Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just talked to someone, and got the scoop on the RS5 motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan View Post
    It is very possible that the RS5 would get the NA 4.2 engine with a few twicks and s-tronic, which combined with a smarter quattro system would make it faster and better handling car that the RS4. With a TT 4.0 the gap in performance between RS5 and ex RS4 would be very big (unless they limit the power a lot) and they will also upset the R8 sells.
    With a NA S-tronic RS5 should be a great GT not a real beast, and they might keep the 4.0 TT to be introduced with the next RS4. Who knows, best bet is they have at least 2 different engine setups testing arround, and the final decision is not in yet.
    i think and hope that it will be 4.0 T with around 450hp. so the R8 wont have maybe 4.2l in future. the 5.2L will be the only one in the R8. so the gap between R8 and RS5 will be big enough.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Quote Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
    i think and hope that it will be 4.0 T with around 450hp. so the R8 wont have maybe 4.2l in future. the 5.2L will be the only one in the R8. so the gap between R8 and RS5 will be big enough.
    I don't see Audi dropping the smaller R8 any time soon. They may change it's engine to the newer 4.0TFSi when it arrives in the A8 but given the world economy at present to drop the cheaper model in favour of the much more expensive version would be suicide.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Why would Audi do that...?

If Porsche can have 17 different versions of 911. why Audi can't have two different R8s... Plus, 4.0 T will present threat for 5.2..., and Audi don't want.

Yes, RS5 is not naturally aspirated; it has TT and DSG.

It would not be able to meet future emission requirements and deliver required power output without such a solution. It will be one sweet engine, but not as impressive as new 4.0-litre TFSI that is coming in a year's time.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Yes, RS5 is not naturally aspirated; it has TT and DSG.

It would not be able to meet future emission requirements and deliver required power output without such a solution. It will be one sweet engine, but not as impressive as new 4.0-litre TFSI that is coming in a year's time.
    i dont understand you. the RS5 becomes a TT engine, ok. but isnt it the 4.0TFSI??? which engine then?
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

In other thread Tailpipe said 4.2 bi-turbo engine...

oh no, please audi dont make the old 4.2 engine TT. just take the 4.0 TFSI. then it would be perfect. a new car a new engine. not an old engine and a new car. that sucks. the 4.0 TFSI will be also better in eco..

oh no, please audi dont make the old 4.2 engine TT. just take the 4.0 TFSI. then it would be perfect. a new car a new engine. not an old engine and a new car. that sucks. the 4.0 TFSI will be also better in eco..
    Sorry, it's 4.2-litre TT. New 4.0-litre TFSI doesn't arrive until 2010.

Only way to launch RS5 this year is to use development of existing 4.2-litre FSI block. RS5 will get 4.0-litre TFSI engine later, when RS4 arrives.

its the same crap that audi does with the S5 engine. at first the 4.2l then the 3.0 TFSI. its such a shame for the customers. i would feel so bad for them. audi has just to wait when this engine is ready and THEN release the RS5 with the 4.0 TFSI as well the RS4.

Look on the bright side: at least Chris Bangle hasn't left BMW to go to Audi.

lol yeah thats good. but i dont understand audi with its engine politic. it sucks. like i said in my post above.

Some1 here once posted a link 2 another Audi forum where there was a guy in Las Vegas claiming that the RS5 was at the Audi Dealership he works in & that the car was in fact TT. Do u remember that ? He was inviting ppl 2 go down & have a look at the car.

Also,guys here were claiming to have seen intercoolers hidden behind the 2 large air intakes on the front bumper of the RS5 mule.

I hope this info is right & I also hope that it’s not offered only in manual.

its the same crap that audi does with the S5 engine. at first the 4.2l then the 3.0 TFSI. its such a shame for the customers. i would feel so bad for them. audi has just to wait when this engine is ready and THEN release the RS5 with the 4.0 TFSI as well the RS4.
    It's still better than waiting for it two more years. Otherwise i'm pleased because Audi looks like it will start to change or upgrade engines in a lifecycle. I mean in S5 and probably RS5. I think this is the best way to have the car in time and having the latest engine as it is finished. I wished S6/8 V10s to get an update with the facelift, but nothing happened, Turbo engines are better in this aspect as well.
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

If it ''ends up'' with 4.2 bi-turbo, for me, it will be suprise. 4.2 N/A is what I was expecting, and still don't ''signing off'' completely that engine.

I think its going to be a NA. Or could be the 4.0L TT hehe

Tailpipe seems reasonable...

I think Audi will do with RS5 the same trick as with S5 - changing engines during the lifecycle.
    They HAVE to introduce RS5 as fast as they can because the competitors havelaunched their cars already... But 4.0TFSI is not ready yet - so they have to launch it with good old 4.2FSI TT - modified from old RS6, I think.
    After a year they will launch RS5 with 4.0TFSI when RS4 arrives with the new engine. They can't leave RS5 with olde engine while RS4 will havea new one.
    Seems very logical and suits the current situation and their engine policies.

Yes, BUT, don't you think that it is little bit expensive to make engine (4.2 biturbo) just for one car, and for very short period of time...?

If that engine finds its place in RS 5, it will be for RS 5 only! That engine unit doesn't have any future within Audi, if 4.0 T is on the way indeed.

From what I heard the final choice of engine is not yet decided. Audi has certainly tested 4.2-litre twin turbo, as well as naturally aspirated engine from RS4 as a benchmark. If it had a choice, Audi would wait until new 4.0-litre TFSI is ready, but this new engine is still more than a year away. Audi believes it should launch RS5 sooner rather than later, so TT 4.2 is best alternative, but...

...everything has changed since the end of last year. Sales of high performance cars have crashed. Why rush to introduce a model that may not sell in high enough numbers to justify the investment?

Yes, 4.2-litre engine is on its last legs, but is still a great engine.