Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Audi R8 V10 unveiled

Ok, this thread is about R8 V10. Just Artur777 requested some info about forthcoming 997.2 Turbo models(FL). There will be two models-997.2 Turbo with 500ps(manual and PDK) and little bit later 997.2 Turbo S model(530ps and PDK only). Both will have new engine based on 3614ccm current DFI Carrera engine. Just it will feature(hopefully) true dry sump, updated PTM(Porsche's AWD) and that famous PDK. It will be without any doubt better car then current 997 Turbo. Just, will it be better car overall then R8 V10?
    IMHO if you want manual answer is NO. On the other hand if DCT like box is a must then 997.2 Turbo with PDK is better choice since I am not a fan of R Tronic.

R8 V10 will give you excellent design(that is MY opinion), truly excellent drive dynamics and engine that can be described as nuclear power plant(!)... My personal choice is R8 V10. Just for your info IMHO normal R8(V8) is as good as V10, just not as fast...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Ok, this thread is about R8 V10. Just Artur777 requested some info about forthcoming 997.2 Turbo models(FL). There will be two models-997.2 Turbo with 500ps(manual and PDK) and little bit later 997.2 Turbo S model(530ps and PDK only). Both will have new engine based on 3614ccm current DFI Carrera engine. Just it will feature(hopefully) true dry sump, updated PTM(Porsche's AWD) and that famous PDK. It will be without any doubt better car then current 997 Turbo. Just, will it be better car overall then R8 V10?
    IMHO if you want manual answer is NO. On the other hand if DCT like box is a must then 997.2 Turbo with PDK is better choice since I am not a fan of R Tronic.

R8 V10 will give you excellent design(that is MY opinion), truly excellent drive dynamics and engine that can be described as nuclear power plant(!)... My personal choice is R8 V10. Just for your info IMHO normal R8(V8) is as good as V10, just not as fast...
    Thanks for the info!
    I like your words "nuclear power plant" about R8 V10 engine
    Let's wait for some tests of R8 V10.
    Also when will it go on sales in Europe?

March 2009 in Germany, April for rest of EU.

Interesting picture...

The sequential R tronic is available as an option. The high-tech gearshift conveys an authentic racing feel – with the rocker switches at the steering wheel and the short shifting times of usually less than one-tenth of a second.
    Allegedly the new R8 V10 r-tronic shifts faster than LP560 e-gear.

LP560 - 120ms
    R8 V10 < 100ms

Scuderia does 60ms shifts. Lets see how close will new r-tronic come.

Quote Originally Posted by emve View Post
    Allegedly the new R8 V10 r-tronic shifts faster than LP560 e-gear.

LP560 - 120ms
    R8 V10 < 100ms

Scuderia does 60ms shifts. Lets see how close will new r-tronic come.
    Think 80ms.

Though this and even the Scuderia's 60ms are both a life time compared to S/Tronic or Porsche's PDK, these systems shift in single figure ms.

Quote Originally Posted by KersoF1

The Porsche will still be an impressive car but it still has the engine in the wrong place for a true sportscar with balanced handling characteristics. It will probably be quicker or as quicker as the R8v10 (unless Audi are being as truthful with it's outputs as Nissan was with the GTR ) but it will not corner or handle as well as the Audi and it will still steer from the rear end, not even a brilliant awd system can cure that one.

There is another problem with the Porsche if you dislike turbo power, it's not the power plant of choice when looking for a true driver's car. And unless Porsche have made a complete u-turn with it's controls, the PDK is the worst design and executed dual clutch system on the market, I would for go the speed and smoothest for the decent and logical control layout on the R8, and anyway who knows, these improvements to the R/Tronic might redem it in your eyes.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Just one thing that I do not agree with you is about PDK. Yes, steering wheels "puddles" are not the best thing BUT, overall this is the BEST DCT on the market IMO. I tried 997.2 CS with PDK and I was very, very impressed. Much, much better then S Tronic in TTS or M-DCT in M3 IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Think 80ms.

Though this and even the Scuderia's 60ms are both a life time compared to S/Tronic or Porsche's PDK, these systems shift in single figure ms.

The Porsche will still be an impressive car but it still has the engine in the wrong place for a true sportscar with balanced handling characteristics. It will probably be quicker or as quicker as the R8v10 (unless Audi are being as truthful with it's outputs as Nissan was with the GTR ) but it will not corner or handle as well as the Audi and it will still steer from the rear end, not even a brilliant awd system can cure that one.

There is another problem with the Porsche if you dislike turbo power, it's not the power plant of choice when looking for a true driver's car. And unless Porsche have made a complete u-turn with it's controls, the PDK is the worst design and executed dual clutch system on the market, I would for go the speed and smoothest for the decent and logical control layout on the R8, and anyway who knows, these improvements to the R/Tronic might redem it in your eyes.
    The Ring time will answer this question - which car will be better:-) Though in terms of handling R8 V10 will be brilliant.
    My expectations:

- acceleration: LP560 and FL 997 Turbo will be faster
    - handling: R8 V10 will be №1
    - design, exterior: R8 V10 is very lovely

Just one thing that I do not agree with you is about PDK. Yes, steering wheels "puddles" are not the best thing BUT, overall this is the BEST DCT on the market IMO. I tried 997.2 CS with PDK and I was very, very impressed. Much, much better then S Tronic in TTS or M-DCT in M3 IMHO...
    Pls mention in which parts it is really better.
    I have tried both M-DCT and S-Tronic trannies.

Creep mode in slow city driving is far better on PDK. Downshift in auto mode are much faster(in split second from 6. to 2. gear for example). Six programms(normal, Sport and Sport Plus for both manual and auto mode) work excellent indeed. You really need to test drive 997.2 CS with PDK and Sport Chrono.

Creep mode in slow city driving is far better on PDK. Downshift in auto mode are much faster(in split second from 6. to 2. gear for example). Six programms(normal, Sport and Sport Plus for both manual and auto mode) work excellent indeed. You really need to test drive 997.2 CS with PDK and Sport Chrono.
    Does S/Tronic now have creep mode, I thought only the M-DKG had the system along with PDK now. Can you explain why it's better in the Porsche than in the BMW, after all it just creeps along at less than walking pace or it this incorrect?

Also can you explain why it is quicker than all of the other in auto mode. I have only driven a S/Tronic in a TT before and in auto sport mode the down shifts were performed at lightening speed, it was definitely quick enough for my liking.

P.S.

If you could put up with those paddles in the Porsche then you are a lot easier to please than I first thought.
    Search and you will find the truth.

this PDK and DSG BS makes me laugh. takes the passion and technicality out of driving. beat me in a race with one of those and i'll know i lost driving while you won GUIDING.

put a real stick in the GTR boys and lets see what it'll do, i say.

this is why i love the ZR1. it is meant to be driven. no excuses. no BS.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Dear Friends,

talking about "most advanced" or "best of all" Dual Clutch Transmission...

Getrag supplies the BMW and Ferrari option. The Ferrari transaxle version is good for 750NM and achieves a spread ratio range between 4.7 and 6.1. and all of this for 9.000 rpm+. Parallel developed BMW version is a bit weaker, 600NM (also 9.000 rpm: M3) as well as the 2nd version (top engine speed 7.500 rpm: f.e. 335i) with a wider ratio range for better fuel economy.

The ZF version, a cooperate development with Porsche is the most advanced system on the market (right now). Transfering a max of 700NM (450NM in transaxle version) and beeing able to cope 8.000 rpm, not as "strong" as the Getrag product but lighter, better cooling flow, the fastest shift times and the wider band of "shift mode options" marks the 7DT45 as the reference Dual Clutch Transmission so far.

...most likely until the end of 2009, early 2010 as a 8 speed Version is on the way...

Anyway, it is all up to personal need, likes or dislikes and personal taste. The differences are small and to me are more a matter of software...

Fuel economy and Co2 regulations, the advantage here is 5-10% (depending on TCU) over a manual.

The Purist will always choose a manual...

Qisha

Dear Qisha,

Great post, thanks for information.

What about DSG/S-Tronic? A few months ago I've read the 7-speed S-Tronic was good up to 550 Nm, is the situation still so? And what about exact shift times of BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and VW/Audi?

Oh, and Mitsubishi...

actually i have to take my opinion back, the hi res pictures just look insane, also the Wheels just look hardcore.
    the car itself its just so BRTUAL

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    ~200 lbs difference. worth it for the extra comfort and interior space of the R8. all that for negligible perfo differences by the LP and likely better handling in the audi with an 80K USD savings to boot!

duh!!!!!!!!
    Yup you got it. I just cant wait for the magazine and video tests. Cant WAIT

One of my favorite changes, subtle as it may be, is that they got rid of the textured plastic diffuser and front intake blades!

That shit is impossible to clean because of the texture. The new ones appear to be smooth and glossed.

Quote Originally Posted by wedouglas View Post
    One of my favorite changes, subtle as it may be, is that they got rid of the textured plastic diffuser and front intake blades!

That shit is impossible to clean because of the texture. The new ones appear to be smooth and glossed.

clean them well then apply some 303 protectant. easy to clean after all that. same with the engine vents.

btw- have fun, but plz watch the expletives. we let them fly from time to time in our excitement. but this is a family show
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10