Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Service intervals for rs6?

Greg,

That is the problem. Do "I" think this timing belt needs to be changed at 35k? No, I dont think it needs to be done. Inspected? Yes, I think it needs to be inspected every 10k after 35k miles. What is the interval for the 4.2 in general? 80 or 110,000 miles. Granted we put out 100 more hp that a S6 or Q7 but really. The heat is not that much greater on the front of that engine.

But, our warranty goes out the window after 35k. And dont even get me started about the service writers that try to pump 4000 dollar service on a car with 25k miles just because its over 4yrs old. This is where I go get my gun. :-)

I really would have liked to see the front of the RS6 opened up and timing belt revealed. How do you get back there so easy? Did you take any pics? Did the belt show any heat stresses?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    Actually, I believe her on both. When I went in to get my oil changed a few weeks ago, the pediatric surgeon's car was in for a timing belt change, and I swear to god, when my technician pulled out the belt, it looked brand new after 35K and this guy drives his car hard!

Actually, this is very interesting information.

Can you expand on this info? The 90km would add water to the 57,000 miles letter from Audi UK.

Is the 4yrs true as well?

The 60km starting point would agree with my Audi 35k paperwork that was printed in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by LfD View Post
    Its 90.000km
    In the beginning it was 60k but the changed it to 90k a couple years ago.

Mech

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Actually, this is very interesting information.

Can you expand on this info? The 90km would add water to the 57,000 miles letter from Audi UK.

Is the 4yrs true as well?

The 60km starting point would agree with my Audi 35k paperwork that was printed in 2003.
    When I went to buy my RS6 the first timing belt change was done after 60.000km but there wasn't any at 120.000km. So I called Audi main office in Sweden and got it confirmed that the procedure was changed some years after 2003. If it’s a serious dealer they also should have the relevant information on timing belt intervals. According to Audi head office in Sweden and two other Audi service places its 90.000km and nothing else. About checking the timing belt condition optically it’s a silly thing, since one cannot judge, from the appearance, if it’s due to a change or not. Furthermore there are other things that are recommended to change in the same time as the timing belt.
    An example: mine is a 2003 years model, the previous owner has driven it 150.000km since 2003. The first timing belt operation were in 2005 (60.000km) the service in 2007 did not have the timing belt done. So probably the new timing belt directions were given between 2006-2007.

This is very good information. Thank you.

I like the conformation of (90km and nothing else. No time limit. ) This also adds water to my official Audi 2003 information that says no time limit on the timing belt.

Now, how can we get Audi USA to admit to this service interval?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by LfD View Post

When I went to buy my RS6 the first timing belt change was done after 60.000km but there wasn't any at 120.000km. So I called Audi main office in Sweden and got it confirmed that the procedure was changed some years after 2003. If it’s a serious dealer they also should have the relevant information on timing belt intervals. According to Audi head office in Sweden and two other Audi service places its 90.000km and nothing else. About checking the timing belt condition optically it’s a silly thing, since one cannot judge, from the appearance, if it’s due to a change or not. Furthermore there are other things that are recommended to change in the same time as the timing belt.
    An example: mine is a 2003 years model, the previous owner has driven it 150.000km since 2003. The first timing belt operation were in 2005 (60.000km) the service in 2007 did not have the timing belt done. So probably the new timing belt directions were given between 2006-2007.

The v6 s4 & rs4 have them done every 40,000Miles . The rs6 has the same cam belt .
    The rs6 belt will not suffer from the same stress as a rs4 as the auto box will not allow heavy engine breaking.
    My biggest concern is heat , I've stripped a car 2 hours after it was put on the ramp & the engine was still warm as was the belt .

I always recommend 40,000Miles !!! do you want a £10,000 Bill .......
    www.Unit 20.org
    martin@unit20.org
    Home of all things for the RS6 .....

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by grizz View Post
    The v6 s4 & rs4 have them done every 40,000Miles . The rs6 has the same cam belt .
    The rs6 belt will not suffer from the same stress as a rs4 as the auto box will not allow heavy engine breaking.
    My biggest concern is heat , I've stripped a car 2 hours after it was put on the ramp & the engine was still warm as was the belt .

