Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: DRC Repair Procedure Changes

Repair in So Cal

Time to chime in - I have letter in from Audi in hand and called the two local dealers. Pacific service told me that they might only need to replace one or two shocks since the others were replaced in the last six months OK so maybe the service guy was not clear on what the letter said ( replace ALL the shocks - that means 4!)

Long Beach (Circle Audi) was honest and said they have not done any repairs with the new system yet. Any So Cal members have there cars done yet ? where ? Results ?

Give Greg a call. He has a good relationship with his dealer. Also, Hyoctane has connections.

Oh, and call Audi customer service. Tell them there are still idiots out there

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    Time to chime in - I have letter in from Audi in hand and called the two local dealers. Pacific service told me that they might only need to replace one or two shocks since the others were replaced in the last six months OK so maybe the service guy was not clear on what the letter said ( replace ALL the shocks - that means 4!)

Long Beach (Circle Audi) was honest and said they have not done any repairs with the new system yet. Any So Cal members have there cars done yet ? where ? Results ?

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post

Mine said they are comparing the part numbers from my last repair 6 months ago too. I did the compare myself back then from the invoice and mine were all 4 the old parts so i expect to get 4 new shocks. I doubt you would have two new part numbers and two old?? But if for some reason you already have two shocks with the right numbers then they are right. At this point they think that with the new shocks and the new tool to pressurize the system will do the trick.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

"Any So Cal members have there cars done yet ? where ? Results ?"

Got mine done at BH Audi and so far, so good. Tim Bennet is the guy to talk to there.

It looks like BH Audi is the one in the area that's done the most

Here is some easy reading from the ELSAWin repair software:

Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) system, filling
    General information
    Exclusive use is to be made of approved oil for filling or topping off (see Parts catalog).
    Replacement shock absorbers and lines are supplied empty.
    Filling is to be performed only at ambient temperature (approx. 20 ° C).
    Shock absorbers are only to be filled in the installed position.
    Line and shock absorber must be drained, evacuated and filled separately.
    Vehicle must not be allowed to stand on its wheels when DRC system is open (e.g. open line/shock absorber connection).
    Valves on filling appliance are open when shutoff levers are in parallel with direction of flow.
    Draining, evacuation or filling of lines is to be performed in area of rear axle/spare wheel well. Pay attention to the following:
    [LIST]
  7. Remove heat shield in area of exhaust system. [*]Unfasten bolted joint of center unit at spare wheel well.[/LIST]
    [LIST][/LIST]Lines are not to be bent.

AND

DRC troubleshooting
    No pressure at both center valves
    Troubleshooting table
    Vehicle reaction
    Remarks
    Corrective action

[LIST]
  8. Severe roll
  9. Sluggish steering response
  10. Severe overshoot on vertical actuation [*]Rumbling with individual obstacles[/LIST]

11. [LIST]
  12. All-in-all similar to behavior of vehicle with faulty shock absorbers or extremely restricted damping [*]Function check with shock tester/identification of damaged shock absorbers[/LIST]

13. [LIST]
  14. Replace center valves [*]Charge system[/LIST]

My repair is taking longer than expected, The service manager called to state they are replacing the lines as well. The lines are comming from Canada. He was quick to say I would not be charged for the lines which was approved by AOA. The A3 S-line loaner is fun smaller car.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best- Occam's Razor

I have watched this thread develop.

My car is at around 21K now; never any DRC problem. I bought the car in Louisville, had some annual service there for 2 years, then annual service since at Continental in Naperville, as it is a more convenient trip for me to Chicago metro. I have had oil changes done at my local Audi dealer, who was not in the RS6 program, but I knew they could handle the oil change in between annual services.

Last week I got a call from the service manager at my hometown Audi dealer, saying that the "recall parts for the suspension", and the special tools for the work had arrived and I could schedule the repairs at my convenience.

I had planned to make arrangements with Continental, since Mark had a good experience there, and they have done 4 others per him as well. Now, I don't know why my dealer in town got the tool and the parts, before I talked to them.

Bottom line: With all that is at stake, would you opt to stay local with the competent tech who has done nothing to RS6 but oil changes, but who can read a manual and follow directions, or would you bail and go to Naperville, where they have done at least 4 already??

Thanks!
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

If your honest and open with the local dealer and sit down the staff to discuss the plan....that would be my only consideration. Express your concerns and ask questions.

Did you go over the steps exactly?
    Did you read and review the literature?
    Do you realize several dealers are having a difficult time doing this?
    Are you willing to do whatever it takes to make this repair correct?
    Are you willing to call Audi tech assist and speak with staff before you start on my car?

