Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New best 1/4 mile ET for my '03 RS6: 11.8 @ 117!

New best 1/4 mile ET for my '03 RS6: 11.8 @ 117!

As some of you know, I've been street tuning my RS6 for the past 8 months. Along the way I've tried out all kinds of new things and different combinations trying to see which yield the quickest acceleration and most horsepower. After 37 different file revisions, I was finally content with a couple of my latest files, so I decided to run the car last night at Island Dragway to see what she could do. Island Dragway is an NHRA quarter mile dragstrip in Great Meadows, NJ.

My best pass of the night on straight 93 octane pump fuel was 12.0@113. I then added 3 gallons of 104 octane, uploaded my race tune and ran 11.84@116.76 which was then backed up with a 11.86@116.22. I was pretty happy with these numbers to say the least!

My race weight with me in it was 4357lbs. That included my helmet, laptop, misc. tools (just in case), and a few other items. I did, however, remove the small inflatable, donut sized spare and portable air compressor. I believe both of those combine to weigh somewhere around 50lbs.

Here's the link to the timeslips:

RS6 11 Second Timeslips

And here's the link to the video that my friend Mike with the 9 second Evo shot:

RS6 11 Second Video

As far as I know, this is the quickest and fastest RS6 in North America. What's funny about that is my RS6 has only two modifications! It would be really easy for anyone to replicate these mods and go just as fast. Neither of these mods are all that expensive either, so you too can go 11's on a budget. With RS6s selling for as little as $15K to $20K on the net these days, I really think it's the best overall car out there in terms of luxury, performance, value, etc.

The only mods I have are:

Gutted out pre-catalysts
    Custom tuned ECM/TCM.

Boost is a solid 11.5 to 12.0psi to redline. A lot of tuners run 1 bar of boost or more, but I found through lots of back to back, A-B A-B testing that the car is actually faster with less boost and more timing. My TCM software makes for quicker, firmer shifts while retaining the factory's DSP (Dynamic Shift Programming).

My RS6 currently has 94K miles on it, the last 8K of which have been HARD miles, including hundreds of WOT runs and it has been 100% reliable (knock on wood). I have not had a single problem with it and the transmission and torque converter are all original and untouched. I see about 2-3 more miles per gallon with my tune than I do with the factory calibration. Last night on the way back from the track I averaged 23.3 MPG on the highway.

If anyone has any questions about my RS6 or about the custom tuning that I offer for the RS6, please feel free to e-mail me at marc@10seconds4.com.

2003 Audi RS6
    11.84 @ 116.76 | Video | Timeslip
    Mods: No pre-cats & my own custom tuned ECU/TCU. That's it!

2000 Audi S4
    10.73 @ 132.76 | Video | Timeslip
    Mods: K04s + bolt-ons + weight reduction (bone stock motor!).

What happened to your thread on Audizine? I have a few questions. Did you remove your own precats? Were you able to remove the downpipes without removing the engine/ transmission? If you were to tune my car would you need the whole car or just the ECU/ TCU? I have to admit, you have my full attention.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Did you have to pull the downpipes to gut the pre-cats? How does the car sound with the gutted pre-cats? Any codes from the O2 sensors with the pre-cats gutted? Did you do the TCU tune yourself? Sounds lke you have a real screamer. I had mine to an indicated 175mph the other night but mine is definitely not as quick as your times, I think my tranny maybe slipping a little. I have Revo ECU, MTM TCU. I have flushed the tranny fluid and changed the filter. I recently did a tune-up, plugs, N75, some new vacuum lines. She feels a little stronger, maybe I'll try another acceleration run as it really didn't feel very strong past 150~155 before but it pulled fairly strong to 175mph before I let up.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ok,

I like the fact that you posted real world proof with this thread. Nice vids. I also like the fact that your not just taking wastegate duty cycles and making the tables 100 across the board.

So you have my attention as well.

Can you send me any data logs of a typical run?

