Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R8 5.2 FSI vs 997 Turbo Auto Zeitung

Qisha,

Trying to send you a PM, but it is rejected as your mailbox is full !

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Qisha is basically confirming what I reckon would be the case, that is the R8 will pull ahead as speed increases but that may not always be the case as from one example to another actual engine output can differ slightly.

So in my opinion Kreso, please mate stick with the R8.
    Sorry Leadfoot, you were saying the r8v10 profits due to his Na engine on higher speed over the Turbo on higher speeds. Nobody else says that.

now the discussion is over drag. And there will be simple figuers for r8 and 911 turbo. One of them have better drag coeficent.

And on Qisha statement i dont see the point where r8 over takes the turbo, he mentiond just his better drag coefficent at higher speeds.
    We still have the unknown gearing ratio, we still dont know how the engine performce at high speed, and we never know if porsche gives a little extra boost on the turbo...

R8 5.2 FSI cw is 0.37 BTW. 997 Turbo 0.31cw so...

I wont comment any more until I see test results from AMS, Sport Auto and Italian Quattroruote. Uk mags? Hmm, no thanks.

OK, maybe it's a guess as to why I think the R8v10 will pull away at higher speed due to the fact that the M6 did just that when tested against the 997Turbo in the recent Driver Republic review and video that included the R8v8, if you check around the 3:50 you will see exactly what I mean. With the R8v10 you have an engine that revs even harder and higher, produces even more torque over a wider rev range and higher up the rev range. It also has a smaller surface area at the front plus it weights less.

Basically everything is stacked in the R8's favour to be the quicker car, plus Kreso also informed us that this Turbo was quicker than every other one tested so maybe it was a one-off and other test will indeed show the R8 to be quicker.

Who knows.
    Search and you will find the truth.

i know one thing. there i a special, magical quality to driving the R8 that no current porsche can touch. this is a fact my friends. we are whoring too much on plain numbers if you ask me.

park the two side by side and give the choice of one to a regular person- guess wich one they take home?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

@leadfoot. dont forget the 7 gear smg3 of the m6, instead of the 6 gear of the 911 turbo. R8 will be aswell on 6 gear.

I think this 7the gear extremly helps the m6..

Quote Originally Posted by audi_ch View Post
    @leadfoot. dont forget the 7 gear smg3 of the m6, instead of the 6 gear of the 911 turbo. R8 will be aswell on 6 gear.

I think this 7the gear extremly helps the m6..
    Maybe you are more familiar with the gearing of the M6 than myself but I would assume that the M6 can pretty more reach it's 155mph limiter in 5th gear, which is probably slightly less than what the Turbo should reach in it's 5th gear, I guessing the Porsche will reach about 10~15mph more (maybe).

My opinion is that if you have an engine reving to 8700rpm as the R8v10 does compared to around 6500rpm for the Porsche you have shorter gearing reaching the same potential speeds per gear, so while the early part of the race is so quick in time and each gear is despense with so quickly it really takes the longer gears (4th, 5th and 6th) to really show any difference.

Most races I have witnessed when comparing turbo vs N/A high revving cars is that the turbo makes itself felt in the first half of each gear with the N/A car controlling the latter half.

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i know one thing. there i a special, magical quality to driving the R8 that no current porsche can touch. this is a fact my friends. we are whoring too much on plain numbers if you ask me.

park the two side by side and give the choice of one to a regular person- guess wich one they take home?
    Chick magnet thing? Hmm...

I love R8, BUT I am not pleased with performance of my car. Few days ago I was overtaken by 997.2 Carrera S PDK. I pushed my R8 4.2 FSI as hard as possible, just I could not touch him...

When I had latest issue of Auto Bild Sportscar edition in my hands I wondered if test results of 997.2 CS are little bit overrated(0-200km/h in 14.3s!!!). Now, I know that new Carrera S PDK is that fast...

I still love R8 in both versions, but unlike most R8 fans I am aware of its(minor or not) shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    When I had latest issue of Auto Bild Sportscar edition in my hands I wondered if test results of 997.2 CS are little bit overrated(0-200km/h in 14.3s!!!). Now, I know that new Carrera S PDK is that fast...
    Seriously, 14.3s. That is incredible.

How do this compare to the manual 997.2 CS?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Seriously, 14.3s. That is incredible.

How do this compare to the manual 997.2 CS?
    Manual is about 1s slower till 200km/h.

