Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please: R8 V8 now or wait for RS5?

Advice please: R8 V8 now or wait for RS5?

As some of you know, I have had a great ride with the RS4 - a few annoying technical problems apart (engine and DRC). I now soon knocking on 3 years and have clocked 64Kkm - when it has been faultfree, I have just loved every minute of it. A great, great car - so much better than my B6 S4 and worth every penny and more in the premium.

But I am thinking about my next ride - should I take the plunge and by a little used R8 V8 now (V10 is too much and too pricey for me) or should I wait another 1.5Y for the newly developed and nagelneu RS5? I just love the R8 having test driven it, but truth told it my does not feel that much better on the road than my RS4 with SS+ and it is very expensive - and I reckon the DRC (when working) is actually at least on par or even better than the Magentic Ride in ther R8, it miles more practical and the RS4 steering is crisper - although the R8 is of course better balanced, more lightfooted, a real eye candy and emits a more wonderful noise on full throttle. On the other hand, just love the idea of an even more powerful V8, the new sport diff and the sexy yet reasonably practial A5 body...

Cast you vote and advice please since I have a hard time decising for myself - and alas I cannot afford both/change 1.5Y from now...

... but truth told it (the Audi R8) does not feel that much better on the road than my RS4
    LOL... If you can't tell much diff between the Audi R8 sports car, and an Audi sedan,.. there is very little that can help, I think. Maybe try one of the better hi performance driving schools. Of course if you are happy with so much less,.. have fun and enjoy driving your sedan car. As they say, "Igorance is bliss". It will save you money if that is your big concern.

Each to their own - but you are right in that your advice is really not useful. But you are most welcome to the cold and icy Nordic winter to teach me how to drive a R8 with mixed wide Central European winter tyres against an RS4 with Nordic winter tyres so much faster...

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhii View Post
    LOL... If you can't tell much diff between the Audi R8 sports car, and an Audi sedan,.. there is very little that can help, I think. Maybe try one of the better hi performance driving schools. Of course if you are happy with so much less,.. have fun and enjoy driving your sedan car. As they say, "Igorance is bliss". It will save you money if that is your big concern.
    Is there a reason why you feel the need to be condescending to other forum members?
    Truth In The Blacklist

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post
    As some of you know, I have had a great ride with the RS4 - a few annoying technical problems apart (engine and DRC). I now soon knocking on 3 years and have clocked 64Kkm - when it has been faultfree, I have just loved every minute of it. A great, great car - so much better than my B6 S4 and worth every penny and more in the premium.

But I am thinking about my next ride - should I take the plunge and by a little used R8 V8 now (V10 is too much and too pricey for me) or should I wait another 1.5Y for the newly developed and nagelneu RS5? I just love the R8 having test driven it, but truth told it my does not feel that much better on the road than my RS4 with SS+ and it is very expensive - and I reckon the DRC (when working) is actually at least on par or even better than the Magentic Ride in ther R8, it miles more practical and the RS4 steering is crisper - although the R8 is of course better balanced, more lightfooted, a real eye candy and emits a more wonderful noise on full throttle. On the other hand, just love the idea of an even more powerful V8, the new sport diff and the sexy yet reasonably practial A5 body...

Cast you vote and advice please since I have a hard time decising for myself - and alas I cannot afford both/change 1.5Y from now...
    your comments and the others are both right.. it depends in what conditions you drive a RS4 or a R8. on a race circuit, the R8 is far superior. I've owned a RS4 for 1.8 years and have driven a R8 for a full day on a race circuit (SPA Francorchamps on a AUDI Sportscar driving experience), and i saw the real difference on the track. No real under streer or oversteer this car can handle curves in an incredible manner. but I think if you drive your car daily, I agree that on a strait line the perf is very similar.

An R8 is far sexier than a RS4, but is also much more costy (too much ?). I am exactly in your situation but have already made the decision to not go for the R8 V8 and wait for the RS5... I prefer a new car than a used one as well, so I can spec it like i want. that is also a factor. Overall I am convinced the RS5 will be as good or superior as the R8 V8 perf wise, but for 15-20000 pounds less (30000 EUR). RS5 is exclusive enough in my eyes.... each time I see a R8 i find it fascinatting ,but same for a A5 in its current dressing, so i can't wait to see it in RS5 suit...
    Last edited by youry; January 5th, 2009 at 00:22.