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    As some of you know, I've been street tuning my RS6 for the past 8 months. Along the way I've tried out all kinds of new things and different combinations trying to see which yield the quickest acceleration and most horsepower. After 37 different file revisions, I was finally content with a couple of my latest files, so I decided to run the car last night at Island Dragway to see what she could do. Island Dragway is an NHRA quarter mile dragstrip in Great Meadows, NJ.

My best pass of the night on straight 93 octane pump fuel was 12.0@113. I then added 3 gallons of 104 octane, uploaded my race tune and ran 11.84@116.76 which was then backed up with a 11.86@116.22. I was pretty happy with these numbers to say the least!

My race weight with me in it was 4357lbs. That included my helmet, laptop, misc. tools (just in case), and a few other items. I did, however, remove the small inflatable, donut sized spare and portable air compressor. I believe both of those combine to weigh somewhere around 50lbs.

Here's the link to the timeslips:

RS6 11 Second Timeslips

And here's the link to the video that my friend Mike with the 9 second Evo shot:

RS6 11 Second Video

As far as I know, this is the quickest and fastest RS6 in North America. What's funny about that is my RS6 has only two modifications! It would be really easy for anyone to replicate these mods and go just as fast. Neither of these mods are all that expensive either, so you too can go 11's on a budget. With RS6s selling for as little as $15K to $20K on the net these days, I really think it's the best overall car out there in terms of luxury, performance, value, etc.

The only mods I have are:

Gutted out pre-catalysts
    Custom tuned ECM/TCM.

Boost is a solid 11.5 to 12.0psi to redline. A lot of tuners run 1 bar of boost or more, but I found through lots of back to back, A-B A-B testing that the car is actually faster with less boost and more timing. My TCM software makes for quicker, firmer shifts while retaining the factory's DSP (Dynamic Shift Programming).

My RS6 currently has 94K miles on it, the last 8K of which have been HARD miles, including hundreds of WOT runs and it has been 100% reliable (knock on wood). I have not had a single problem with it and the transmission and torque converter are all original and untouched. I see about 2-3 more miles per gallon with my tune than I do with the factory calibration. Last night on the way back from the track I averaged 23.3 MPG on the highway.

If anyone has any questions about my RS6 or about the custom tuning that I offer for the RS6, please feel free to e-mail me at marc@10seconds4.com.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    What happened to your thread on Audizine? I have a few questions. Did you remove your own precats? Were you able to remove the downpipes without removing the engine/ transmission? If you were to tune my car would you need the whole car or just the ECU/ TCU? I have to admit, you have my full attention.
    An Audizine moderator removed my threads because I am not an authorized vendor/advertiser over there and thus not allowed to post on their site. I hope my thread over here on RS6.com won't meet the same fate now that I've let the cat out of the bag on that. Since I don't see a single vendor, advertiser, or ad banner over here, I'm hoping I'll be OK.

I gutted out the pre-cats with a buddy of mine who is master Audi technician. It took us a solid day to complete the job. It's a lot of work. We didn't need to remove the engine or transmission though. We did lower it several inches and that allowed us just enough room to access the downpipes. We got lucky in that none of the studs broke. I've heard of some guys breaking the studs while trying to remove their downpipes and then it's almost guaranteed that you have to drop the engine. The reason why I say we got lucky is because my RS6 has over 90K miles on it and I was almost expecting the studs to snap due to corrosion and rust. My friend has a ton of pictures that we took. I'll see if I can get them during the week and I'll post them up for you guys.

