Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: S4 vs 335i

Isn't that 3.0SC engine supposed to be very efficient? It did worse mileage than that 335...

Dear Friends,

Autozeitung is not all too accurate with doing their homework. Actually the dry weight of the BMW 335i Xdrive is 1.720kg.

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/...ical_data.html

2nd you might notice, the S4 weights in with extras on top, the BMW lost 10kg with adding options.

I would assume the S4 is well optioned, if both have had similar options, the S4 should be a touch lighter...

The fuel rates make me wonder as well...

Qisha

I surprised no one picked up on the fact that this test was comparing an S/tronic S4, unlike the last test which was manual and that it produced an identical 0-100mph time. So for those that were a bit disappointed that the dual clutch car was slower this shows that it isn't slower at all and will actually provide better ingear times, better economy and emissions.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Well..., when ut comes to economy, these cars are everything but that, and my personal expiriance so far is that NEVER any car returned ''promised'' fuel consumption... These are performance cars, and they need fuel so they can be fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Well..., when ut comes to economy, these cars are everything but that, and my personal expiriance so far is that NEVER any car returned ''promised'' fuel consumption... These are performance cars, and they need fuel so they can be fast.
    Sure thing, I didn't expect it to reach factory claims, it just had to do better that that BMW... at least IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    The fuel rates make me wonder as well...

Qisha
    Did you read AMS and Sport Auto tests? Both magazines claimed that S4 fuel consumption is bigger then 14.0L/100km and that new engine is not that efficient in that department.
    Since my friend works for Motorpresse(which publishes both AMS and Sport Auto) I can tell you that Brilliant Red manual S4 inner city driving fuel consumption is at about 15L/100km level.

Since S Tronic S4 testet by AZ was also not any fuel consumtion wonder we can assume that unfortunately new engine is(S Tronic or not) NOT fuel saving wonder... Its fuel consumption is only marginally better then 4.2L in current S5.

Just new S4 engine is otherwise pretty impressive piece of technology.

Sport Auto tested the S4, is there any scans of these and was it a 'supertest' or just an intro test of a new product, kind of like a 'first drive' among UK mags.

How did it's acceleration figures compare to the others.

Acceleration figures at(or near) AMS test level(I am not having that issue of SA in front of me). Example was manual with 18", Drive Select with Sport Diff, Dynamic Steering and Active Dampers.
    Hockenheim time 1:16,7min-pretty good time BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Acceleration figures at(or near) AMS test level(I am not having that issue of SA in front of me). Example was manual with 18", Drive Select with Sport Diff, Dynamic Steering and Active Dampers.
    Hockenheim time 1:16,7min-pretty good time BTW...
    S4 is slower than RS4 and M3 of last generation

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    S4 is slower than RS4 and M3 of last generation
    What did you expect? With 1800kg and 333ps you wanted wonder time?

M3 Limousine time(1.15,2min) is indeed faster but, with 420ps and about 100kg less this is no wonder at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    What did you expect? With 1800kg and 333ps you wanted wonder time?

M3 Limousine time(1.15,2min) is indeed faster but, with 420ps and about 100kg less this is no wonder at all.
    will new RS4l weigh even more then?
    not good perspectives...

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    will new RS4l weigh even more then?
    not good perspectives...
    That would be really insane for Audi...

This weight of the S4 has to put into perspective, off my head I can't quite remember the official weight but reckon 1685kgs isn't far off. Now add the 75kgs everyone believes BMW already include and the S4 totals 1760kgs, a few luxury extras which will have been added by Audi as their press car and you arrive at the 179?kgs it was tested with.

Next thing is to look at the rubber the M3 was using compared to the S4 rubber, so when you add up all of the differences, the 150kgs least, the 85hp more and the trick rubber and I reckon Audi have pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

To really to try to save serious weight without throwing out all comforts like nice seats, air con, radio, sound deadening etc is very expensive indeed...so next RS4 will be at least as heavy as the S4 I am afraid (just like MkII) or probably even heavier.

The fact that the B7 A4 is a bigger car than the current 3 series adds weight
    A4 length 4.70m , wheel base 2.80m
    3 series 4.53m, wheel base 2.76m
    I think the new A4 is okay for its size

I would love to know what weight Audi will pitch the RS5 at. I expected Audi to use light materials extensively but that opinion was prior to the economic turn down, now I'm not so sure, I reckon the exotic use of materials will be reined in a bit and purely used to improve the balance of the car and not to lighten it for lightness sake if you get my drift.

So I doubt it will be any lighter than the S5, heavier internals etc will put pay to that idea but I am expecting an improvement to where the weight is positioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    The fact that the B7 A4 is a bigger car than the current 3 series adds weight
    A4 length 4.70m , wheel base 2.80m
    3 series 4.53m, wheel base 2.76m
    I think the new A4 is okay for its size
    You need to look at the width between the two to really get a good idea of this.

I hate really heavy cars too, and I used to think that RS4 is a pretty heavy car. But, when you considering the real world driving situations, high speed autoband and so on, you'll see that a little weight is ok for safety. If you consider the car only for drag and track days, then yes, 1700 kg is way heavy. But for me at least, an 1750 kg RS5/RS4 with 450 + hp from whatever engine (hope 4.0 TT) is ok. So is with the S4 weight: in real world the car is more than showing it's performance. And we can debate all we want on track times, if we don't know what tires every car used than is not relevant. Let's forget that the M3 and old RS4 both have wider tires than the S4, but if the S4 was on street normal compound and the M3 on Pilot Cups than good bye S4.

And, just look at the GT-R: very heavy car for track, but with the right engine and transmision you can do amazing things if track times are the gold. But I really don't think Audi or Quattro GmbH are very concerned about those figures.
    2007 RS4 V8 - best NA car ever owned
    2006 GOLF R32 - 405 hp HGP TURBO - SOLD