Is there a reason why you feel the need to be condescending to other forum members?
    Rage, not sure of the reason for your anger. If the the OT had said he had NOT driven a R8, and wished to know the differences, I would be happy to help. This guy says that he has indeed driven the R8, then comes to the R8 forum and says that he can find very little difference between his Audi sedan car and the R8. My response remains the same. He needs to go to a good hi performance driving school. After such an education I'm sure he would be the first to list a long long list of very significant differences between the R8 and an Audi sedan car.

QuattroFun-

i will respectfully disagree with your assessment of the differences between the R8 and the RS4 except for one thing- the increased practicality of the RS4. most car mags have documented time and again the R8's superb steering. and in terms of mass produced vehicles the R8 remains the best handling car in the world today, only the GTR and exige can touch it.

on a track the RS4 has absolutely nothing in common with the R8 (except for formality's sake- the engine). in the real world they are only close in one respect- cruising down a straight line at a constant speed (where even a honda accord would feel very similar at 60 mph).

that being said, you are the buyer and it is what you feel that matters. of note, in all probability the 2011 R8 base engine will be the same as the 2011 RS5

...as such, the RS5 will weigh in about 3-400 lbs heavier than the R8. even with a sports diff and DSG the RS5 will not be quite as fast in a straight. and on the track it will be closer than the R8-RS4 argument you put, but still no cigar. however, the price argument you pose is valid. and if you can get very close R8 performance for 40K USD less one has to consider the point, though there are intangibles that 40K can get you that only an R8 owner will ever know.

finally. if you can only own one car and you have to drive that car through a heavy winter- the decision has already been made. damage to an RS5 will be a bummer. damage to an R8... would be a sin.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Thx for your comments and personal experiences so far, which seem to differ, and keep them coming. It seems to me that very few approach the comparison from an "only car and daily driver as well as fun factor in variety of conditions on public roads, which however do not include the track when it comes to one's own car" point of view. The R8 is great like I said and I am no doubt about its merits in the right conditions, but I like I said during my test drive on public roads at almost legal speeds it did not feel to me that much better and sharper than my RS4 apart from the rock star feelgood factor, appreciation that it is much more special and great noise of course. Again personal experience of course - or maybe I did not drive it long enough (2 hrs). Plus the driving position and the standard R8 seats are less comfortable to me than in the RS4.

I see the merits for me of the RS5 like youry - not because it will be better on the track in the summer than the R8 (obviously it will not be as it will be a GT), but because it will probably work better for me in the conditions I am driving in if price is considered and the RS4 is anything to go by. Or should I save some more money and wait for the FL R8 with the new updated engine after all? Decisions, decisions...

Go for RS5 if this car will be your d-d

Having driven both R8 and S5 MTM K500, I will definitely buy the R8....
    The whole driving experience is so much better in the R8....

my 0.002 french francs

Frederic

RS5.Will be newest,faster than R8 V8.I tested R8.It is faster in track than RS4 but not for 40.000 euro extra.For everyday, fast driving, RS4 is equal.RS5 will be quicker and more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post

Huh... Regarding difference between RS4(SS+,19") and R8(Magnetic Ride) I can tell you just one thing-how long was your R8 test drive? Why?

Since your opinion about differences between two cars is only valid IMHO when we talk about sheer straight line acceleration-here R8 is just marginally faster.

In every other situation R8 is in drive dynamics ablout three classes above RS4 in my opinion.

There is a problem for Audi fans when they test drive an R8-this true sportscar is not like any Audi in its drive dynamics or behaviour. NO understeer at all in ESP off mode and most Audi fans do not like that. R8 is above the limit oversteer car. In all track tests R8 was much, much faster then RS4. Just for example difference on Hockenheim Klein Kurs is 3s... That is massive on short track.

OK, I am biased since I have R8. My advice for you is to wait for RS5, hopefully it will fullfill your needs better then R8.

I'm in the same position too. I own an RS4 and had a look (plus test drove the R8 twice) and I don't feel like spending the extra money for the difference. I'm waiting for the RS5.

