Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Analysis Program

Oil Analysis Program

I have posted a definition sheet of what an oil analysis breakdown consists of and what each material in your engine/ oil comes from. Next I have the sample of the Virgin sample of the Castrol TXT 505.01 right from the bottle, never having been in an engine. This will tell us what the oil is made of and more importantly how much anti-wear agents are in the oil and what the TBN number is from the start. Last I have the Sample results for my oil with 9500 miles on it, Science is great and now we can see how this oil performs in the engine and more importantly does it protect out to 10K miles.

Definitions of whats in your oil and where it comes from.

The Virgin Sample. Whats in a basic bottle of Castrol TXT 505.01 This oil is basicly a diesel oil mixture with slightly higher Phosphorus and Zinc than non diesel oils. There is nothing really special about this oil over any other synthetic oil blended under the SL standard for diesels instead of the new SM standards really. All they did was increase the Phos and Zinc the anti-wear properties of this oil. The oil I use has 3 to 4 times the amount of Phos and Zinc found in this oil. The rest of what is in the oil is detergents and dispersents. The TBN was 8.2 which is good, but probably would have been a little higher if they could have heated and pressurized the oil to activate the additives in the oil, so I'll give this oil another 1.5 to 2 on its TBN. This oil is not worth $17 per qt though.

This oil can last and protect your engine up to 10K miles. The TBN is still at 2 with 9500 miles on the oil with most wear in the normal range. The Iron which is from cylinders and the valve trains is showing above avg wear but nothing dangerously abnormal. The lead comes from bearings and they are also showing above avg wear but again not alarmingly high. The .5% fuel in the oil caused my viscosity numbers to be lower than they should be and that also probably caused the abnormal wear on the Iron and lead parts. The ACES IV I use in my fuel will fix this issue as it prevents blowby. Silicon comes from dirty air filters so I probably need to change them based on the amount of silicon in the oil. Insolubles in the oil were .3 so the oil filter is great, still filtering after 9500 miles, this also means the oil does not create a lot of burn off/ carbon/ ash. Blackstone recommended 10,500 miles on this oil. The oil I use has a TBN of 12-14 on its virgin sample. I hope this helps.

Last edited by GEN XER; February 27th, 2009 at 03:58.

Willie,

Thank you for the quick post and info.

PS/I dont know if you want your address on the web. ?? Dont know what sort of characters are out there. LOL

Dave

Oooppps.....

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1 View Post
    willie,

thank you for the quick post and info.

Ps/i dont know if you want your address on the web. ?? Dont know what sort of characters are out there. Lol

dave
    Last edited by GEN XER; February 27th, 2009 at 02:59.

Registered User allwheelsdriven's Avatar
    yeah the sti people are constantly sending their oil to blackstone and posting results. Its fun (or not) to see what your 5w40 sheers down to in 3000 miles

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Oooppps.....

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    LOL

Fixed. Good catch

Quote Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post
    yeah the sti people are constantly sending their oil to blackstone and posting results. Its fun (or not) to see what your 5w40 sheers down to in 3000 miles

It seems that those guys need to talk to Brian at BND Auto.
    Last edited by GEN XER; February 27th, 2009 at 04:39.

So what you're saying is, the recommended oil and filter can last 10K? Which is the interval stated in the maintenance schedule.

Yes this oil will go past 10K actually. Read the last line of the comments from the second analysis. With a 2 TBN this oil still has anti-wear additives and is still protecting the metals in the engine. With insolubles at 0.3ppm after 9500 miles it means this filter is more than capable of performing up to task. Usually I see this number at .5 or .6 after this many miles with filters from Autozone and Advance and believe me I have tested most of them. The only issue with this oil is the fuel present in the oil has degraded it to much and the viscosity and flashpoint numbers are to low. Even with that I can go another 1K miles on this oil. I will fix this by using Aces IV fuel catalyst which will stop the blow-by, thereby protecting the oil from the fuel better over longer oil change intervals. If you are wondering what Aces IV is check here http://www.acesworldwide.com/ Then check out this video to contrast Aces to what is currently on the market. http://www.acesworldwide.com/products_movie.html. You'll have to use it to believe it. It cant be touched.
    Last edited by GEN XER; February 27th, 2009 at 16:20.

