Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting observation on stock RS6 brake pads

Interesting observation on stock RS6 brake pads

Funny thing.

At 5mm of thickness there appears to be "rivets" or some sort of metal pins appearing on the brake pad material.

This rivet could be the source of added "grinding" experienced by so many. Myself included.

Also of note, the brand new Red EBC pads are only 10mm thick.

Therefore, at around 50% thickness you get these rivets that start to scrape the rotors and could cause the grinding we all hear.

More later

Aren't these rivets supposed to send the electrical signal so that you know that you're supposed to change brakes?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

the rivets are also what "damages" your rotors. annoying as hell.

Nope, there is a sensor that is in 1 pad only. When that sensor hits...you get the light.

These look like 'studs" to hold the pad material in place. The only problem is they start hitting the rotor at 5mm of thickness. (pads). The pads only start with 10mm of thickness.

No wonder the front brakes wear out so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Aren't these rivets supposed to send the electrical signal so that you know that you're supposed to change brakes?

Yeah, these studs start to contact the rotor. Thats why we hear this grinding like metal to metal as we just come to a stop. The whole pad is not wore out at all. 50% of the material is still there. But, these studs start to scrape across the rotor.

Hmmm, I dont like it. 10mm thick pads when new. At 5mm these studs start to scrape. There is 1/2 the pad thickness left.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    the rivets are also what "damages" your rotors. annoying as hell.

does brembo make pads?

The stock pads are Pagid.... there are numbers there but I really didnt take note. I may have some time this weekend to finish the job and "dig" into the stock pads alittle further.

I will take a hammer/punch and knock out the brake pad material to reveal what these "pins" are really part of.

I assume these pins are part of the backing plate to form a network or framework when the pad material is stuck to the backing plate. I dont like it if thats the case.

In reality what we have here are 5mm worth of pad material to burn. That is not much. When you combine that with the aggressive pad material that literally eats the rotor surface. You end up with guys that get 6,000 miles out of brake pads. Again, not good

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    does brembo make pads?

so if the pad light comes on you need to change them ASAP? I was told I had 15,000 miles left on them!

Mike

Anyone know if the EBC pads have the rivets? Most of the better pads are bonded nowadays. I'll have to check my EBC's as they are probably getting down there, if not I'll have to drive harder as I have a new set of pads & rotors just waiting to get on the car and showoff their newness.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Mike,

From the hands on looks of things. No way do you have 15k after the light comes on. Its already worn past these pins or rivets well before the light comes on.

As I noted. 5mm of pad material left and I can see these pins just starting to show thru. Still no where near the brake sensor coming on.

Who ever told you that should be shot. Again, I will snap some pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    so if the pad light comes on you need to change them ASAP? I was told I had 15,000 miles left on them!

Mike

Thats also a question I had. Hard to tell from new EBC pads if there are studs in there.

Again, we are starting from 10mm of pad thickness on the EBC. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Anyone know if the EBC pads have the rivets? Most of the better pads are bonded nowadays. I'll have to check my EBC's as they are probably getting down there, if not I'll have to drive harder as I have a new set of pads & rotors just waiting to get on the car and showoff their newness.

Ok,

Here are some pics. In the pics you can clearly see the bronze pin that I am talking about. You can also see the 5mm of thickness and the brake sensors have not come on yet.

Piss poor design of a brake pad.

Also, you can see the Audi stamp and Pagid pn

Sorry about the "blue man" hand. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Nope, there is a sensor that is in 1 pad only. When that sensor hits...you get the light.

These look like 'studs" to hold the pad material in place. The only problem is they start hitting the rotor at 5mm of thickness. (pads). The pads only start with 10mm of thickness.

No wonder the front brakes wear out so fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1630 (Large).jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	7620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1631 (Large).jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	7621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1632 (Large).jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	7622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1634 (Large).jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	7623  

I'm glad I replaced my stock pads before they got to that point.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Ok,

Here are some pics. In the pics you can clearly see the bronze pin that I am talking about. You can also see the 5mm of thickness and the brake sensors have not come on yet.

Piss poor design of a brake pad.

Also, you can see the Audi stamp and Pagid pn

Sorry about the "blue man" hand. ;-)
    Well that does explain the slight metal on metal feel i get when pads are going down. No wonder the rotors get a surface that resembles beach dunes.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

ya, it's a REALLY stupid design.

Exactly. There are about 5 or 6 of these brass metal pins in each pad. Get those bad boys scraping across a x drilled rotor and its a party to see who can groove the biggest valley.

Crazy that this happens with 50% of the pad left.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Well that does explain the slight metal on metal feel i get when pads are going down. No wonder the rotors get a surface that resembles beach dunes.

Yep, as you can see in the pics. Mine were just starting to scrape. I could just start to hear them. I pulled the wheels and inspected all 8 pads from the outside of the caliper. I could see 50% of the pad material and thought to myself. "Oh, these are fine. Must be the design of the pad that make this noise."

Boy was I wrong and glad I didnt wait any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'm glad I replaced my stock pads before they got to that point.

Are we sure it is brass? Maybe real pure brass or copper which is soft is the conducting material for the low pad sensors? If someone has a set they could try scraping it and see if it is any harder or softer than the pad material.
    Roy, WA