Thread: Winter tyre problem

Winter tyre problem

Hi,

Having decided that we should get winter tyres for the Christmas / New Year family visit (and ski trip) it looks like the only ones that will fit are Pirelli Sottozero...but...I can't find a single tyre fitting company in the UK that can get hold of them. The ceramics mean I can't change the whole wheel...

Any ideas?

I've thought about trying to get them changed once we arrive in Germany. The alternative is to take a completely different car (with winter tyres) - the wife's Honda Civic! :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: Help!

KM

Bridgestone Blizzaks!! Take it from a guy living in Northern Utah. Though it recommends a narrower size in the Audi manual, I got them in the same size as my summer tires and love them! You California guys are really missing out on some fun driving.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

that's funny. You in the RS6 and the wife in a civic. At least I bought my wife a mini van. LOL. Just kidding

Get a second set of wheels. Save on winter damage on the "good" rims and you can the DIY tire change twice a year. Check brakes while you're swapping tires.

Mike

Yeeks,

I had to buy my wife's Supercharged E55 AMG before I could even test drive an .

That said, I like the idea of having an extra set of wheels. We have always had that type of setup for our winter vehicles.

Now, will he be able to find rims the new beast over across the pond?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    that's funny. You in the RS6 and the wife in a civic. At least I bought my wife a mini van. LOL. Just kidding

Get a second set of wheels. Save on winter damage on the "good" rims and you can the DIY tire change twice a year. Check brakes while you're swapping tires.

Mike

I've got a set of oem 18" for sale ;D

the issue here is he has a C6 RS6 with the ACCB and if im not mistaken the smallest wheel that fits is a 20" im not to sure who offers snow tires in a 20 but I will look when I get to the shop and post it up
    ***Big Drew***

Re:Vision Auto Salon
    Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Remember to pray to the car gods daily

wouldn't AUDI have to offer/partnership some sort of winter tire for the C6?!?!?

Ceramic? NICE!!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks so far. Yep - the ceramics just add to the problem as I can't fit smaller wheels.

I spoke to my local Audi dealership and they can't help. They don't even deal with Pirelli (who as far as I can make out are the only company that makes winter tyres that would fit.)

Just did a quick search. Dunlop Winter Sport 3D are apparently also available in your required dimension 275/35 R20 W

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...01-765143.html
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Here you go. These are in Germany

http://cgi.ebay.de/Winterkomplettrae...1%7C240%3A1318

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    Hi,

Having decided that we should get winter tyres for the Christmas / New Year family visit (and ski trip) it looks like the only ones that will fit are Pirelli Sottozero...but...I can't find a single tyre fitting company in the UK that can get hold of them. The ceramics mean I can't change the whole wheel...

Any ideas?

I've thought about trying to get them changed once we arrive in Germany. The alternative is to take a completely different car (with winter tyres) - the wife's Honda Civic! :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes: Help!

KM

Damn, that's not cheap!

I spoke to my local Audi dealership and they can't help. They don't even deal with Pirelli (who as far as I can make out are the only company that makes winter tyres that would fit.)
    Did you get sorted out with winter tyres for 20" wheels?

Tried any other dealers? Lincoln Audi will try to sell you their preference, but if you tell the tyre guy what you want and the size/speed/load ratings, he'll usually get a price. 01522 688194.

P.S. Ceramics? I'm jealous! I decided against on the principle that I'm unlikely to track the car and you can put a lot of sets of standard brakes on for the money.

P.P.S. Where about in E Anglia? I'm in Lincoln(shire).
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Great - thanks for that. What's caused problems is not that winter tyres to fit the new RS6 don't exist, because they do. The problem has been suppliers not sending them to the UK because of lack of demand.

I've phoned about 10 tyre fitting companies (and my local Audi dealer) and none of them were any help (not returning phone calls etc) and have even chased up Pirelli (UK) but they were really, really not worth the effort and number of return phone calls they needed.

Only "Central Tyres" in my home town were any help and have been great. It's not going to be cheap (about £350 per wheel) but it can be done.

Thanks for the advice.

The Sottozero are Pirellis and they have been worse than useless - needing a number of phonecalls and then not being able to supply them after all!

I'm going with Dunlop WinterSport 3d's - these are the only ones I've found that anyone I've spoken to can get in the UK.

Wow! That's almost $700/tyre. Man....

I'm going with Dunlop WinterSport 3d's ...
    I have got them on my A4 in 235/40 18 and am very sasisfied till now (have them now for 3 weeks)
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Great - thanks for that. What's caused problems is not that winter tyres to fit the new RS6 don't exist, because they do. The problem has been suppliers not sending them to the UK because of lack of demand.
    That's the problem isn't it? I thought about some winter tyres, but to be honest the problems in getting hold of them plus the fact that we only get enough "winter" to justify them a few days a year put me off.

I don't think £350 a corner is that bad for a fairly low sales volume tyre - I'm putting Contis on for the winter at nearly £300 a corner, and they should be floating about in significant numbers. As an aside, I did think about CSC3 in 285/35R20, but was a bit worried about rubbing issues, so played it safe with CSC2 in stock 275/35R20 size.

Let us know how you get on in the snow!

Chris.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport