Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi R8 V10 unveiled

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    That makes no sense, as the down side with weight is usually discovered when you want to turn the vehicle in one direction or the other, or brake.

Don't tell me that the magnetic ride is going to fix all that?
    But that stuff wasn't a problem with the R8 V8 in the first place. Sure, lighter would be better, but it seemed to do pretty well for what it weighed. GT-R weighed a lot too.

This could also possible end up helping V8 resale towards launch. If demand sparks up again with the V10, it will make getting one that much harder again. Even if the V8 will be lower performance, they don't build them at separate facilities. If the factory has a ton of orders again, it doesn't matter what engine they are, the allocation gets filled.

While I'm not concerned about resale, it's still would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by quattro Gmbh View Post
    i agree it's overweighed. i don't see much difference other than engine with bigger displacement. does it have variable rear differential like in lp560? i didn't read it.

r8's position looks similar to cayman in porsche model line. cayman has also better chassis than 911 but is clearly downgraded by lacking lsd and power.
    Though not proof positive, but when you see how playful the rear is on the R8v8 I can only assume that the Audi does indeed have the very same LSD as the LP560 has. So likewise the same conclusion much be taken that the V10 model will retain the same spec.

To compare the R8 to the Cayman is wrong, one is a mid model (Cayman) while the other (R8) is an expression of Audi's sporting achievement and the very top of their model lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    That makes no sense, as the down side with weight is usually discovered when you want to turn the vehicle in one direction or the other, or brake.

Don't tell me that the magnetic ride is going to fix all that?
    Weight does have a bearing on the abilities you listed but it usually becomes a problem if the chassis is out of balance with the weight at one extreme or the other, in the case of the R8 it's got the perfect mid-engined weight distribution and thus will only be affected in acceleration where PTW is king. Even in braking all that is required is bigger brake disc and calipers, direction changes can be over come with stiffer suspension but as it's got magneticride a slight tweak to the setup should be the only real change.

As wedouglas pointed out, the R8v8 copes with both it's weight disadvantage and lack of true power to over come most of it competition. In fact on more than one occasion is has been quicker than the last Gallardo which has an even bigger power advantage.

It will surprise a lot of people, the doubters and optimists alike.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    It's 210kgs heavier than the Lambo.

That means I need wear only my undies and have a dump and I am good to go.
    It hardly is 210kg heavier.

LP560 - 1550kg
    R8 V8 - 1620kg
    R8 V10 - est. 1650kg (30kg heavier according to the press release)

Numbers from german magazines. The officialy stated weight for the LP560 - 1430kg or so - doesnt include oil, water ... and is far from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by emve View Post
    It hardly is 210kg heavier.

LP560 - 1550kg
    R8 V8 - 1620kg
    R8 V10 - est. 1650kg (30kg heavier according to the press release)

Numbers from german magazines. The officialy stated weight for the LP560 - 1430kg or so - doesnt include oil, water ... and is far from reality.
    But didn't you think that Audi claimed also dry weight with its figures of 1620 and 1650kg?
    Full weight will be about 1770kg for R8 V10

R8 5.2 quattro... Sweet ride from Ingolstadt!

When can we expect first ones on the street...?

Dear Friends,

for comparison, weight (RL 92/21/EWG) :

R8 V8 6-speed 1.560kg ptw: 3.71

R8 V8 R-tronic 1.565kg ptw: 3.73

R8 V10 6-speed 1.620kg ptw: 3.09

R8 V10 R-tronic 1.625kg ptw: 3.10

LP560-4 Coupe 6-speed 1.500kg ptw: 2.68

LP560-4 Coupe E-gear 1.505kg ptw: 2.69

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    But didn't you think that Audi claimed also dry weight with its figures of 1620 and 1650kg?
    Full weight will be about 1770kg for R8 V10
    Rubbish. You are utterly wrong. As I said. These numbers are test numbers from german magazines and fully comparable. No mfc claims.

What quisha now posted seems right. Difference between LP560 egear and R8 V10 r-tronic is about 100-120kg.

WOOOO

cant wait to see and hear more!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emve View Post
    Rubbish. You are utterly wrong. As I said. These numbers are test numbers from german magazines and fully comparable. No mfc claims.

