Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting observation on stock RS6 brake pads

I got the car this way. Im going to have to start over. You cant win them all.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Have you been following this thread and my EBC thread?

I posted data, results, pics, more pics and more pics.

Yes, your stock pads will start to grind when there is plenty of outside pad visible. Those pins are scraping and causing grooves. If you wait too long...you will buy rotors to go along with your EBC pads.....to the tune of nearly 2,000 dollars. Thats if you buy the Audi rotors at mailorder discount and do the work yourself.

If you catch it early. You can replace all 4 brakes and resurface the rotors for as little as 265 dollars if you do it yourself.

I did and my car is perfect. EBC reds are fine.

take a look at your rotors, they may not be beyond resurfacing. I know purists frown on that but seriously, $1200 for rotors? Eff that noise!

The rears are fine. The fronts look like they are to far gone. Ill take a pic and show you. Ill take it to a shop to see if it can be turned. Will the dealer do it?

Dealer will not turn the rotors.

I assume you can do the teardown work. Pretty straightforward.

Find a good shop that will chuck up the rotors straight and give it a go. Measure the rotors first to see if there is any meat left to resurface. They cut very easy and take as little off as poss.

Put up some pics

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    The rears are fine. The fronts look like they are to far gone. Ill take a pic and show you. Ill take it to a shop to see if it can be turned. Will the dealer do it?

EBC Brake Pads

I just bought the Red EBC brake pads and about to install them. Just to confirm that they will not scrap the rotors like the OEM parts. Thanks.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona Grey
    2001 Porsche Carrera TT
    2006 Porsche Carrera C4
    2007 BMW M5
    2006 Range Rover Supercharged
    2002 VW Vanagon

Mine are wearing nice and smooth....2k miles and several hard runs including the Mulholland run last month.

Rotors are baby butt smooth.

Make sure you bed the pads properly after the break in material is worn off in 50 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by bodni98 View Post
    I just bought the Red EBC brake pads and about to install them. Just to confirm that they will not scrap the rotors like the OEM parts. Thanks.

Bump,

We have had several recent requests for this information.

So to update. The EBC reds are wearing smooth as silk 8 months down the road with a couple DE events thrown in for good measure.

Read up on the whole thread.

After replacing the pads with the EBC reds - they have been squeaking when the car comes to a final stop. Anyone experiencing similar problem? It's been over 2000 miles.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona Grey
    2001 Porsche Carrera TT
    2006 Porsche Carrera C4
    2007 BMW M5
    2006 Range Rover Supercharged
    2002 VW Vanagon

Guys, the pins are "squeel" pins. As bizarre as it sounds they are there to tell you that when the brakes start to squeel, you are running low and need to change them. I shit you not.........
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

You are shitting me, because mine are worn down to nubbins and I never noticed any squeal!

Seriously, though, I think they could've engineered THAT one a little better, since everyone's rotors get scored to crap at 50% pad wear! Like maybe, I don't know, a brake pad sensor???Unless that was the beauty of the plan all along to keep the rotor supplier in business...

Did you bed the pads in properly?

Were new rotors used, used or resurfaced used?

60mph....hard braking to 10mph....accel up to 60...hard brake to 10. Do this 6 times and go for a 30 minute easy hwy drive.

No stopping between each 6 slows and no stopping in the 30min cool down.

Quote Originally Posted by bodni98 View Post
    After replacing the pads with the EBC reds - they have been squeaking when the car comes to a final stop. Anyone experiencing similar problem? It's been over 2000 miles.

Hi, when you replace the pads/rotors? how do you reset the brake light beaming on the instrument cluster:-)

Also, has anybody bought OEM parts from ECS tuning? i will be changing my brake rotors and pads...i eally would like to know w/c phaeton brake rotors to get? and brake pad recommendations. ( i'm thinking going w/ expensive brake pads(Pagid vs EBC red) if i can really use the phaeton rotors...) or if it will have any difference.?? lastly, if you other web places that are cheaper and have great experience appreciate it! btw, - any good shops in CT/NY/NJ???

here is the website:

www.ecstuning.com

THANKS!
    Ronnie

I don't think you can use phaeton rotors.... But I'm not sure. EBC reds is always the way to go, do a search for the reasons why the oem pagid suck ass (the brass pins that will just chew up your rotors)

and I think partsbin has a good price on the ebcs. As I'm one to say, search is your friend.

Stock RS6 rotors from discount audivwparts
    EBC Red pads
    Phaeton backing plates/ducts from Grizz.

That is the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by rle55 View Post
    Also, has anybody bought OEM parts from ECS tuning? i will be changing my brake rotors and pads...i eally would like to know w/c phaeton brake rotors to get? and brake pad recommendations. ( i'm thinking going w/ expensive brake pads(Pagid vs EBC red) if i can really use the phaeton rotors...) or if it will have any difference.?? lastly, if you other web places that are cheaper and have great experience appreciate it! btw, - any good shops in CT/NY/NJ???

here is the website:

www.ecstuning.com

THANKS!
    Ronnie

thanks all!!!

Dhall,

can you give the link?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Funny thing.

At 5mm of thickness there appears to be "rivets" or some sort of metal pins appearing on the brake pad material.

This rivet could be the source of added "grinding" experienced by so many. Myself included.

Also of note, the brand new Red EBC pads are only 10mm thick.

Therefore, at around 50% thickness you get these rivets that start to scrape the rotors and could cause the grinding we all hear.

More later
    I read this thread last night, checked my rotors this morning and sure enough you can feel two very slight grooves in the rotors. Of course the dealer told me that brakes still had half their life. Ordering pads today - thanks for the notice.
    03 RS6 DG Eurocharged