Is it just me or is that thread a bit harsh? I can almost feel the displeasure of those arguments between Audi and BMW. We're all on the same side, just remember that!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    There is a problem for Audi fans when they test drive an R8-this true sportscar is not like any Audi in its drive dynamics or behaviour. NO understeer at all in ESP off mode and most Audi fans do not like that. R8 is above the limit oversteer car. In all track tests R8 was much, much faster then RS4. Just for example difference on Hockenheim Klein Kurs is 3s... That is massive on short track.

OK, I am biased since I have R8. My advice for you is to wait for RS5, hopefully it will fullfill your needs better then R8.
    100% in agreement with you on this.

The R8 behaves like no other Audi, and to most Audi customers it's a totally different driving experience that is a little more edgy than they are use to, plus it has next to zero understeer so there isn't the normal tell-tale signals of the limits being approached.

I am probably one of the people who will prefer the TT/RS or RS5 over the R8, simply for all of the above reasons. But that does not mean the R8 is anything other than the best sportscar Audi have ever produced.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
    I'm in the same position too. I own an RS4 and had a look (plus test drove the R8 twice) and I don't feel like spending the extra money for the difference. I'm waiting for the RS5.

Is it just me or is that thread a bit harsh? I can almost feel the displeasure of those arguments between Audi and BMW. We're all on the same side, just remember that!

Regards,
    Well, we are not on the same side-remember that... If R8(4.2 V8) is not better enough sportscar for you or OP that's OK with me. Just, how do you know that RS5 will be better enough?

I understand perfectly if one of important criteria for choosing a car is space and boot size. In that case after RS4 buying something like R8(or Gallardo, 997.2, FL Cayman S or F430) do not make any sense at all.

BUT, if your criteria is drive dynamics and sheer pleasure then choosing (old)RS4 over R8 is indeed strange...

In drive dynamics, roadhloding and sheer pleasure of driving R8 is IMHO completely different world then RS4. Only criteria were RS4 is close to R8 is straight line acceleration and wet road traction.

I just want to point out that comparing RS4 with R8 is actually almost not possible-of course IMHO.

Want a current production sport sedan replacement for RS4?

There are plenty alternatives then:

Audi RS6 sedan(same price range as R8 4.2)
    BMW M3 sedan(yes! If you can live with RWD only. It is very good car IMHO.)
    Mercedes C63 AMG(not my cup of tea but, faster then RS4...)

the question here is -- no question. this guy is looking for a a car he can drive in the snow in no. europe. the R8 is not a consideration. one could fit it with snow tires, but traction is NOT the issue. the issue is ground clearance. you COULD get by with it if the roads are always cleaned well.

anyone trying to justify an RS4 because the R8 is too expensive really cannot afford the R8 imo. because if one can afford the R8 one is so jacked by the idea of owning one that one doesn't let the other considerations bother one.

if i lived in urban boston, for example, and could only afford to have one car i would drive all year round (cost no object- say i only had ONE garage for example) the R8 would still be my car. and i'd get a 5K dollar POS i could hide in the summer and take out in the winter after a bad snowstorm.

as i said before a honda accord will feel the same as an RS4 while cruising in a straight line on the highway commute. why get an RS4 then?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    anyone trying to justify an RS4 because the R8 is too expensive really cannot afford the R8 imo. because if one can afford the R8 one is so jacked by the idea of owning one that one doesn't let the other considerations bother one.

if i lived in urban boston, for example, and could only afford to have one car i would drive all year round (cost no object- say i only had ONE garage for example) the R8 would still be my car. and i'd get a 5K dollar POS i could hide in the summer and take out in the winter after a bad snowstorm.

as i said before a honda accord will feel the same as an RS4 while cruising in a straight line on the highway commute. why get an RS4 then?
    A bit arrogant for you. And totally out of character.

I could afford an R8 but I can't justify the expense and don't see it as practical enough as a daily drive. I just don't agree that it's always money which stop people from buying cars like these.

As for the Honda vs RS4 comment, the same will be true if you are doing the same thing in the R8, such is it's comfort and sound deadening qualities.

The two cars are chalk and cheese and can't see how anyone can compare to two.
    Search and you will find the truth.

That's a no brainer. R8 now. Arguments aside about the current R8 vs a car no one knows anything about, it's a fools game to wait for any car in the future. Life is too short and unpredictable to pass on one of the worlds great supercars. Plus, it's a great time to buy an R8 with the market now at msrp.

Hard to imagine any man human being with blood coursing through his veins not liking an R8.