Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the expected longevity of the RS6 engine before rebuild is needed?

Tensioners are new from v dub in dallas about 10k miles ago

The RS6 is a Cosworth hand built/assembled engine. The tolerances are tight, and in all the time I've owned one and belonged to the forum(s), I've never heard of a single instance where upon an engine "wore out". Yes there was a failure, but that was due to a bad tune.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by rs6fred View Post
    Tensioners are new from v dub in dallas about 10k miles ago
    Why were they replaced? Maybe not adjusted correctly? I notice there aren't many Audi specialized mechanics in TX. Is your car roadworthy? Brink Motorsports in Austin did some solid work for me.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

IDB RACING in houston tx

A local car here has 196k and still runs great
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Update: turns out to be a cam follower.

Cam followers have been the flavor of the month recently for higher mileage cars. They go on Audi's, VW, BMW, Porsche's, etc... starting anywhere from 150K~250K miles usually. Depends a lot on the quality of oil used and the change interval but many issues affect them. My RS6 only has 76K but I plan on swapping mine out this Summer when I do the 6-speed conversion on it, might as well while I have it out. I have a 1.8T 225bhp tt that is getting ready to turn 100K and the tensioner or followers make some noise on warm startups but usually goes away after a minute or two so I plan on doing that this summer too. The OEM tt tensioner with pads was cheap compared to the six, only $85.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Got 154k miles on my girl, all original engine and trans.