All I would need is your ECU and TCU. I could overnight them back the same or next day that I receive them. PM or e-mail me for more details.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Did you have to pull the downpipes to gut the pre-cats? How does the car sound with the gutted pre-cats? Any codes from the O2 sensors with the pre-cats gutted? Did you do the TCU tune yourself? Sounds lke you have a real screamer. I had mine to an indicated 175mph the other night but mine is definitely not as quick as your times, I think my tranny maybe slipping a little. I have Revo ECU, MTM TCU. I have flushed the tranny fluid and changed the filter. I recently did a tune-up, plugs, N75, some new vacuum lines. She feels a little stronger, maybe I'll try another acceleration run as it really didn't feel very strong past 150~155 before but it pulled fairly strong to 175mph before I let up.
    Yep, you definitely need to remove the downpipes from the car in order to gut them out. Some guys even pull the motor to gain access to them, but we were able to do it without going that far. If you look it up on ELSA -- the system used by Audi dealers for troubleshooting and servicing Audis -- it actually lists "Remove engine" as one of the first steps. It was pretty funny the way that it was worded.

There are no codes or CEL for the rear O2s with my calibration. That has been taken care of, so you need not worry about relocating the rear O2s or stacking up spark plug defoulers.

I did do the TCU tune, although not by myself. I've received contributing help and support from friends across the pond. I only had to make a couple small changes to a handful of maps in the TCU. The Bosch Gmbh engineers already did a really good job with the transmission tuning on this car and the DSP stuff is truly fascinating.

I've only had my RS6 up to around 165, but I bet it would go 185+ without a problem based on how quickly it got up to 165. Here are a couple 0-150 MPH and 0-155 videos from inside my RS6. These were taken over the summer towards the beginning of my tuning R&D. I did not have the gutted pre-cats at this time either. BTW, according to back to back runs done with similar oil/coolant/intake air temps on the same exact stretch of road in the same direction, etc., gutting out the pre-cats was worth approx. 1 tenth and 1 MPH in the 1/4 mile on my tuned RS6. I was expecting a little more than that, but then again, I'm only running 11.5-12.0psi of boost, so I'm sure the benefits of gutted pre-cats will be better realized at higher boost/power levels. It just doesn't look like these turbos are efficient past 11-12psi, at least not on the 4.2L motor. I was thinking about tweaking the wastegate actuators to see if I can hold more boost to redline without massive taper, but if I'm going to be dropping the motor, I might as well just install some bigger turbos.

0-150 MPH Video
    0-155 MPH Video

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

The car sounds awesome with the pre-cats removed! You can really hear the turbos spooling up now. It's not really any louder, it just sounds much cooler!

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Ok,

I like the fact that you posted real world proof with this thread. Nice vids. I also like the fact that your not just taking wastegate duty cycles and making the tables 100 across the board.

So you have my attention as well.

Can you send me any data logs of a typical run?

Thanks for the info
    Thanks for your kind words. I'm hoping to get the car on the dyno soon. I'll be dynoing it with the factory tune, then my tune on 93 octane, and then my tune on the pump/race mix. My race tune is a blended tune which can be run on a mix of 93/104 or 93/100. I wanted to tune for a blend so that guys don't have to worry about draining their pump fuel out. Still, you don't want to add race fuel to a tank that's 3/4 full already.

Believe it or not but I didn't data log a single run from the track. I have tons of logs from the street though. Is there anything specific that you want to see? Overall timing? Timing correction factor? Boost? O2 voltages? Anything else?

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Wow! Big improvement for a chip! I clocked 0-200 km/h around 14 seconds? Big wow!

I wonder what else you could get out of it with a full exhaust?

PM me with more info!

Street tuning with logs is just about as good as dyno tuning. Its nice to document in the end and post final numbers but we can just about nail the hp from 1/4 times and mph.

I say yes to those parameters for logs. That will get a good snapshot of the tune. Any run will do just pick one.

Thanks again
    Dave

Thanks for your kind words. I'm hoping to get the car on the dyno soon. I'll be dynoing it with the factory tune, then my tune on 93 octane, and then my tune on the pump/race mix. My race tune is a blended tune which can be run on a mix of 93/104 or 93/100. I wanted to tune for a blend so that guys don't have to worry about draining their pump fuel out. Still, you don't want to add race fuel to a tank that's 3/4 full already.

Believe it or not but I didn't data log a single run from the track. I have tons of logs from the street though. Is there anything specific that you want to see? Overall timing? Timing correction factor? Boost? O2 voltages? Anything else?