Face to face with the tech and get some straight answers.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    I have watched this thread develop.

My car is at around 21K now; never any DRC problem. I bought the car in Louisville, had some annual service there for 2 years, then annual service since at Continental in Naperville, as it is a more convenient trip for me to Chicago metro. I have had oil changes done at my local Audi dealer, who was not in the RS6 program, but I knew they could handle the oil change in between annual services.

Last week I got a call from the service manager at my hometown Audi dealer, saying that the "recall parts for the suspension", and the special tools for the work had arrived and I could schedule the repairs at my convenience.

I had planned to make arrangements with Continental, since Mark had a good experience there, and they have done 4 others per him as well. Now, I don't know why my dealer in town got the tool and the parts, before I talked to them.

Bottom line: With all that is at stake, would you opt to stay local with the competent tech who has done nothing to RS6 but oil changes, but who can read a manual and follow directions, or would you bail and go to Naperville, where they have done at least 4 already??

Thanks!

Well I and am taking my car in on Monday to Circle Audi in Long Beach - they told me they have done 4 cars so far with no issues. They fixed the DRC last time and had it as close to new as I could remember ......

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    I have never heard of a dealer taking the liberty to order this type of stuff before confirming that you even wanted to get it. That is strange. I thought the customer was the one who is supposed to initiate the procedure, not the dealer.

I would go where you feel the most comfortable, because it is about you feeling good and getting a good job, not about a dealership trying to secure the work by pre-ordering the kit and asking you when you are coming in.

Same thing happened to me gregoryindiana, my local dealer called to say that my car was under the recall and that I should call them back for an appointment. I didn't have any confidence in them so I elected to drive a hour for another dealer, although, I'm still unhappy with the ride height.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Same thing happened to me gregoryindiana, my local dealer called to say that my car was under the recall and that I should call them back for an appointment.
    Calling to inform you of the recall and offering an appointment is one thing, but calling to say they have already ordered your parts, they are in, and then expecting to make an appointment without really knowing if he even still runs the original system is something quite different.

Sounds like the dealer wants to drum up some business, since you never had this DRC conversation with them before. Mine had also ordered my parts, but I had talked with them months ago, so I'm glad he remembered. Plus, my options are somewhat limited here.
    FWIW, if your local dealer doesn't have an RS6-qualified tech, I'd be hesistant to let them do this no matter how nice they are. He very likely could do it, but why take chances? From the flurry of recent threads on this topic, obviously a lot of RS6-certified mechanics are also screwing this up!

Worst case if the local guy does it:
    You'll need a DRC re-do (time w/o RS6 while waiting for app't, parts, etc., plus installation down-time).

If you go to an experienced dealer, your local guy may have some hurt feelings, but that's not really your problem.

Congratulations, by the way, that you've only needed oil changes so far!!!

My 2 cents.

Guys, DRC isn't connected to anything electronic on our RS. Any competent mechanic should be able to install acouple hydrualically filled shocks and valves, right? It shouldn't be much difference between installing new shocks/CV's and bleeding the brake system. I think the two main issues is not following instructions and improvising instead of contacting AoA for help. JMHO
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

And they should know to set the ride correctly, right? And they should know to test drive at least around the block to see if their fix is going to hold up, right? And the shocks shouldn't leak, right?

I'll take experience (successful) over theory any and every day of the week.

And actually, my experience proves you technically incorrect. My dealer forgot to connect a suspension linkage that tells the bi-xenon lights how to level themselves. Got a CEL on the way home, had to drive another 1 hr round trip to get that fixed (as well as to have them reset the MAF's that also threw a code on unrelated work).

As posted earlier I picked my car up yesterday from fix #2 (#1 installe, #2 bringing the ride height back down) and I drove a little aggressively and not only was there knocking in the rear but occaisonally the rear end seemed to jump or slip somewhere in the suspension while cornering? I may be installing the KW's sooner than planned as this is unacceptable. It definitely handled better before the new shocks, too late, if I could have done it over again I would have left it alone until the KW install. Oh well, thanks for nothing Audi. I just can't afford the time as some have done to keep taking my car to the dealer when I know in the long run it is a loosing battle.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post

And actually, my experience proves you technically incorrect. My dealer forgot to connect a suspension linkage ..................
    Like I said, the ELSA clearly states "reassemble ALL wiring connections...." Your dealer didn't follow instructions
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------