Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just talked to someone, and got the scoop on the RS5 motor...

Qisha didn't say it would be a 4.2N/A, only that it wouldn't be a Forced Induction version of that engine. I openly agree with that opinion, there is no financial case for developing a Bi-turbo of this engine when there is already a 4.0TFSi completing final testing waiting in the wings if the decision was taken for the RS5 to use such an engine.

I know I have maintained that it will be a 4.2N/A engine and stick by this statement but everything I believe in suggests to me that this decision would be the wrong one in the current economical climate unless Audi have miraculously made it more powerful, more economic and with much lower emissions. You are 100% correct in saying that v8 engine car sales have died a death at the moment but as all of these cars being discussed are either 10/12 months away or even 18/24 months as is the case for the RS4 is it correct in placing present day issues that might be well by on the mend by then.

Originally I was told that the RS5 would have been launch mid'09 with the RS4 appearing some 4~6 months later, the reality is that the economic slowdown has forced a delay in the launch of both cars and probably allow for a rethink of which is the best approach to market these cars, though they are still low volume products they still cost a lot in development and need to sell to at least break even if not make a small profit.

I welcome this delay as what ever decision is taken on engine choice will not be a rushed one just to get the product to the market, those days of 'if will build it they will come and buy it' are long gone and have been replaced with 'what will it take to make them buy it'.

It's a consumers market and only the best products will survive.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    If RS 4 will have same ''technic layout'' like RS 5, with no changes, than highly tuned 3.0 T is my next ''pick''.

What do you think about that?
    I know what it is but ain't telling.

OK you twisted my arm, it a v18 12Ltr quad turbo running 18speed triple clutch S/Tronic with surgical rubber suspension.

No, really!

If RS 4 is to get same engine as RS 5, and RS 4 is some time away, than only two possibilities are either 4.0 T or 3.0 T. I just can't imagine next RS 4 having 4.2 N/A engine...

No, really!

If RS 4 is to get same engine as RS 5, and RS 4 is some time away, than only two possibilities are either 4.0 T or 3.0 T. I just can't imagine next RS 4 having 4.2 N/A engine...
    right
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Qisha, you know Audi's technical people. I know Audi's marketing people. Maybe they're not talking to each otherr!!!!!

Dear Qisha,

-the only 4.2 forced induction engine is a diesel

Therefore a 4.2TT is not a possiblity. That leaves NA 4.2 or 4.0TFSI

-engine size as well as capacity will decrease prospectively

Therefore more likely to be 4.0 rather than 4.2. Does that not leave the 4.0TFSI as the only possiblity? Or is there a 4.0NA engine?

btw great thread.
    Truth In The Blacklist

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Dear Qisha,

-the only 4.2 forced induction engine is a diesel

Therefore a 4.2TT is not a possiblity. That leaves NA 4.2 or 4.0TFSI

-engine size as well as capacity will decrease prospectively

Therefore more likely to be 4.0 rather than 4.2. Does that not leave the 4.0TFSI as the only possiblity? Or is there a 4.0NA engine?

btw great thread.

Reasonable!

Dear Qisha,

due to your comments it is easy to expect that RS5 will be with 4.0TFSI.
    THe crisis has delyaed th eRS5 intorduction and Audi has enough time to preapre its new engine.
    4.0TFSI - will it obtain combined induction - SC and Turbo?

Dear Rage,

sorry for not making myself clear. Engine size and everything that comes with it is a future aspect and does not apply to the RS5 to be exact.

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Rage,

sorry for not making myself clear. Engine size and everything that comes with it is a future aspect and does not apply to the RS5 to be exact.

Qisha
    can anyone PLEASE translate this understandable for an german guy. i dont understand what he means.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

I think it will be bi-turbo, as head of Quattro GmbH said, turbo will always be the AUdi way of making high performance cars (RS) where SC is for more comfortable drive sports cars (S). It will have both turbos on top of the engine between the V.
    I also think that with RS6, TT RS, RS5 and R8 on the market, Quattro has it 's hands full and will not be seeing an B8 RS4 , more likely the B9 (facelift) will get an RS version, somewhere arround 2012. That's my 2 cents at least
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
    can anyone PLEASE translate this understandable for an german guy. i dont understand what he means.
    It's going to be a 4.2N/A high revving engine.

Read what is said,

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha

We can switch this thread to general fun thread.

We can switch this thread to general fun thread.

No, there is some serious discussions going on here and trust me the true is here if only people knew which ones to believe.

All I can say is that I don't know witch engine will it be. I'm expecting 4.2 N/A, but I'm hoping for 4.0 T.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post

Read what is said,
    Quisha??? what can you say us about that

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post

Read what is said,
    Leadie,
    Do you remember that we discussed this issue before? We agreed(with little help from our sources) that RS5 engine will be HDZ 4.2 FSI.

This thread is becoming something like deja vu of thread about R8(prior to its intro) in 2006. Lots of wrong infos then... Same thing now...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Leadie,
    Do you remember that we discussed this issue before? We agreed(with little help from our sources) that RS5 engine will be HDZ 4.2 FSI.

This thread is becoming something like deja vu of thread about R8(prior to its intro) in 2006. Lots of wrong infos then... Same thing now...
    Agreed but I understand for the confusion, it's a fact the v8 sales have took a major down turn (though according to BMW last year was their second best) and most consumers are more concerned with resale, road tax, company car tax, etc than ever before. For people to see the introduction of another N/A v8 engine does seem to be going against the grain so to speak.

Until the final spec (all of it) is known it does sound to illogical choice to use.

I am imagining the engine specs to read along the lines of

HP = 450~460 @ 8600rpm
    Nm = 460 @ 5800rpm
    Co2 = 245~255
    mpg = 20~22 average