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

sweet. have heard great things about your S4 tuning. when I get my RS 6 I'll be contacting you about the ECU/TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    Wow! Big improvement for a chip! I clocked 0-200 km/h around 14 seconds? Big wow!

I wonder what else you could get out of it with a full exhaust?

PM me with more info!
    Yep, but those in-car speedo runs were only on pump gas and that was before I gutted the pre-cats. I should do another in-car video to show how quick the car is now and then compare the two, like I did here (comparing stock vs tuned from 0-60 MPH and 0-120 MPH):

Split screen comparison video showing stock vs tuned acceleration

What's also interesting about this comparison is the stock run was done in 17 degree temps whereas the tuned run was done in 60 degree temps! Huge difference there, yet the car was still way faster!

For those folks living in California and other regions of the country where you only have access to 91 octane, I already have a 91 octane tune available.

Edit: I just sent you a PM.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4
    Last edited by 10SecS4; March 15th, 2009 at 04:56.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Street tuning with logs is just about as good as dyno tuning. Its nice to document in the end and post final numbers but we can just about nail the hp from 1/4 times and mph.

I say yes to those parameters for logs. That will get a good snapshot of the tune. Any run will do just pick one.

Thanks again
    Dave
    All of my data logs are in raw form, so what I can do is convert them into easy to read charts and maybe even show the comparison in boost/timing/etc. between stock and tuned. I'll get this up during the week and start a new topic for it. Sound good?

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by FLACO X3 View Post
    sweet. have heard great things about your S4 tuning. when I get my RS 6 I'll be contacting you about the ECU/TCU.
    You certainly picked a good time to buy an RS6! I've seen some of them go for as little as $15K or less at auction in the past few months. It's really unbelievable how much these cars have depreciated. You're talking about a 6 year old car that stickered for $85K+ depreciating to ~$15K to $20K. That's like 80% depreciation. Nuts! Doesn't bother me though especially since I love every second of driving mine and doubt that I'll ever sell it. I am thinking of picking up another though and going all out with it: upgraded turbos, built trans, high stall converter, etc. I think it would be extremely easy to get one of these into the 10's.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

You certainly picked a good time to buy an RS6! I've seen some of them go for as little as $15K or less at auction in the past few months. It's really unbelievable how much these cars have depreciated. You're talking about a 6 year old car that stickered for $85K+ depreciating to ~$15K to $20K. That's like 80% depreciation. Nuts! Doesn't bother me though especially since I love every second of driving mine and doubt that I'll ever sell it. I am thinking of picking up another though and going all out with it: upgraded turbos, built trans, high stall converter, etc. I think it would be extremely easy to get one of these into the 10's.

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4
    yeah theres a lot of RS 6 cars here in CO, i see at least one a day. Last I checked theyre b/w $28k and 43k. I even put my GTRS install on the A4 on hold because Im considering buying one.
    2000 Audi S4 - Borla / ASP / H&R / 034 / JHM

Quote Originally Posted by FLACO X3 View Post
    yeah theres a lot of RS 6 cars here in CO, i see at least one a day. Last I checked theyre b/w $28k and 43k. I even put my GTRS install on the A4 on hold because Im considering buying one.
    If you shop around, you can definitely find one for $20K or less. There's one on Autotrader right now for $17K obo, although it does have over 100K miles. I also saw one on the Chicago Craigslist for $17.9K with only 41K miles, but that could be one of those Nigerian scams so caveat emptor. Here are the links:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=258922914
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1070972029.html

2003 Audi RS6

2000 Audi S4

thanks for the links
    2000 Audi S4 - Borla / ASP / H&R / 034 / JHM

Falco X3, where in Colorado are you? Wonder if I've seen you around...

10secs4, how much slower would it be on a 91 tune? Being at high altitude I'm thinking there me be some tweaking to be done to have the tune work well at 6k feet.
    Last edited by p3u; March 15th, 2009 at 18:21. Reason: typo