Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New best 1/4 mile ET for my '03 RS6: 11.8 @ 117!

Actually you can run even more timing at your altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    Falco X3, where is Colorado are you? Wonder if I've seen you around...

10secs4, how much slower would it be on a 91 tune? Being at high altitude I'm thinking there me be some tweaking to be done to have the tune work well at 6k feet.

Falco X3, where is Colorado are you? Wonder if I've seen you around...

10secs4, how much slower would it be on a 91 tune? Being at high altitude I'm thinking there me be some tweaking to be done to have the tune work well at 6k feet.
    The only difference between my 91 and 93 octane tunes is spark advance. If you want my best guess based on all of my testing and data logging, I'd say the difference between 91 and 93 octane is 1 tenth and 1 MPH in the 1/4 mile.

I can do some back to back 91/93 octane testing at either the track or on the street using Ross-Tech's latest VCDS release (formerly known as VAG-COM). It has a built-in acceleration tool that can give you your 0-60 MPH, 1/4 mile ET, 1/8 mile ET, 1/4 mile trap speed, etc. It's semi-accurate, but for these purposes all we're trying to do is test the difference between two runs -- as opposed to absolute accuracy -- so for that it's perfect. Here's a screen shot of it. This is from early testing done last fall:

Elevation is a non-issue on ME7.1.1 ECMs. It features an on board F96 elevation sensor, as seen here:

The only time you'd need a custom tune for an RS6 at elevation is if you had radical modifications, a lot of boost, etc. At the boost levels seen with my tune, it's not an issue at all. Even if it were, it's something I could easily rectify.

2003 Audi RS6
    11.84 @ 116.76 | Video | Timeslip
    Mods: No pre-cats & my own custom tuned ECU/TCU. That's it!

2000 Audi S4
    10.73 @ 132.76 | Video | Timeslip
    Mods: K04s + bolt-ons + weight reduction (bone stock motor!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f96_altitude_sensor.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	7806  

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Actually you can run even more timing at your altitude.
    On a normally aspirated car, you're absolutely correct. On a turbo car, however, it gets a little trickier.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4
    Mods: K04s + bolt-ons + weight reduction (bone stock motor!).

Falco X3, where in Colorado are you? Wonder if I've seen you around...
    Parker. I've seen your car at the Euro GTG back in January.
    2000 Audi S4 - Borla / ASP / H&R / 034 / JHM

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    I am thinking of picking up another though and going all out with it: upgraded turbos, built trans, high stall converter, etc. I think it would be extremely easy to get one of these into the 10's.
    You have GOT to do that!!!
    Huge congrats on the 11 sec runs!
    The videos were great, too. What a composed brute of a car. No squeeling, smoking, fanfare, etc. Just awesome numbers! Giving the other guys more than a few lengths was a nice added touch for drama.
    Nice job!

Awesome!

Your 60ft times are really impressive. Those are the 60ft times I cut in my Syclone so I know how violent of a launch that is.

You much be boost launching (brake launching)...how much boost can you hold at the line?

I'm leaving the line with 7-8psi of boost and launching at around 2400 RPMs. My RS6 currently has snow tires on it. If you watch my first 11.8 run, you can actually see and hear them spin for the first 10-20 feet or so.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4
    Mods: K04s + bolt-ons + weight reduction (bone stock motor!)

Great runs - congrats! Like SeattleS4 said, impressive 60ft times. But what's with the R/Ts? -lol

So you are power-braking (boost launching, brake launching, whatever it's called)? I thought I had read that the RS6 will not allow you to apply brakes and gas at the same time? Maybe I misunderstood what I read, or your ECU/TCU changes get around it? I know I could just try it on my car, but didn't want to risk throwing a CEL or anything.

Registered User allwheelsdriven's Avatar
    the beauty of all this is that you get those times and you still have cushy heated seating for 4

Wait, I just watched the video again. So your 1/4 time doesn't start until you've crossed the line? Meaning, the R/T doesn't affect the time anyway? Sorry, I'm a bit of a drag-racing noob

Congrats!! Very nice drag strip times!

