Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: S4 vs 335i

Kerso,

Did you spec everything or pick and choice what would suit yourself. I basically specced both cars as I would want them, going for Sprint Blue with the S4 and Moon-something in the BM, I also pick the leathers I perfered on each and the extras I would like. I didn't pick the dearest HiFi system in the BM because I actually heard the individual in a 5 series and didn't rate it at all, it just goes to show how different peoples opinions are on what sounds good.

Though even if the Audi was £2k more I still feel it's worth it for things like Audi select drive and Sportdiff.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Kerso,

Did you spec everything or pick and choice what would suit yourself. I basically specced both cars as I would want them, going for Sprint Blue with the S4 and Moon-something in the BM, I also pick the leathers I perfered on each and the extras I would like. I didn't pick the dearest HiFi system in the BM because I actually heard the individual in a 5 series and didn't rate it at all, it just goes to show how different peoples opinions are on what sounds good.

Though even if the Audi was £2k more I still feel it's worth it for things like Audi select drive and Sportdiff.
    Leadie,
    Full sepcs as I would buy them. Actually difference in price would be around 5K € if 335i is available with DCT in sedan form(from 09/2009).

Regarding sound system quality. I am very dissapointed overall in B&O sound in Audis. IMO it only sounds good in A8 and Q7. In my R8 quality is well, not on level... In S5 it is basically just OK. I head Individual system in M3 Coupe and to my ears it sounds much better then B&O in S5.

Finally, I agree with you-as overall package S4 is better car and I would choose them also.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Leadie,
    Full sepcs as I would buy them. Actually difference in price would be around 5K € if 335i is available with DCT in sedan form(from 09/2009).

Regarding sound system quality. I am very dissapointed overall in B&O sound in Audis. IMO it only sounds good in A8 and Q7. In my R8 quality is well, not on level... In S5 it is basically just OK. I head Individual system in M3 Coupe and to my ears it sounds much better then B&O in S5.

Finally, I agree with you-as overall package S4 is better car and I would choose them also.

About audio system i'm curious about Burmester on panamera,will be the best overall?

BMW 335i with performance kit will be no slower than Audi S4...

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    BMW 335i with performance kit will be no slower than Audi S4...
    Well I would have agreed with you up until the first few tested compared both of them and now I am not so sure. There does seem to decent gap in performance between the S4 and both forms of the 335i to 100mph which only keeps increasing that every second goes by, 1.2s slower for the rwd 335i and 1.3s for the x-drive doesn't sound likely based on BMW's estimates of improvement with the performance kit installed.

And anyway none of this extra power will improve it's ability to take corners, it doesn't have a LSD. If the 335i sounded like value when compared to the aging S4 4.2v8 it doesn't anymore.

Things are looking grim for BMW in the future, the S4 is already hammering the 335i saloon, when the S5 gets the engine the Coupe and Convertible 335 will face the same fate, the RS6 is already the king of the big saloons and the RS5 will probably lay waste to the M3 in about a year's time. BMW needs a miracle.

I say buy all the GTRs in the world and re-badge them BMW.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Well I would have agreed with you up until the first few tested compared both of them and now I am not so sure. There does seem to decent gap in performance between the S4 and both forms of the 335i to 100mph which only keeps increasing that every second goes by, 1.2s slower for the rwd 335i and 1.3s for the x-drive doesn't sound likely based on BMW's estimates of improvement with the performance kit installed.

And anyway none of this extra power will improve it's ability to take corners, it doesn't have a LSD. If the 335i sounded like value when compared to the aging S4 4.2v8 it doesn't anymore.

Things are looking grim for BMW in the future, the S4 is already hammering the 335i saloon, when the S5 gets the engine the Coupe and Convertible 335 will face the same fate, the RS6 is already the king of the big saloons and the RS5 will probably lay waste to the M3 in about a year's time. BMW needs a miracle.

I say buy all the GTRs in the world and re-badge them BMW.
    You seem to be more or less right.
    I think that BMW will try to overcome Audi with their new -series and 6-series, which are 1 year away.
    Also X5/X6 M will be new segment leaders for sure...

Interesting pictures in yesterday's Autocar of the new 5-series GT, which could replace the X5 as SUVs become environmentally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cale24 View Post
    Interesting, but I still think it would be worthwhile to compare 2 stock standard cars (B7 RS4 and E92 M3, coupe or saloon) and get the real difference exactly. It does seem logical for the RS4 to weigh more I admit...
    Curb weights (no driver) from Road & Track comparision, June 2008:

RS4 - 3785 lbs.
    M3 sedan - 3585 lbs.
    IS-F - 3825 lbs.
    C63 - 3920 lbs.

So the RS4 is 200 lbs. heavier than the M3, most of that due to Quattro. But the RS4 is lighter than the IS-F and C63, and those don't have AWD! Although, it is interesting that the two heaviest cars spanked the lighter ones:

RS4 - 0-60 4.5, 1/4 mile 13.0@108.1
    M3 - 0-60 4.6, 1/4 mile 13.0@110.4
    IS-F - 0-60 4.2, 1/4 mile 12.6@113.8
    C63 - 0-60 4.1, 1/4 mile 12.5@114.4

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow RS6 View Post
    Curb weights (no driver) from Road & Track comparision, June 2008:

RS4 - 3785 lbs.
    M3 sedan - 3585 lbs.
    IS-F - 3825 lbs.
    C63 - 3920 lbs.

So the RS4 is 200 lbs. heavier than the M3, most of that due to Quattro. But the RS4 is lighter than the IS-F and C63, and those don't have AWD! Although, it is interesting that the two heaviest cars spanked the lighter ones:

RS4 - 0-60 4.5, 1/4 mile 13.0@108.1
    M3 - 0-60 4.6, 1/4 mile 13.0@110.4
    IS-F - 0-60 4.2, 1/4 mile 12.6@113.8
    C63 - 0-60 4.1, 1/4 mile 12.5@114.4

From what I've read/seen, all of those times can be improved except probibly the IS-F. Ive seen RS4's M3's and C63's dip into the low 12's and low 4.x 0-60 times.