I always recommend 40,000Miles !!! do you want a £10,000 Bill .......
    1 miles = 1.609344 kilometers

The official interval is 90.000km or 56250miles, since the timing belt operation, probably, is one of the more expensive services on the car, I wouldn't do it one mile before its time. If the timing belt fails before the interval is reached, its the last shops or Audi:s problem to fix. Its Audi who gives out the recommendations. Hello new engine

Then why did Audi change mine at the 35K mile service just like the manual says to? That was only 2 years ago unless the change interval from Audi has changed since then.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Regardless, I'll be changing mine at 75k miles. I'll be doing it myself, and I'm actually kind of anxious to dig in and do it. I just don't see any reason to push it out any further and risk a potential failure.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

As mentioned above, the dealer did mine at 34K for the 35K service, but I think I will do it myself next time and be sure I replace all of the tensioners as well as the Water pump and such. I may try an inspection in the next few thousand miles to see how it looks, I just turned over 53K so it has about 20K & just over 2 years since the last belt.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Going back a ways to address Dave's post relative to v8weight. I was hanging out with my technician when he performed the timing belt change on the other RS6 and I gotta say, it looks like a bitch to do! The "easiest" way to get to your timing belt is to actually take off the front bumper and move the front assembly forward so you can get some access to the space in front of the engine to get at the belt. I really should've snapped a couple pics.

For me that's the easy part. It takes less than an hour to remove the bumper, lamps, and lock support. The hardest part is acquiring the specialized tools, such as the cam holding fixtures and tdc locating pin.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

haha, that may very well be true; I am definitely not mechanically inclined so for those who enjoy working on their cars, it may not be all that difficult but I will say this, the RS6 has a very cramped engine bay and that contributes to the time it takes to do everything in the car.

What takes 1hr to R&R....takes me 2 days because I end up cleaning everything. Doh!

That said, I agree on the bumper/lights time. Did I read somewhere that the 2.7tt timing belt is the same as the 4.2tt? I also remember reading a site that would rent the timing belt tools.

Anyone have this info?

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    For me that's the easy part. It takes less than an hour to remove the bumper, lamps, and lock support. The hardest part is acquiring the specialized tools, such as the cam holding fixtures and tdc locating pin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSsuspension.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	7647  

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=N1A1014-C

These guys sell a timing belt kit, as well as rent the tools. Fairly pricey though. I agree, when I'm working on my own cars, everything takes twice as long, while I fiddle around cleaning everything, and analyze every part of the car. I don't see why there would be any difference between the labor for a cam belt change between the 2.7 and 4.2.

Dhall, what on earth did you shellac your fender aprons with? Just a vinyl shine product?

LOL

Haha, shellac. I like it.

See the before and after pics here. #12 and 13

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17593

I use different product for different types of trim or metal.

Chemical Guys bare bones good for metal painted stuff/under carriage
    Sonus engine and painted surface coat is good for under carriage, struts, springs and anything metal and or painted.
    Meguiars Trim detail good for plastic inner fenders
    303 Protectant good for rubber conditioner

Its really not that hard. A good cleaning in the wheel well when your doing brakes. Then some laquer thinner applied on the plastic inner fender will really get all the residue and dirt out of the pores of the plastic. Then the sealer product like Meguiars seals in the pores all nice and black.

Nothing greasy like Armor All. This stuff all dries and offers some protection for future debris. Also makes it real easy to clean off with a power sprayer in the future. Its like a clear coating on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Dhall, what on earth did you shellac your fender aprons with? Just a vinyl shine product?
    Last edited by DHall1; February 9th, 2009 at 00:48.

Yeah, like how those wells shine! One more thing to remember, our cars are now pushing 6yrs, belts are rubber which deteriorates over time, best be safe and change them every 4yrs.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

dhall1 - can you stump up with your docs? my dealer is telling me that there is a 3-year time period on the cambelt and mine need to be changed. it was changed in 2006 (@ only 45k kms!).
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi