My car is in for DRC repair as of last week. I have had the dreaded "clunk in the trunk" for about a year now. I brought the car in this time last year to have it diagnosed and Fidelity turned down the claim saying they could not produce the same symptoms I was having and that some seeping fluid on the strut was "normal". I was told that the DRC needed to get worse before they would pay for the repair. Rather than fight about it (I needed my car the next day) I drove it and just ignored the clunk for the last year but it has gotten progressively worse. I drive my car for business so I really only have the holidays to drop it off.

I printed out the RS6 Tech Training document DHall provided in another post (60 pages)

I showed this document to the Service Manager, Audi Regional (happened to be visting the dealer) and Fidelity Rep (was there to examine the car for the claim). They were all in the Service Manager's office discussing my RS6 when I showed up at the dealer to swap out the Enterprise rental SUV for an A4 Cab.

I was told the DRC repair procedure in the document is outdated and they have a new tool/system that allows them to replace the leaky strut, refill and charge the system. I have yet to see this new procedure however they promised to print it out and hand it to me when I pick up the car in about a week. If they do that, I will scan it and post it here.

A friend of mine has a Daytona Gray RS6 and also had this new procedure performed at the same dealer (Jim Ellis Audi, Marietta). He's had his car back for about a month and so far the DRC is still working properly after the repair.

He initially took his RS6 to a local dealer in Chattanooga, TN when he heard the "clunk in the trunk". That dealer did not have the new tool or training on the new procedure so they contacted Audi's regional rep who authorized to have the car shipped down to Georgia to have the work performed.

Turns out that the leaky strut was the FRONT driver's side but since the system crosses like and "X" from the front left to the rear right. The weight of the front (engine, passenger) compressed the strut/spring so that the clunk/bounce was heard and felt in the right rear since the fluid leaked and the system lost pressure. The trunk/rear is lighter so the strut/spring is not as compressed. So if you are hearing a clunk in the rear, chances are the front strut is leaking so have the dealer check for that. I am having the same symptom so guessing this will be the same for me as well.

So... stay tuned.