It appears the Aces is a fuel additive? How much do you add to the fuel? Do you somehow set up and injector? How much does it cost? Have you used it before?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I would love to see your oil analysis on the BND oil if that is what you are using. I just got off the phone with Brian and it sounds interesting. I just purchased a gallon of the Aces IV. Right now $225 a gallon and $62.50 a qt.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    It appears the Aces is a fuel additive? How much do you add to the fuel? Do you somehow set up and injector? How much does it cost? Have you used it before?
    Normally it is a 1oz to 6gal ratio, so 3.5oz for a full tank. You only treat the fuel you add after that. What Im seeing now is my RS6 likes it at 2 to 2.5oz per tank. Before Aces I was getting less than 300 miles per tank after the Aces I get more than 350 miles per tank. The MPG is not what so much what Im looking for in a 450hp V8, but its a plus, its the top down lube the aces provide in the heads and cylinders that I was more interested in. This stuff is the most advanced fuel treatment I have used.
    Yes the Aces is $225 a gallon but it last me about 6 months treating two cars, sometimes as many as 4, when my wife tells me she has refueled. All in all a gallon of Aces treats 768 gallons of fuel. Im sure he told you all about the lubricity that the fuel we use has lost because of ethanol, this product returns that lubricity back, therefore the cooling effect is also returned. needless to say a cool gasoline engine is more efficient than a hot one. There is a lot of technology behind Aces and the Quantum Blue oils and coolants.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I would love to see your oil analysis on the BND oil if that is what you are using. I just got off the phone with Brian and it sounds interesting. I just purchased a gallon of the Aces IV. Right now $225 a gallon and $62.50 a qt.
    I just ordered my oil last week. I will get a samle as soon as I get it in the car and get some miles on it. I have samples from my VW GTI, and my SRT8 though.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Normally it is a 1oz to 6gal ratio, so 3.5oz for a full tank. You only treat the fuel you add after that. What Im seeing now is my RS6 likes it at 2 to 2.5oz per tank. Before Aces I was getting less than 300 miles per tank after the Aces I get more than 350 miles per tank. The MPG is not what so much what Im looking for in a 450hp V8, but its a plus, its the top down lube the aces provide in the heads and cylinders that I was more interested in. This stuff is the most advanced fuel treatment I have used.
    Yes the Aces is $225 a gallon but it last me about 6 months treating two cars, sometimes as many as 4, when my wife tells me she has refueled. All in all a gallon of Aces treats 768 gallons of fuel. Im sure he told you all about the lubricity that the fuel we use has lost because of ethanol, this product returns that lubricity back, therefore the cooling effect is also returned. needless to say a cool gasoline engine is more efficient than a hot one. There is a lot of technology behind Aces and the Quantum Blue oils and coolants.

I just ordered my oil last week. I will get a samle as soon as I get it in the car and get some miles on it. I have samples from my VW GTI, and my SRT8 though.
    Are you the first owner?If so how did you break in your car?

Also can you PM me your results for the GTI since i drive one i would be intrested. How long was the GTIs oil used?
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Quote Originally Posted by nyrs6 View Post
    Are you the first owner?If so how did you break in your car?

Also can you PM me your results for the GTI since i drive one i would be intrested. How long was the GTIs oil used?
    I am not the first owner. I wish I were. I will send you the GTI samples.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I have two samples of my own to post. Interesting that my samples show elevated lead and iron as well. Anyone have a similar report for a different oil?

my indy actually said they would send my sample next time on the house and i think they use these guys so i'll try to bring this thread back up in a month.

This great info to see, thanks for the updates. I hope to contribute with several samples in the near future...

For those that want an easy UOA program that's affordable, consider going thru Amsoil (they use Oil Analyzers INC). You can order the UOA self mailer kits for wholesale at www.oiloregon.com.

Be great to see more comparative data from our group.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

The thing that puzzles me about the elevated iron is that these engines have relatively little steel in them as far as I know. Besides camshafts and the crankshaft what is there? What are the turbocharger bearings made of?