Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just talked to someone, and got the scoop on the RS5 motor...

N/A or TwinTurbo?

Conflicting info is being passed and I don't understand why, I can only add to this debate that the info I have been given in the pass has always been spot on and I ask myself, why would he now pass false info?

My conclusion is he wouldn't so I stick to the belief that the RS5 is running a N/A engine until I am told otherwise.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Thanks youry that's a really stunning car you've had.

if the RS5 were to get a TT V8 the output would be over 500 hp folks. and again, it would make faster than R8 V8, which unless phased out, would be a problem for audi.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

N/A or TwinTurbo?

Conflicting info is being passed and I don't understand why, I can only add to this debate that the info I have been given in the pass has always been spot on and I ask myself, why would he now pass false info?

My conclusion is he wouldn't so I stick to the belief that the RS5 is running a N/A engine until I am told otherwise.
    Read the first post in the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    I read the first post but I have been told on numerous occasions that the RS5 will be N/A and until I hear different from the guy that has given me info on all important Audis over the last 2 years which I might add has always been SPOT ON, I will continue to believe it's N/A.

Is your soursce reliable and at the decision-making level?

I'll weigh in on this. My info is board level... as in Audi AG board level and Volkswagen Group board level. It is old, i.e. last summer, but I still believe it to be correct. N/A 4.2 with 450 hp.

The good news is he should know. The bad news is, if a decision were to be changed, he'd be one of the people changing the decision.

What I don't understand either from the first post is why they would be still playing with an N/A mule this late in the game. That really doesn't add up.

Everything I've heard of 4.0T FSI is that it will debut in the A8 and also go in the A7.

Sorry guys, as cool as a twin turbo RS 5 might be, it's not in the cards for now.
    - George Achorn
    Editor-in-Chief, Fourtitude.com - The Audi Enthusiast Website

Guys, I just got back from a Q5 Audi launch in Ft. Lauderdale and was talking to a very reliable AOA rep who stated that the RS5 will in fact be twin turbo and is still a year away. He mentioned the same thin g about the NA test cars running around testing suspension, etc...

Guys, I just got back from a Q5 Audi launch in Ft. Lauderdale and was talking to a very reliable AOA rep who stated that the RS5 will in fact be twin turbo and is still a year away. He mentioned the same thin g about the NA test cars running around testing suspension, etc...
    Nice! Someone has the same info I got, I think that shows we are on teh same page and a V8 4.0tt is on the way!

Artur777

Is your soursce reliable and at the decision-making level?
    Info was from the engineering team testing the car, I think they know what they are designing

In case it wasn't known by some, the peak torque handling figure of the new 7Speed S/Tronic is 406ft/lbs. The old RS6 which also used a 4.2tt (older technology I might add) had a peak of 415ft/lbs, so if Audi are to use a similar setup then they will have to limit the potential torque of the engine to stop it from damaging the gearbox.

I am still backing the idea it's a N/A 4.2FSI.

Info was from the engineering team testing the car, I think they know what they are designing
    Agreed.
    BTW - when will we first see 4.0TFSI engine?

i think at first in the new A8
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    In case it wasn't known by some, the peak torque handling figure of the new 7Speed S/Tronic is 406ft/lbs. The old RS6 which also used a 4.2tt (older technology I might add) had a peak of 415ft/lbs, so if Audi are to use a similar setup then they will have to limit the potential torque of the engine to stop it from damaging the gearbox.

I am still backing the idea it's a N/A 4.2FSI.
    Leadfoot, please consider that it will be 4.0, not 4.2 and the torque will be lower.

Also please imagine:
    - TFSI engine has a broad flat max torque in middle-revs with 15% reduction moving into the high-revvs zone
    - you have 400 ft/lbs (actually it is 542 Nm) as the max torque of your engine somewhere from 2000 to 5500 rpms
    - you have max revvs of 7200 rpm, and the torque is somewhere at the level of 350 ft/lbs
    - using the formula HP = Torque (ft/lbs) * RPM / 5252 you get:

HP at 5500 rpm = 400 * 5000 /5252 = 380
    HP at 7000 rpm = 350 * 7000 /5252 = 466

So you can easily get 450-470 HP with torque limitation to 400ft/lbs...

Hey, don't get me wrong I want it to be Bi-Turboed as well but for this to happen the torque will have to be limited. That was all I was trying to show here.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Hey, don't get me wrong I want it to be Bi-Turboed as well but for this to happen the torque will have to be limited. That was all I was trying to show here.
    I see it...
    But is it possible to increase maxx revvs of turbo engines to 8000 rpm?
    what is the limitation?
    you can increase hp not only with torque bur rpm

It is very possible that the RS5 would get the NA 4.2 engine with a few twicks and s-tronic, which combined with a smarter quattro system would make it faster and better handling car that the RS4. With a TT 4.0 the gap in performance between RS5 and ex RS4 would be very big (unless they limit the power a lot) and they will also upset the R8 sells.
    With a NA S-tronic RS5 should be a great GT not a real beast, and they might keep the 4.0 TT to be introduced with the next RS4. Who knows, best bet is they have at least 2 different engine setups testing arround, and the final decision is not in yet.
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD

4.2 will be!