What quisha now posted seems right. Difference between LP560 egear and R8 V10 r-tronic is about 100-120kg.
    emve,

this weight posted by Qisha - is it dry weight or full weight including pasenger, fuel and luggage?
    car magazines could also post this or that weight.
    whjere is the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    emve,

this weight posted by Qisha - is it dry weight or full weight including pasenger, fuel and luggage?
    car magazines could also post this or that weight.
    whjere is the truth?
    I think we have all got the wrong end of the stick, after checking it seems to be that what Qisha has posted is correct.

The official figure of the LP560 is dry weight, this is not the same as what Audi quote, they quoted a static weight with fluids.

The figure BMW seem to use is driver with 1/2 tank of fuel and luggage, though I can't believe the 75kgs allowed comes anywhere near this combination.

So in light of all of this I am more convince that the R8v10 will be quicker almost everywhere than the LP560, and that means quicker than the F430, F430Scuderia, Z06 and possibly the GT2 and GTR on rare occasions.

Dear artur777,

for clarification:

the weight meassured after RL 92/21/EWG includes all fluids with 90% filled tank, excluding driver and options.

For marketing reasons the weight is often declared as "dry".

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear artur777,

for clarification:

the weight meassured after RL 92/21/EWG includes all fluids with 90% filled tank, excluding driver and options.

For marketing reasons the weight is often declared as "dry".

Qisha
    Thanks for the clarification.
    It's all clear now.

It means that with the driver R8 V10 will weigh about 1700 kg.
    It's less weight than GTR but a little bit more than 911 turbo

ok. so in conclusion Qisha's figures are apples and apples between the LP and the V10? or are they apples and oranges?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Apples and apples.

The difference will be about 100-120kg.

1505kg for LP560 is the number comparable with 1625kg of R8 V10.

~200 lbs difference. worth it for the extra comfort and interior space of the R8. all that for negligible perfo differences by the LP and likely better handling in the audi with an 80K USD savings to boot!

duh!!!!!!!!
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

So we have gathered that the difference in weight between the R8v10 and the LP560 is small, basically a well built passenger. We have also gathered that according to both companies (Audi and Lamborghini) their respective performance up to 125mph is only 0.2s apart, so on almost every circuit with the possible exception of the ring the Audi should be quicker if past history is anything to go by. And with regards to the ring, the R8 might just be quicker than Gallardo here too, because there is really only one straight where the Gallardo's top end pace will tell, everywhere else the R8 should hold the upper hand.

If KersoF1 has been told 10 seconds quicker than the R8 this maybe true, but something tells me that this is a very conservative estimate.

P.S.

The LP560 is a nice looking car but in comparison to the R8 it hasn't got the elegance or beauty. The Gallardo is all about 'LOOK AT ME' and aggression which suits some people, just not me.

On looks I class the R8 up there with the likes of the DB9.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    So we have gathered that the difference in weight between the R8v10 and the LP560 is small, basically a well built passenger. We have also gathered that according to both companies (Audi and Lamborghini) their respective performance up to 125mph is only 0.2s apart, so on almost every circuit with the possible exception of the ring the Audi should be quicker if past history is anything to go by. And with regards to the ring, the R8 might just be quicker than Gallardo here too, because there is really only one straight where the Gallardo's top end pace will tell, everywhere else the R8 should hold the upper hand.

If KersoF1 has been told 10 seconds quicker than the R8 this maybe true, but something tells me that this is a very conservative estimate.

P.S.

The LP560 is a nice looking car but in comparison to the R8 it hasn't got the elegance or beauty. The Gallardo is all about 'LOOK AT ME' and aggression which suits some people, just not me.

On looks I class the R8 up there with the likes of the DB9.

Agree with you on the looks and everything.
    Comparing LP560 and R8 V10 on price basis, I should say that R8 V10 looks like a real bargain... I am not against LP560 - it's a nice package, but R8 V10 seems to me a ore reasonable purchase.

I will wait for the info from KresoF1 about 997.2 Turbo S which will be compared to R8 V10 and LP560 very actively. After that it could be concluded who the King of Hills is.:king: