Thread: Where can I get a 160F thermostat?

Where can I get a 160F thermostat?

I've been doing alot of searching, but I can't locate a 160F thermostat for the BCY RS 6 engine. Anyone?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Not sure you should put one in if found?

Most modern electronic cars are programmed to run at certain temperatures. The temp senders for startup/warmup are preset and the car may run rich at a lower temperature which is not good for long term use. 160' maybe ok as it isn't really low but it may not. You may be taking a chance, especially for all the work it takes to get at the thermostat. MGH
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ding, ding! We have a winner.

I would suggest doing alittle research here before diving into this swap/mod.

If MTM and all the other "tuners" are not putting this out. I would stay away. At the minimum, I would get the VAG-COM and log what the current temps are. You could change all the tuning maps by running the engine at different temps.

Also, that said, you could change the operating triggers for the electric fans and keep the engine/compartment alittle cooler. That may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Most modern electronic cars are programmed to run at certain temperatures. The temp senders for startup/warmup are preset and the car may run rich at a lower temperature which is not good for long term use. 160' maybe ok as it isn't really low but it may not. You may be taking a chance, especially for all the work it takes to get at the thermostat. MGH

Well for one, MTM is located in a colder climate. Two, the operating temp you refer to is the OIL temp(which is 176F), not the coolant temp. My car's oil temp sits at about 220-240F with the OEM 189F coolant thermostat(The weather is always HOT, when there're no hurricanes ). This is why I wanted the lower coolant temp, which would in turn reduce the overall operating temp of the oil. I figure the 160F thermostat would help drop oil temp to about 200-220F, well above the required operating temp. I've seen a 176F "race" thermostat for A4's but I'm unsure about fitment. Any thoughts?

DHall1, how do I change the trigger points for the fans?
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

there is no point to this. normal operating temps for the rs6 are 90-100c - having a thermostat open sooner will not lower the operating temps. on my car warmup time is extremely low (about 3 minutes) and, in a warmer climate, will be even faster - so i can't see the advantage of lowering it even further. otoh, changing the fan control module to bring the fans in sooner and stepping them up sooner would help to keep temps down in normal driving conditions.

having said all that the better "mod" would be to get the extra radiators of the "hot weather" package, and go with the audi-designed solution for your problem.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

My car came with the warm weather package, I'll check and see if the extra rads were installed. How do I change the fan control module? (haven't checked with VCDS as yet)

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

you should have 2 extra rads installed behind each intercooler. there is nothing you can chage with vcds that affects the cooling system.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

MTM and the other tuners tune for cars around the world. Check with Vag-com to see if that software can change the temp at which the fans trigger.

I really dont see any gains here. But like I said, go dig up some research and get back with us.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Well for one, MTM is located in a colder climate. Two, the operating temp you refer to is the OIL temp(which is 176F), not the coolant temp. My car's oil temp sits at about 220-240F with the OEM 189F coolant thermostat(The weather is always HOT, when there're no hurricanes ). This is why I wanted the lower coolant temp, which would in turn reduce the overall operating temp of the oil. I figure the 160F thermostat would help drop oil temp to about 200-220F, well above the required operating temp. I've seen a 176F "race" thermostat for A4's but I'm unsure about fitment. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post

Sorry Im late to the party and dredging up old threads but, synthetic oils work best at temps above 220F. The optimum temp for syn oil under normal conditions is 230F, so trying to cool a synthetic oil is not the way to go unless you see temps at the track at about 280 or 290 then you have no worries. Back in the day when everyone was using conventional oil it was important to keep the oil cool to keep it from baking or sludging thats not the case anymore if you use synthetics.