Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Diff available in current S5!

Sport Diff available in current S5!

And not only that... I received an email today from my NSU contact with some interesting and confusing info at the same time...
    So, here we go:

-Quattro with Sport Differential and Dynamic Steering(code PDQ) is an option for manual gearbox A5 3.0TDI and S5(4.2 FSI). Of course combined with Audi Drive Select(code 2H1).

-same package is optional on A5 Cabrio as well but ONLY with 3.2 FSI Quattro S Tronic and 3.0 TDI Quattro S Tronic models.

-S5 Coupe with 3.0 TFSI and S Tronic will be available in MY2010 but, maybe not right from the start. Same thing for S Tronic for A5 3.0 TDI Coupe.

German Price list from Audi web site confirmed this info...
    http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/...rio_online.pdf

Now, interesting part... According to my source current S5(V8) equiped with Sport Diff/Dynamic Steering/Adaptive Dampers/Drive select is faster on the race track(Ring or Hockenheim) then new S4 equiped with same gimmicks(either manual or S Tronci).

I really do not understand Audi sometimes... Maybe Qisha can give us some deeper light what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    And not only that... I received an email today from my NSU contact with some interesting and confusing info at the same time...
    So, here we go:

-Quattro with Sport Differential and Dynamic Steering(code PDQ) is an option for manual gearbox A5 3.0TDI and S5(4.2 FSI). Of course combined with Audi Drive Select(code 2H1).

-same package is optional on A5 Cabrio as well but ONLY with 3.2 FSI Quattro S Tronic and 3.0 TDI Quattro S Tronic models.

-S5 Coupe with 3.0 TFSI and S Tronic will be available in MY2010 but, maybe not right from the start. Same thing for S Tronic for A5 3.0 TDI Coupe.

German Price list from Audi web site confirmed this info...
    http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/...rio_online.pdf

Now, interesting part... According to my source current S5(V8) equiped with Sport Diff/Dynamic Steering/Adaptive Dampers/Drive select is faster on the race track(Ring or Hockenheim) then new S4 equiped with same gimmicks(either manual or S Tronci).

I really do not understand Audi sometimes... Maybe Qisha can give us some deeper light what is going on?
    First, it's strange that Audi install this package only in selected number of models and only in manual and S Tronic. So no such packages for TipTronic if I got you right
    Second,
    if S5 V8 is faster than S4 V6TFSI that means that S5 V8 will be faster than S5 V6TFSI? So the new engine is a little bit underperformer...
    that you have meant?

Quote Originally Posted by artur777
    if S5 V8 is faster than S4 V6TFSI that means that S5 V8 will be faster than S5 V6TFSI? So the new engine is a little bit underperformer...
    that you have meant?
    I don't think you can look at two different models and come to a definite answer like that.

The SCv6 has more power/performance over more of the rev range than the 4.2FSi, plus it should have a slightly less weight over the nose. So unless it's bullshit that weight balance makes any difference I would expect the S5 3.0TFSi to be quicker.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Its clear that S5 with 3.0T is ''slower'' than'' one with 4.2..., Audi will justifice this with coming of the RS 5, but main reason is downsizing, no other reason...

Secondly, it seems that Tiptronic is slowly being retired, and S-tronic coming in its place...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Its clear that S5 with 3.0T is ''slower'' than'' one with 4.2..., Audi will justifice this with coming of the RS 5, but main reason is downsizing, no other reason...

Secondly, it seems that Tiptronic is slowly being retired, and S-tronic coming in its place...
    You are pretty much right. Also additional reason for 3.0TFSI in S5 is EU5 norm. Unfortunately, current S5 4.2 FSI is good for EU4 only...

My very subjective opinion is that 4.2 FSI is better and more characterfull engine then new 3.0 TFSI. Just, exhaust note difference is enough for me...

You are pretty much right. Also additional reason for 3.0TFSI in S5 is EU5 norm. Unfortunately, current S5 4.2 FSI is good for EU4 only...

My very subjective opinion is that 4.2 FSI is better and more characterfull engine then new 3.0 TFSI. Just, exhaust note difference is enough for me...
    But heavy nose, EU standards - 3.0TFSI have a lot of advantages over 4.2 FSI

4.2 has that genuine Audi caracter..., its little bit ''under-dog'' giving a fantastic knockout... to bad for it leaving Audis line-up...

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    But heavy nose, EU standards - 3.0TFSI have a lot of advantages over 4.2 FSI
    I do not agree with you here. You will probably see that same 4.2 FSI in HDZ version in forthcoming RS5...

3.0 TFSI is very good engine but, not the greatest one from Audi, at least IMHO.

I do not agree with you here. You will probably see that same 4.2 FSI in HDZ version in forthcoming RS5...

3.0 TFSI is very good engine but, not the greatest one from Audi, at least IMHO.
    Emmisions rules..

Why do you feel that the 4.2 is a better performer?

So far the heavier S4 has all but match the 200km/h times of the S5, to me that says the SCv6 is at the very least as good.

I am not saying that it is better performer but, that it is more characterfull and emotional engine.

i say all who care should wait till sept 09 to order a lightweight, better handling, less expensive V6T S5 with sport diff and DSG. end of discussion.

break it in, put in a pulley and an exhaust and you'll be golden.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i say all who care should wait till sept 09 to order a lightweight, better handling, less expensive V6T S5 with sport diff and DSG. end of discussion.

break it in, put in a pulley and an exhaust and you'll be golden.
    Its not all about tuning...

I am not saying that it is better performer but, that it is more characterfull and emotional engine.
    Well I haven't driven or heard the new S4 but You are right that the S5's v8 is one of the sweetest sounding engine not to be in an exotic. But I am a realist and the reality is every companies needs to look other things than character, economy and emissions are the key when outright performance isn't the number one objective as is the case with RS models.

Anyway, is it not right that some reviewers have likened the noise of the S4 to noise the 911 makes. It might not be a Ferrari v8 but a 911 is still an exotic in many peoples eyes.

I have been waiting for the Sport Diff since it was leaked about a year ago.

Anyone have a guess if it could be back-fitted into a 2009 S5 ?
    I suspect that is a lot of work and expense.

Quote Originally Posted by RestonS5 View Post
    I have been waiting for the Sport Diff since it was leaked about a year ago.

Anyone have a guess if it could be back-fitted into a 2009 S5 ?
    I suspect that is a lot of work and expense.
    I'm sure that you require Audi Select Drive before you can get Sportdiff so unless both can be retro fitted I don't think it's an option. But if it can be done it will cost you a bomb.

I do have Drive Select (an invaluable option) , but you are right that the price to add SD will probably be outrageous.

PS

Where did you find your avatar picture "Audi_Pants" ??
    That is terrific.
    2009 S5 MT - Daytona Gray Pearl - Magma Red - Drive Select

A5 3.0 tdi s-tronic...so end 2009-1st quarter 2010?

rear led lights also on a5 coupè (apart from s5) after geneve autoshow?