Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R8 5.2 FSI vs 997 Turbo Auto Zeitung

I think being slightly slower than 911 Turbo means nothing. Just imagine if R8 would be 0.2 sec or so faster with it's n/a engine versus turbo. Porsche needs only the cheapest chip and things shift round immediately. It is silly to argue about straight line acceleration times between these two cars, not to mention that R8 is so much closer to GT-3 RS or Ferrari 430 than Turbo...It is a track oriented car, while Turbo is better in everyday use, and also faster.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

R8 5.2 FSI track oriented car? With 1640kg measured weight? Hmm...

R8 5.2 FSI 1640kg
    997 Turbo 1520kg

Hmm...weight of that 997 Turbo is fishy. R8 5.2 FSI R Tronic weight of 1640kg is about right since official weight is 1625kg without options.

1520kg is IMHO not possible. 1585kg is official Porsche figure. PCCBs and Bucket seats could shave 25kg, NOT 65kg. Other thing-this example of 997 Turbo is the fastest 997 Turbo ever measured by German magazine. 11.9s is very fast, faster then most 997 GT2 measured by all German magazine.

I willl stay with my R8 5.2 FSI order. This comparison is somehow strange since weight figure for 997 Turbo are very skiny indeed...

BTW, 997 Turbo was 0.5s faster on test track. After rereading the test for three times my verdict is-AZ comparison is little bit pro-Porsche...

Yes, because of it's drivetrain and handling. Or what else would you call it?
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

how much more %-wise is V10 vs V8 in EU? rumors in the us are 30% more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or about 16% more than newest 997 TT!!!!!!!!!

ridiculous.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    how much more %-wise is V10 vs V8 in EU? rumors in the us are 30% more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or about 16% more than newest 997 TT!!!!!!!!!

ridiculous.
    R8 5.2 FSI is costing marginally less then 997 Turbo in Germany.

997 Turbo is a bargin in USA. If I were living in USA I would buy 997 Turbo without thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    R8 5.2 FSI is costing marginally less then 997 Turbo in Germany.

997 Turbo is a bargin in USA. If I were living in USA I would buy 997 Turbo without thinking.
    is that for equally equipped cars (i.e. navigation, etc...)?

if so i think you are 100% correct. 997 TT is a bargain. i for one will not buy the V10 if it is priced thus. were it to be priced in accordance with actual logic (on par with 997 TT) it is a no brainer for me. but i think audi is tempting hubris if the rumors are correct. the market in the states is sh*t right now. and V8's are being backed out of. but i would never replace my V8 with the porsche.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    is that for equally equipped cars (i.e. navigation, etc...)?

if so i think you are 100% correct. 997 TT is a bargain. i for one will not buy the V10 if it is priced thus. were it to be priced in accordance with actual logic (on par with 997 TT) it is a no brainer for me. but i think audi is tempting hubris if the rumors are correct. the market in the states is sh*t right now. and V8's are being backed out of. but i would never replace my V8 with the porsche.
    it's a matter of habit
    997.2 Turbo is just better.
    Take it easy

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    it's a matter of habit
    997.2 Turbo is just better.
    Take it easy
    ...a matter of opinion.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

The real bargains (due to the copllapse in the Pound) for V10 are in UK.

V8 - basic spec (WITHOUT Sat Nav, mag ride, B&O, lights) GBP £78,800 - EUR 86,000
    V10 - basic spec (but that includes mag ride, B&O, Sat Nav, LED lights, lighting package, elec seats ......) GBP £99,500 - EUR 108,000

Allowing for the high V10 spec, the difference between V8 and V10 is about £10,000.

I think V10 in UK is over EUR 30,000 cheaper than in Europe !

audi has to be factoring in volume and demand in each market to come up with these prices. i wonder if porsche is influencing audi pricing in the US with the V10. it would be a way of making the car less desirable when compared to its "bargain" TT.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

why didn't they simply put the V10 TFSI from the RS6 in there?

Size, weight, overheating problems (catching fire !) in test cars

Dear Friends,

the R8 5.2 FSI is rated to be a match for the 997 Turbo. Both manual and similar equipped the Turbo is a nose at front, regarding acceleration. At higher speed the R8 profits from its drag coefficient. You got to keep in mind, Porsche engines are always very healthy, especialy the turboed.

Track wise, the "nose advantage" is on the R8 side.

In the end, the R8 5.2 FSI is as fast as favored... in this case.

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

the R8 5.2 FSI is rated to be a match for the 997 Turbo. Both manual and similar equipped the Turbo is a nose at front, regarding acceleration. At higher speed the R8 profits from its drag coefficient. You got to keep in mind, Porsche engines are always very healthy, especialy the turboed.

Qisha
    great info! much appreciated
    and what about r8 v10 vs 997.2 turbo PDK? soon this car will be in the market

997.2 turbo will be the stat of the art.

Internal test should him almost to close to the gt2

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

Qisha
    Thanks.

I am staying with R8 5.2 FSI. Early next week you will get an email from me with comission number.

Best Regards,

Kreso

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    great info! much appreciated
    and what about r8 v10 vs 997.2 turbo PDK? soon this car will be in the market
    Qisha is basically confirming what I reckon would be the case, that is the R8 will pull ahead as speed increases but that may not always be the case as from one example to another actual engine output can differ slightly.

As for the Turbo with PDK, well then I would give the nod to the Porsche on every occasion. But as much as I like the 997 for looks it's not the kind of shape that in my mind automatically makes me think 'supercar', it's shape is decidedly sportscar which isn't the case with the R8. There is a since of occasion with the R8 that Audi has captured brilliantly.

So in my opinion Kreso, please mate stick with the R8.
    Search and you will find the truth.