Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New theory about RS5 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    ...well the petrol engines are, the diesel ones are definitely not top of the class. BMW and now Jaguar (with their new twin sequential turbo v6 configuration) are the best IMHO. Audi need to up their game here.
    Yes it's a bit of a mystery why Audi haven't got their own twin turbo diesel to compete with the BMW and now Jaguar performance diesels. I remember hearing about the likelihood that Audi were working on their own hi-performance diesel that would from an equivalent to their S and RS petrol model, but since that time the whole thing seemed to fizzle out or either it was at best a rumor that started on the Internet.

Though they do have two of the best diesels in the 4.2TDi and the V12TDi (D beast).
    Search and you will find the truth.

I've read in an AUDI timetable sheet that they are coming out with a 3.0 litre 300 hp diesel engine in the A8 in 2010. That I think only means bi-turbo. That should be interesting.
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD

Well, Audi is competing BMW X5 xDrive35d with Q7 4.2 TDI...

There was talk about 3.0 TDI bi-turbo for Cayenne diesel..., but nothing happend.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    So, for you Audi's 5.2 FSI HDZ V10 in R8 is nothing special... First, it is Audi's engine since Audi owns Lambo. Even first Gallardo engine was designed on Audi Block. It is Audi's engine that is using different exhaust and ECU mapping for LP560-4.
    Second, Audi is world leader in DFI engine development. Did you know that Ferrari bought two R8 4.2 FSI for evalution since they do not have any experince with DFI's? Result is California DFI engine that is using almost the same ECU layout as R8's 4.2 FSI...

Now look at this lists...

High reving NA DFI engines:

Audi R8 5.2 FSI
    Audi R8 4.2 FSI
    Ferrari California

Mid reving(up to 7600rpm) DFI engines:

Audi A4 3.2 FSI
    Jaguar XK 5.0
    Porsche 997.2 Carrera S
    Porsche 997.2 Carrera
    Porsche Cayman S

Kompressor DFI engines:

Audi S4
    Jaguar XKR

Biturbo DFI engines:

Audi RS6
    BMW 335i
    BMW 750i

For your information only Nissan GT-R engine is old technology as is Porsche 997 Turbo's. Even new 997.2 GT3 is using old GT1 block based 3.8L engine without DFI.

Audi's engines are pure SOTA IMHO.
    Kreso,what do you mean exactly with "the same ecu layout"?

Ferrari with FPT(fiat powertrain technologies ) developed new california dfi and next v8 and v12

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post
    Kreso,what do you mean exactly with "the same ecu layout"?

Ferrari with FPT(fiat powertrain technologies ) developed new california dfi and next v8 and v12
    I think he means the same type of ECU, supplied by Bosch, i.e. MED9.x, which is now being used by Lamborghini as well in the FSI Gallardo.

Yes. AFAIK California uses Bosch electronics, not my Magnetti Marelli...

From dicussing the potential RS5 engine to who makes the best diesels.

Where did this thread go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    From dicussing the potential RS5 engine to who makes the best diesels.

Where did this thread go wrong.
    When tuning fans jump in... "Oh, NA with 450ps! NO! NO! NO! We want biturbo a la GT-R!"

You are probably one of the few people here(RXBG, Qisha and me could be added) that belive in Audi Engine Development Department.

RS5 will be great car-NO doubt about that.

When tuning fans jump in... "Oh, NA with 450ps! NO! NO! NO! We want biturbo a la GT-R!"

You are probably one of the few people here(RXBG, Qisha and me could be added) that belive in Audi Engine Development Department.

Honestly, Audi could give it a rubber band engine and I would reckon that it would probably be the best rubber band engine ever made, such is my respect for their ability as an engine builder. I don't see the problem with a N/A engine choice, I am expecting it to be easily better than BMW's M3 simply because the RS4's engine was already that good two and a half years ago.

Tailpipe is one of the few seeing the bigger picture that economy and emissions are a serious concern and a turbo or supercharged offering would be the easier to achieve the desired results. But I believe going the N/A route proves the QuattroGmbH are more serious about the rest of the car and not just it's performance, for the second time this year I am very excited about the potential of the handling of Audi RS cars, first was the hints I received about the TT/RS and now the RS5.

We just might be seeing a re-birth of Audi as the number one driver's choice and RS as the name to replace M.

I agree with you also...

Yes, Leadfoot, well said. If petrol prices and emissions weren't such hot topics, then I'd much rather go for a NA motor. You get zero turbo lag for starters. And, yes, amen, the RS4's 4.2 FSI was, is, and forever more will be, one of THE great engines.

Thank you for your kind words; I do try to look at the bigger picture. And the bigger picture is that times really have changed. Like aeroplanes revolutionised transatlantic travel relegating companies like the White Star Line to history, so the advent of the Hydrogen Economy is doing the same to car design.

I find my interest in the internal combustion engine waning as fuel cell technology is perfected. Enough people are now working on the different components for us to see the synchronised perfection of battery capacity, hydrogen generation and storage for cars powered with such engines to soon become everyday reality. What limits the commercial application of such technology isn't so much technical innovation, but economic factors. When battery development gives us a lithium-based battery that weighs no more than an existing car battery but delivers the equivalent of driving for 3-hours at 150 mph, the potential for manufacturing costs to colapse driving profits for the Auto Industry is mind boggling. It will be a gold rush. Which means that when the game changes, it will do so very quickly causing massive consolidation among manufacturers. I just hope Audi is ahead of the curve.

I follow the Auto Industry very closely, looking at business / marketing / engineering trends rather than technical details, and I am convinced we are less than 10 years away from an RSH: that's an Audi RS-Hydrogen model. In fact, the Fuel Cell could be the very thing that powers us out of the global recession.

Sorry to take this thread so off topic...

I still believe that RS5 will get 4.0-litre TFSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am still convinced it a 'rubber band' unit.

P.S.
    I would love an indepth discussion about the future of motoring but not on this thread. May I suggest else where and possibly we can get the likes of Kerso, Qisha and others to give us their opinions.

I, for one, don't want biturbo à la GT-R, I only want a biturbo like the B5 RS4 and the C5 RS6, nothing else
    Last edited by Mihnea@MRC; February 13th, 2009 at 13:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihnea@MRC View Post
    I, for one, don't want biturbo à la GT-R, I only want a biturbo like the B5 RS4 and the C5 RS6, nothing else
    haha same here

Would like to see the R5T engine in it, it's light and can handle up to 600 hp.
    When the S4/S5 get the 3.0TFSI V6 and the next gen S4/S5 get a 2.0TFSI 4 cylinder engine, the RS5 can have a 2.5TFSI 5 cylinder.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

From reading your discussions, i think logically, the new rs4 / rs5 will be a V6 variant of a current DFI engine with twin turbos (maybe sequential).

lighter than the new S4 and more hp.

they were saying that when they chose the new s4 engine, they were trying to decide between the turbo and supercharged options. they chose the supercharged option due to it's driveability... i think if they bumped the v6 displacement up a little and added sequential turbos... it would solve low and top end power.

just my 2cents on a friday
    2003 RS6 - forsale

The next gen M3 will get a inline 6 Turbo.
    I don't see Audi using a V8 in the next gen RS4/RS5.
    IMHO we will see a ± 405 hp 3.0TFSI Supercharged V6 engine in it.
    It will be ligther and better perform then the old RS4.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Haven't we already heard this thing round the 'ring. It's a V10 or a V8 isn't it. The one I heard sure as hell wasn't a V6.