Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon deposits in our engines

Carbon deposits in our engines

Quote Originally Posted by KK265 View Post

I too found this interesting, but after reading through most of the post, there was no real conclusion or solution to this obvious problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterrunner View Post
    I too found this interesting, but after reading through most of the post, there was no real conclusion or solution to this obvious problem.
    Perhaps alltogether can press Audi for giving a solution.This is the one of the roles of the forum.Can anybody more experienced as Qisha or Pretender give us an opinion?
    Is Audi aware of the problem?

We're on the case here in the UK.

But the kudos for bringing the matter to our attention belongs to RI_RS4.

He has been building a database of results from RS4's since 07.

Check VW Vortex Forums for the experience of the 2.0L TFSI owners' experience. They're ahead of us on the experience curve.

This FSI technology requires some special oils which I don't believe OEM manufacturers are necessarily aware of...

Quote Originally Posted by SR71 View Post

Check VW Vortex Forums for the experience of the 2.0L TFSI owners' experience. They're ahead of us on the experience curve.

This FSI technology requires some special oils which I don't believe OEM manufacturers are necessarily aware of...

Hence my worries in another post about motor oil. I bet you could reduce this gunky buildup by using 93+ gas and using a quality motor oil such as Pentosin or Motul....
    08' Daytona RS4 Ti package
    05.5' Dolphin S4 auto

I live in Greece.I can not analyze my oil but I am worried.Also I would like to contact AntoRS4 who writes to Rs246 forum because of the work made to his manifold.

Here in the UK most owners use 97-99RON gas.

It appears even VW504 spec oils are not up to the job of preventing fuel dilution in the 4.2 FSI although data is sparse on Euro spec cars.

The fuel dilution effect may be mitigated by being able to run in stratified mode (I understand US cars do not), but the issue of gummed up manifolds/inlets has only recently come to the attention of owners, mostly as a result of attempts to improve flow, and thus performance of the highly strung V8.

US owner RI_RS4 has done significant research into the matter in the US and there is a specific oil blended by Renewable Lubricants for the application:

http://www.renewablelube.com/pdf/Bio...otor%20Oil.pdf

You have the unenviable choice of using a OEM oil which does not do the job but will presumably ensure your warranty, or a special blend oil which does the job but is not approved...

Check the BITOG forums for more info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...325647&fpart=1

What about 507 00 spec oil?Here in Greece all dealers use 507 00 and we use 100 ron petrol.

Here in the UK most owners use 97-99RON gas.

It appears even VW504 spec oils are not up to the job of preventing fuel dilution in the 4.2 FSI although data is sparse on Euro spec cars.

The fuel dilution effect may be mitigated by being able to run in stratified mode (I understand US cars do not), but the issue of gummed up manifolds/inlets has only recently come to the attention of owners, mostly as a result of attempts to improve flow, and thus performance of the highly strung V8.

US owner RI_RS4 has done significant research into the matter in the US and there is a specific oil blended by Renewable Lubricants for the application:

http://www.renewablelube.com/pdf/Bio...otor%20Oil.pdf

You have the unenviable choice of using a OEM oil which does not do the job but will presumably ensure your warranty, or a special blend oil which does the job but is not approved...

Check the BITOG forums for more info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...325647&fpart=1

HOw would I get in touch with RI_RS4? If my assumtion is right he lives in the same state as me. I would really like to talk to him about some solutions etc... Thanks.
    08' Daytona RS4 Ti package
    05.5' Dolphin S4 auto

Quote Originally Posted by Winterrunner View Post
    HOw would I get in touch with RI_RS4? If my assumtion is right he lives in the same state as me. I would really like to talk to him about some solutions etc... Thanks.
    He says he's in New England, so I think you're right about location.

I suggest you create an account on www.rs246.com and go to the B7 RS4 forum where you'll see the thread of fuel additives (spelt wrong though!), and you'll be able to send him a PM.

This may sound stupid, but what about modifying the pcv system to vent into a catch can rather than the intake runners? you'd think that would reduce the amount of oil and hydrocarbons making it into the intake.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Never mind, I was just informed that the Rs4 already has an elaborate catch can system from the factory.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Never mind, I was just informed that the Rs4 already has an elaborate catch can system from the factory.
    See the pictures

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...6a88ea949a480e

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN3439.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSCN3441.jpg

Erm . . . OEM manufacturers are CLEARLY aware of 'special oils' for FSI engines - which is exactly what the VW 504.00 oil standard is for. Sadly, in North America, you don't seem to be inclined to use 504.00 rated oils, and prefer to use the far inferior 502.00 standard.
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Tech (ret’d)
    ------

'07 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with CSiC ceramic brakes) ,
    '06/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,

'03 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by KK265 View Post
    What about 507 00 spec oil?Here in Greece all dealers use 507 00 and we use 100 ron petrol.
    507.00 is the specification for DIESEL engines!
    Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Tech (ret’d)
    ------

'07 Audi B7 (8EC) RS4 quattro saloon 4.2 FSI V8 32v (BNS) (with CSiC ceramic brakes) ,
    '06/7 VW A5 (1K) Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr 2.0T FSI (BWA) DSG, fully loaded, colour coded,

'03 Audi B6 (8E) S4 quattro saloon 4.2 V8 40v (BBK) 6sp man, fully loaded (gone, not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic_Tamer View Post
    507.00 is the specification for DIESEL engines!
    It is ok because it says 504 00/507 00
    http://www.mapodo.de/product_info.ph...roducts_id/392

I know the answer. Quantumblue Motor oils and ACES IV from BND Automotive. Put it in and say goodbye to Carbon. I will forward this thread to Brian he is the owner of BND Automotive and I will get an answer to this problem. BND Auto ships worldwide so everyone will have access to his solution.

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/901818.htm

Simply put if the oil you used did not cook off at temps below 600 degress then there would be little/ no vapors going through the PCV to gum up the valves and intake plenum. Then if you used a Fuel catalyst that dissolved carbon on contact and did not leave a carbon deposit after it burned and left a synthetic film on the topside of the motor your problems would be solved. This is the difference in BND Automotive products and the rest of the stuff on the market.
    Last edited by GEN XER; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:28.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    A friend of mine added a secondary one to his RS4 maybe a month ago along with a fresh cleaning of his valves. He will report on how well it works in a little bit.