Do you think you have enough gearing to hit 185mph? It seems like the car would have some trouble topping 175mph based on the revs during your video runs. Did you raise the redline?

Tom

You've got one quick beast there. Love to see it going off the line that hard!

Have you dynoed it to see how much ponnies and torque it's putting down?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow RS6 View Post
    Wait, I just watched the video again. So your 1/4 time doesn't start until you've crossed the line? Meaning, the R/T doesn't affect the time anyway? Sorry, I'm a bit of a drag-racing noob

your reaction time doesnt' have anything to do with your 1/4 time.

you can sit at the line for an hour before you run and still click off a nice run. all that matters is from the time both staging lights turn off until you pass the 1/4 marker.
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow RS6 View Post
    Great runs - congrats! Like SeattleS4 said, impressive 60ft times. But what's with the R/Ts? -lol

So you are power-braking (boost launching, brake launching, whatever it's called)? I thought I had read that the RS6 will not allow you to apply brakes and gas at the same time? Maybe I misunderstood what I read, or your ECU/TCU changes get around it? I know I could just try it on my car, but didn't want to risk throwing a CEL or anything.
    That was just me toying with the competition. I gave them both huge jumps and still reeled them in with no problem.

Yep, I'm power-braking the car at the line. My software enables you to hold the gas and brake at the same time without the computer dropping the boost and/or closing the throttle like it does with the factory tune.

My software won't trigger any CELs or any other lights on the cluster for that matter. I've also tuned the software so that even if you gut your cats or go with aftermarket downpipes, you will not get a CEL for the rear O2 sensors. Thus, there's no need to relocate the rear O2s or stack defoulers to fool the computer.

Despite the substantial power/torque increase, the car still runs and drives just as smooth as stock with my software.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Congrats!! Very nice drag strip times!

Do you think you have enough gearing to hit 185mph? It seems like the car would have some trouble topping 175mph based on the revs during your video runs. Did you raise the redline?

Tom
    Absolutely. I'm only crossing the traps in beginning of 4th gear. I still have the rest of 4th gear as well as 5th gear. I think the RS6 with the stock gearing and 255/40/18's has enough gear for around 200 MPH, although I haven't crunched the numbers.

I have not changed the shift points or rev limiter with my current tune. I have tried bumping up the shift points but the car was actually slower during my testing. With some real turbos and no boost taper to redline, I think then the car would benefit from higher shift points and a higher rev limiter. But as of right now, I think the factory shift points are perfect.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    You've got one quick beast there. Love to see it going off the line that hard!

Have you dynoed it to see how much ponnies and torque it's putting down?
    Not yet, but I hope to dyno it soon. I'm planning on dynoing it back to back with the stock tune and then my tune, then overlay the data to see the difference. I'll be sure to post up the charts once I get the car dynoed.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    That was just me toying with the competition. I gave them both huge jumps and still reeled them in with no problem.

Yep, I'm power-braking the car at the line. My software enables you to hold the gas and brake at the same time without the computer dropping the boost and/or closing the throttle like it does with the factory tune.

My software won't trigger any CELs or any other lights on the cluster for that matter. I've also tuned the software so that even if you gut your cats or go with aftermarket downpipes, you will not get a CEL for the rear O2 sensors. Thus, there's no need to relocate the rear O2s or stack defoulers to fool the computer.

Despite the substantial power/torque increase, the car still runs and drives just as smooth as stock with my software.
    Toying with the competition..........priceless

Thanks for clearing that up about the power-braking, I thought I had read that you couldn't with the factory tune. So I guess the times the magazines got back in '03 were just by smashing the gas. One more question, how are you shifting? I assume you're doing it manually, but am curious if you tried "S" mode also? And what the time difference was? Ok, so it was 3 questions