Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Analysis Program

I will be coming up due for 8000 mile interval on my BND RS6 oil here shortly. I will send a sample to Blackstone

Anyone else have BND that could send the sample? I have noticed the engine much quieter on startup w/BND.

kday- that point crossed my mind too. Maybe it's the doubled up con-rods rubbing against each other?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Kevin, the phosphorus level in your oil was a lot lower than when I had mine analyzed a while ago, I wonder if Brian has changed the formula...
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...ht=#post220140
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Kevin's sample was Castrol. Brian at BND has not changed his RS6 formula oil.

Thanks for digging up your BND results. I will post my 8000 mile sample soon. And mine is run with ACES as well....should be good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Kevin, the phosphorus level in your oil was a lot lower than when I had mine analyzed a while ago, I wonder if Brian has changed the formula...
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...ht=#post220140

That's right, my oil samples were both the factory spec oil.
    Hardwin, thanks for posting the link. It is an interesting comparison. Your sample had significantly less iron in it than mine, but more nickel. Similar figures for lead.
    I guess the manganese, boron, and phosphorus are from the BND additives.
    Will be interesting to see if this pattern continues with other samples.

I always like this stuff so will try and get the oil sampled when time. Running Amsoil and it's looking clean at ~3,000k. Usually change every 3-5k, but can go 7-8k with this car?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

My BND is still clean at 7k. Doh

I gauge the interval on how hard the car was run. 5k if run hard and 9k if easy

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I always like this stuff so will try and get the oil sampled when time. Running Amsoil and it's looking clean at ~3,000k. Usually change every 3-5k, but can go 7-8k with this car?

I also have a sample for Blackstone after running Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40, and will send that in for analysis and comparison as well. Used this for one interval after Quantum Blue, and never bothered to send it in, but given the resurrection of this thread, what the heck. I know the phosphorus and zinc content will be lower, and it will be interesting to see if iron and lead change as well. And Kevin, I have to think the high phosphorus content in particular is from an additive that Brian uses, likely ZDDP. Current oils have a mandated phosphorus max of 800 ppm, and you can see from my prior Blackstone analysis that the Quantum Blue had 3 times that. Lots of comments on boards of older performance cars speaking to the need for ZDDP in the oil for lubrication, especially at start up. I am moving my RS6 into non-daily driver mode, and I would think having an oil to protect on start up would be even more important, hence Quantum Blue from now on. All that said, this may be most important for those of us looking to get 300,000 miles on our car...after three transmission rebuilds!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

[QUOTE=lswing;257528] I always like this stuff so will try and get the oil sampled when time. Running Amsoil and it's looking clean at ~3,000k. Usually change every 3-5k, but can go 7-8k with this car?[/QUOTE

I'd say it depends on which Amsoil... 5-40 Euro EFM? Or AFL?

I ran 6K on EFM (higher SAPS than AFL) with Amsoil filter, but not by choice. Was simply too busy to change it at 5K (or sooner). Still wasn't black. For some reason Amsoil refuses to turn black in gas engines (does in diesels). Will see how the UOA report turns out.

Plans are to use Amsoil 10-40 AMO come springtime. Much higher TBN, SAPS, among other specs. 5-40 EFM is good stuff, not expensive, but the way you drive stick to 5K/6months
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Well, well

I actually ran my BND sample to 10000 miles. Yes Virginia, 10000 miles on a flashed RS6. Result?

A report that Blackstone quoted as "Perfect"

:-)

BND and Aces FTW.

Not a paid spokesman. I have run Aces in the fuel for years now and cant be happier because we have crap for fuel at the pump in AZ. This particular RS6 has had Aces from 33k and now sits at 59k for miles. Oil has always been the 505.01 Castrol until this run with BND Quantum Blue. I run the Aces mix between 80-90% of the time. I cant believe we can run 10k on this oil and the car is flashed with the good stuff. Learn something new every day.