I drove 997.2 CS equiped with SPASM, PDK and SC Plus. Honestly, I am as impressed as possible.
    Simply said it is faster car then R8 4.2 FSI. Period.
    What I liked a lot is PDK is Sport D(Auto) mode. It works brilliantly here-best choice for dynamic daily driving. Standard PDK mode is good only for heavy traffic and slow down town driving. Sport Plus on the other hand is total attack mode for track driving. Gearchanges at rev limiter all the times, more agressive throttle bips on downshifts-fastest mode for the Ring.
    Most amazing thing is how good is PDK calibrated in D mode. In both Sport and Sport Plus I did not feel any need for M(manual) override!! Kudos to Porsche here-they nailed it.
    PDK is in my opinion the very best DCT currently on the market.

One other thing-I felt great in 997.2 CS. I did not missed my R8 4.2 FSI at all. That is not good thing at all...

not chick magnet. people magnet.

if i want to overtake i'll buy an evo, mod it, and kill GTR's, the CS that over took you, and 997 TT's all day. so?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

if i want to overtake i'll buy an evo, mod it, and kill GTR's, the CS that over took you, and 997 TT's all day. so?
    OK. People magnet.

Just two questions for you:

1. Do you feel as me that AWD provides very agricultural on R8 at steering full lock or parking speed? I do.

2. Oil consumption... Little bit too high for my taste. Service department said everything is OK. Just, I still think that V8 likes oil little bit too much for my taste. Your experince?

I apparently expected little bit too much from my R8...

Just to get the things sorted out-I will buy R8 5.2 FSI. I still love my R8 4.2 FSI manual more then Porsche 997.2 Carrera S PDK.

Just, I am not blind Audi fan. Some other cars are good as well, Porsche 997.2 models specially. ...and as Leadie wrote in another thread-TT RS will give you almost the same thrill as R8 4.2 FSI for much, much smaller amount on money...

OK. People magnet.

Just two questions for you:

1. Do you feel as me that AWD provides very agricultural on R8 at steering full lock or parking speed? I do.

2. Oil consumption... Little bit too high for my taste. Service department said everything is OK. Just, I still think that V8 likes oil little bit too much for my taste. Your experince?

I apparently expected little bit too much from my R8...
    look dude, i will be frank.

i think the audi R8 is the baddest looking, best handling, most unique, comfortable, and extraordinary car on the planet (ok, except maybe the new zonda r or DBS in some ways)....

i wouldn't trade it for any porsche ever ever ever ever. you can throw porsches at me all day, you can tell me the base cayman has better armrests or that a lady in a bike is faster or that the 997.2 DPK is this or that better than my car, or that the 997.2 TT DPK will be faster in third gear than the R8 V10.....

a n d i c o u l d g i v e a r a t s A$$ about all of those things.

i have never met a porsche driver in person or on the street or a GTR driver or even a 599 GTB driver that didn't have some degree of jealousy when they saw my car.

the R8 is an audi. hence- nothing to prove. nuff said.

besides, the look of suffering and helplessness on that 997 TT driver's face when he saw me passing him on a curved on ramp knowing there was nothing he could do about it (after he had blown past me on a straight) was just PRICELESS. he knew that he might as well have been in a Z28 camaro earlier for all the difference the power made.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

You are joking and looking funny with such words
    buy evo and mod it - and you will never overtake 997 turbo or gtr
    and you evo-corch will be just looking funny comparing to 997 turbo:-)

your love in r8 is above the logic - I can't understand it at all...
    i know you would think in other way if you hadn't bought it...

Just to get the things sorted out-I will buy R8 5.2 FSI. I still love my R8 4.2 FSI manual more then Porsche 997.2 Carrera S PDK.

Just, I am not blind Audi fan. Some other cars are good as well, Porsche 997.2 models specially. ...and as Leadie wrote in another thread-TT RS will give you almost the same thrill as R8 4.2 FSI for much, much smaller amount on money...
    I would advise to go with Porsche - its much better car if we talk about 997.2 models
    R8 is great but not that geat
    TT-RS is much better also than R8 in terms price and quality

lol

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    You are joking and looking funny with such words
    buy evo and mod it - and you will never overtake 997 turbo or gtr
    and you evo-corch will be just looking funny comparing to 997 turbo:-)

your love in r8 is above the logic - I can't understand it at all...
    i know you would think in other way if you hadn't bought it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3S2I8UWqIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Z2pPbVFxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZofPpPWKQ
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

BTW, I think that R8 5.2 FSI is fast enough in straight line... Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEe1BxW7HE Faster for sure then my R8 4.2 FSI...