Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stripped down s8 , anyone done it ??

stripped down s8 , anyone done it ??

hey guys , as you know , i love tracking my cars but i'm becoming quite nervious doing more upgrades to my rs6 because of the tranny , i've even been researching sequential gearbox's , but still nothing.
    so i also have an A8 ( 1998 , 4.2 v8 )which i use everyday which i'm thinking of tracking instead .
    stripping down and changing to manual gearbox would have to be done.
    i have already worked the motor and suspension so its pretty strong but i'm sure that this car can become quite lite due to its alluminium chassis and it its interior panels etc being heavy.

anyone done this ?
    at present the car weighs 1825 kg , how much lighter can it become ?
    also the manual gearbox ? any advise ?

thanks
    garbi

to change to manual gearbox, you will need to change the engine if you think to use an Audi manual gearbox...

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Balsen View Post
    to change to manual gearbox, you will need to change the engine if you think to use an Audi manual gearbox...

Frederic
    Are you sure...?

D2 A8 4.2 was avaliable with manuall 'box.

Are differences so big, that you can't put manual in it?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Are you sure...?

D2 A8 4.2 was avaliable with manuall 'box.

Are differences so big, that you can't put manual in it?
    Available but engine block was not the same between both...

Frederic

Not a manual conversion, but Botang and Tobes over on TSN have stripped down an A8 for tracking.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

If your dead set on running the RS6....I would keep doing it.

If the trans does go....then send it to IPT or Level 10 and have it upgraded.

As a matter of fact. You should get the MTM chip for the trans right now before it goes south.

And, you should send the valve body to Level 10 for the upgrade right now. I can tell you that the Level 10 valve body upgrade is well worth the money as I have had some of thier work.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by garbi View Post
    hey guys , as you know , i love tracking my cars but i'm becoming quite nervious doing more upgrades to my rs6 because of the tranny , i've even been researching sequential gearbox's , but still nothing.
    so i also have an A8 ( 1998 , 4.2 v8 )which i use everyday which i'm thinking of tracking instead .
    stripping down and changing to manual gearbox would have to be done.
    i have already worked the motor and suspension so its pretty strong but i'm sure that this car can become quite lite due to its alluminium chassis and it its interior panels etc being heavy.

anyone done this ?
    at present the car weighs 1825 kg , how much lighter can it become ?
    also the manual gearbox ? any advise ?

thanks
    garbi

DHall1, did you do the valve body on your RS6? I have heard good and bad about Level 10, Nothing good or bad about IPT, I've just seen their website. But with the KW's done, the tranny is the last weak point to deal with.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I just got my TCU back from Hoppen (MTM Chip) but haven't been able to test it out as we got a dump of snow. The first time the chip install was bad and I had to send the TCU back to Hoppen. This time it seems to be OK as I did a scan of the TCU after install with VagCom. The first time VagCom couldn't even find the TCU module, so I'm doing better so far. Just put new plugs and air filters in while it was off the road, went with IK20 ND Iridiums. Replaced a few vacuum lines under the hood with Silicone lines. Why can't the factory use quality silicone lines, the cloth covered rubber ones just don't stand up to age & heat.
    Roy, WA

Question on the Denso plugs. Are the IK20s spec for the RS6? Let us know how they do.

I have always used Denso Iridiums on all my vehicles. When it comes time to change the RS...I will use them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I just got my TCU back from Hoppen (MTM Chip) but haven't been able to test it out as we got a dump of snow. The first time the chip install was bad and I had to send the TCU back to Hoppen. This time it seems to be OK as I did a scan of the TCU after install with VagCom. The first time VagCom couldn't even find the TCU module, so I'm doing better so far. Just put new plugs and air filters in while it was off the road, went with IK20 ND Iridiums. Replaced a few vacuum lines under the hood with Silicone lines. Why can't the factory use quality silicone lines, the cloth covered rubber ones just don't stand up to age & heat.

Nope not on the RS6 yet.

I had installed the Level 10 valve body upgrade years ago on our 91 Supra Turbo. It was running about 400hp on a upgraded turbo kit running 24psi. The factory shift points were butter smooth which is not favorable for applying 400hp to the ground. I could never launch that car under full boost

After the Level10 install, I was able to turn up the boost all the way and launch the car properly. I can tell you the 1-2 upshift at 24psi was out of this world. The car would leave 50ft trail of two strips of black rubber every time after the 1-2 upshift. A trip for sure.

I thought for sure that trans would never last. But it did and I never had to send the rest of it to L10.

This was my wife's car. Now after several years of luxury cruisers and the SUV...she is back in something with guts. She has the AMG. If your running around central Arizona and see the lady driving the Platinum Blue E55....dont mess with her. She can drive that beast. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    DHall1, did you do the valve body on your RS6? I have heard good and bad about Level 10, Nothing good or bad about IPT, I've just seen their website. But with the KW's done, the tranny is the last weak point to deal with.

I just put them in my 225bhp tt. It specs the same plug, Mass flow, and many other parts with the RS6. Of course it only uses half as many as the RS6. The IK20's are one heat range colder but recommended for chipped cars. I can't tell any difference in the tt. We'll see in the RS6. The Iridiums are a little newer design that the NGK's spec'd for our cars.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    If your dead set on running the RS6....I would keep doing it.

If the trans does go....then send it to IPT or Level 10 and have it upgraded.

As a matter of fact. You should get the MTM chip for the trans right now before it goes south.

And, you should send the valve body to Level 10 for the upgrade right now. I can tell you that the Level 10 valve body upgrade is well worth the money as I have had some of thier work.

Hope this helps

thanks , but i'm in south africa.
    i cant find any one willing to upgrade the tranny .

see my problem .

Well, its easy to upgrade the MTM trans chip.

Its also easy to send your valve body to Level 10 in the USA.

Both items will gain huge performance in trans shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by garbi View Post
    thanks , but i'm in south africa.
    i cant find any one willing to upgrade the tranny .

see my problem .

The MTM TCU chip upgrade through Hoppen Motorsports was only $100, pretty cheap upgrade. If you do the MTM engine chip, the TCU upgrade is included for free but I already have the Revo ECU flash upgrade.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Well, its easy to upgrade the MTM trans chip.

Its also easy to send your valve body to Level 10 in the USA.

Both items will gain huge performance in trans shifting.
    Complete stupid question:

How easy is it to remove the valve body on the RS6 ?

You need to remove the gearbox and so on ???

Frederic

Good question. I dont know on the Quattro. Maybe Grizz will see this thread. It should come right off after the pan is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Balsen View Post
    Complete stupid question:

How easy is it to remove the valve body on the RS6 ?

You need to remove the gearbox and so on ???

Frederic

The valve body is easily accessible with the transmission oil pan removed. I inspected mine while servicing the transmission filter. I may go ahead with the level 10 or IPT valve body now that I have done the MTM TCU upgrade. If the transmission goes later, hopefully the valve body will survive and that will be one less cost during the rebuild. Of course while doing the transmission work, cleanliness is alway important. Another thought is that the Torque Converter is the weakest link in our transmissions and that the Audi part is improved and there are improved aftermarket ones out there. But the transmission obviously needs to be removed for this upgrade so at that time, I think a complete tranny rebuild (Stronger) would be in order.
    Roy, WA

the tcu & ecu was done by dna(uk).
    what is level 10 address link , maybe thats a thought to discuss with them further