread: R8 5.2 FSI vs 997 Turbo Auto Zeitung

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    thx.
    and in the handling department?

R8 should be quicker after 230km/h due to more wtq/weight.
    Huh!

997 Turbo faster on the track as well. Difference is not big, but I honestly expected much, much more from R8 5.2 FSI...

Porsche achieved 4L less fuel consumption then R8 V10. 997 Turbo was also better at handling... To explain little bit-it is latest MY09 997 Turbo manual with LSD and latest software for its PTM AWD system.
    Both cars were on standard tires.

Further bad news-I received email from my Motorpresse friend-both AMS and Sport Auto are currently testing two examples of R8 5.2 FSI. Results are not great at all...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Huh!

997 Turbo faster on the track as well. Difference is not big, but I honestly expected much, much more from R8 5.2 FSI...

Porsche achieved 4L less fuel consumption then R8 V10. 997 Turbo was also better at handling... To explain little bit-it is latest MY09 997 Turbo manual with LSD and latest software for its PTM AWD system.
    Both cars were on standard tires.
    That is a little surprising that the Porsche was quicker on the track but as every road tester has ever wrote about the R8's ability to give driver's that added confidence in it's handling balance that very few cars can match, the LP560 included. So while the Porsche in the right hand may indeed be quicker on this and other occasions I doubt that in the hands of a car enthusiast of average to better ability like most people are that own these cars will continue to be the quicker car.

From my experience of the 997 unless Porsche have totally changed it's character I doubt it's as easy a car to drive quickly as the R8 definitely is. Though like all cars that are mid engined it does require respect and if you over step the mark it will bit back.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Further bad news-I received email from my Motorpresse friend-both AMS and Sport Auto are currently testing two examples of R8 5.2 FSI. Results are not great at all...
    Hey, you have to take the rough with the smooth and not everyone will either like it or agree with each other. We will see over the next few months some rave reviews of the R8 and some less so excellent reviews. As I have free will I will choose to ignore the bad ones and only read the glowing reviews.
    Search and you will find the truth.