Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February SoCal Get Together

Greg-have you had any driving school training? I used to think I was a good driver but then I took driving school training years ago. I was an idiot to think I had any skill. The only way to get better and understand techniques is to take a training school no matter how much it costs.

If the two drivers were equal. The RS6 would wipe the streets clean of that modded A4.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    Well, he was probably a bit more skilled than I am but ultimately, in those conditions, I would have to be a much better driver to compensate for the weight. But, as you said, it's not a race, just some good fun. Not trying to get another speeding ticket anyway!

Need to find time for Skip Barber, I'm probably at the limits of my natural "talent". Again though, we are not talking around the racetrack, honestly, I could probably take him around the track given enough laps but up and down canyon turns, he has the edge.

Greg,

Thats what I am talking about.

On a scale of 1 to 10 and car control/techniques being the data point.

Lets say, I had the idea that my natural talent gave me a 5 or 6 on that scale. This was before formal driving school training.

Now after the training you will quickly realize that you were actually a 1 or 2 on that scale. I quicky came to that point. You can never have too much formal car control technique training.

Does that make sense?

The same car contol techniques apply to those canyon runs as the track. Its no different only you have 2 lanes and oncoming traffic to worry about.

Need to find time for Skip Barber, I'm probably at the limits of my natural "talent". Again though, we are not talking around the racetrack, honestly, I could probably take him around the track given enough laps but up and down canyon turns, he has the edge.

well, I have had plenty of track/lap time with instructors but nothing formalized and even more to the point, I've not been on a track with _this_ car. I do see your point though.

heh, well, as much as I love my rs6, there is a reason why I started looking at Lotus and S2000s. This car is simply too heavy for the twists of the canyon runs. This was very evident when we ran up Palomar Mountain, I was behind one of the guys from SCCA's racer'ed out A4, and he killed me in the turns, granted I caught up with him on the couple straights but it's clear that lighter is definitely the way to go for twists.
    Greg, was that the tight side or the fast side?
    I love the FAST side!!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

DWD, is the date of the 28th set?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I am down for this and the 28th is a go for me.

We should keep this on everyones minds and thread alive to keep up the idea.

This is a SCC Audi event. There is registration over on that site. I just sent an email to Phil from SCCAudi.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    DWD, is the date of the 28th set?
    Last edited by DHall1; February 11th, 2009 at 01:36.

Whats the word here.

Who is going? Lets start a new thread with more specifics in the title to get this on track.

bump. Anyone to confirm attendance?

hey dave. So far I know Ben916 and Holiday will be coming from San Diego. JCT2003 from West Covina is down. Audiphile is definitely coming out. S42SKI will come out. Hy Octane I'm not sure. You've got Bob's old car. Who else are we missing...... Benman may/may not come out, still need to confirm and I'm game.

If we get 7 or 8 of these together some 5 years after production that will be a major event. Pics can be sent back to Gmbh and all over RS6.com.

hey dave. So far I know Ben916 and Holiday will be coming from San Diego. JCT2003 from West Covina is down. Audiphile is definitely coming out. S42SKI will come out. Hy Octane I'm not sure. You've got Bob's old car. Who else are we missing...... Benman may/may not come out, still need to confirm and I'm game.

I know of at least 1 RS6 guy that belongs to SCCA but I don't know him and we never exchanged information when I rolled through to the Meguiar class, so maybe he'll roll out to the malibu drive.

Currently, we've got 7 if we can get everybody to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Greg-have you had any driving school training? I used to think I was a good driver but then I took driving school training years ago. I was an idiot to think I had any skill. The only way to get better and understand techniques is to take a training school no matter how much it costs.

If the two drivers were equal. The RS6 would wipe the streets clean of that modded A4.
    Dhall1's right, take a course and improve your skills!
    http://www.bobbyoresports.com/courses.html#
    I wish I could ship my car to be there for the get together
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

How many are going? Greg, let's get a count. We have to register at sccaudi.com.

Driving schools are important. I attend at least one each year. No matter how great your car is, if someone is very experienced in track and has learned the skills through the various track schools, they can be driving a 2001 Audi 1.8T and easily burn someone in an RS6 because of their higher skill level. I see this all the time. I have a friend who owns a simple stock 2001 A4 1.8T, but does autocross, track, etc and no one can touch him on a drive - no one. He can enter apexes like Tom Christiansen.

Post Reply:

I just registered. There are several steps to it. Go to sccaudi.com to do so. May take about 5 minutes or so. So do it soon.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

Ahhh.. well.. Until I get my DRC fixed properly, its no fun trying to manage this car around the same turns I loved when all was new and perfect..

Enjoy, and cya then..

Hy octane - join the "bringing up the rear" group or come out with one of your other classics, would be great to hang out if you can make it!

ben916 is probably just coming to hang as well.

I just registered.

Dave Hall/Group 2

Greg....you and Justin were already registered in Gp2. I figure we cant get into too much trouble. I think my wife will let me go that fast without asking to get dropped of at the corner.

Doh

Speaking of....I have never hauled my RS6 in our enclosed Haulmark trailer. I better go and make sure this thing fits. Were going to make a weekend of it and bring the motorhome and setup camp up in the hills. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Audiphile View Post
    How many are going? Greg, let's get a count. We have to register at sccaudi.com.

Driving schools are important. I attend at least one each year. No matter how great your car is, if someone is very experienced in track and has learned the skills through the various track schools, they can be driving a 2001 Audi 1.8T and easily burn someone in an RS6 because of their higher skill level. I see this all the time. I have a friend who owns a simple stock 2001 A4 1.8T, but does autocross, track, etc and no one can touch him on a drive - no one. He can enter apexes like Tom Christiansen.

Post Reply:

I just registered. There are several steps to it. Go to sccaudi.com to do so. May take about 5 minutes or so. So do it soon.

ya, but odds are, there won't be enough people that turn out to justify that many groups. But as I said, right now, honestly my car isn't set up for really "pushing it" type of driving.