This car is a keeper for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I will be coming up due for 8000 mile interval on my BND RS6 oil here shortly. I will send a sample to Blackstone

Anyone else have BND that could send the sample? I have noticed the engine much quieter on startup w/BND.
    Last edited by DHall1; May 1st, 2014 at 06:51.

Great results
    Last edited by MaxRS6; May 1st, 2014 at 16:14.
    210K miles rolled

Your phosphorus levels are off the charts...
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

All the current gasoline categories (including the obsolete SH), have placed limitations on the phosphorus content for certain SAE viscosity grades (the xW-20, xW-30) due to the chemical poisoning that phosphorus has on catalytic converters. Phosphorus is a key anti-wear component in motor oil and is usually found in motor oil in the form of zinc dithiophosphate. Each new API category has placed successively lower phosphorus and zinc limits, and thus has created a controversial issue of obsolescent oils needed for older engines, especially engines with sliding (flat/cleave) tappets. API, and ILSAC, which represents most of the worlds major automobile/engine manufactures, states API SM/ILSAC GF-4 is fully backwards compatible, and it is noted that one of the engine tests required for API SM, the Sequence IVA, is a sliding tappet design to test specifically for cam wear protection. Not everyone is in agreement with backwards compatibility, and in addition, there are special situations, such as "performance" engines or fully race built engines, where the engine protection requirements are above and beyond API/ILSAC requirements. Because of this, there are specialty oils out in the market place with higher than API allowed phosphorus levels. Most engines built before 1985 have the flat/cleave bearing style systems of construction, which is sensitive to reducing zinc and phosphorus. Example; in API SG rated oils, this was at the 1200-1300 ppm level for zinc and phosphorus, where the current SM is under 600 ppm. This reduction in anti-wear chemicals in oil has caused premature failures of camshafts and other high pressure bearings in many older automobiles and has been blamed for pre-mature failure of the oil pump drive/cam position sensor gear that is meshed with camshaft gear in some modern engines.

Great numbers, glad to see it's all working well!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Ralph Nader showed up at my door today. Told me that the RS6 was the most unreliable and expensive car to fix in the country. And that it was gross carbon emission pollution vehicle.

I told him to hold my can of beer on his head and go stand over by the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Your phosphorus levels are off the charts...

Here is Papadoc's BND sample which was also run with ACES in the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    I also have a sample for Blackstone after running Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40, and will send that in for analysis and comparison as well. Used this for one interval after Quantum Blue, and never bothered to send it in, but given the resurrection of this thread, what the heck. I know the phosphorus and zinc content will be lower, and it will be interesting to see if iron and lead change as well. And Kevin, I have to think the high phosphorus content in particular is from an additive that Brian uses, likely ZDDP. Current oils have a mandated phosphorus max of 800 ppm, and you can see from my prior Blackstone analysis that the Quantum Blue had 3 times that. Lots of comments on boards of older performance cars speaking to the need for ZDDP in the oil for lubrication, especially at start up. I am moving my RS6 into non-daily driver mode, and I would think having an oil to protect on start up would be even more important, hence Quantum Blue from now on. All that said, this may be most important for those of us looking to get 300,000 miles on our car...after three transmission rebuilds!

I was curious about how the TBN interplays with suggested drain intervals. After reading the UOA reports, went to the source:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

Based on their suggestions looks like 2.5 TBN is the lower limit. But the UOA reports are showing about 1 TBN as a min limit. I'm sure there's more to the story....
    Cheers, G2/Gary

Ralph Nader showed up at my door today. Told me that the RS6 was the most unreliable and expensive car to fix in the country. And that it was gross carbon emission pollution vehicle.

HA, best laugh of the day. Glad to see your results were very similar to mine with the Quantum Blue. And hey, thanks to you for pointing to BND products many years ago. Just amazing though that Brian hasn't expanded his operation.

HA, best laugh of the day. Glad to see your results were very similar to mine with the Quantum Blue. And hey, thanks to you for pointing to BND products many years ago. Just amazing though that Brian hasn't expanded his operation.