Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS4 crash video

I think the guy didn't have his two hand on the steering wheel. He slides and I think he wanted to steer the other way but turned the steering wheel to much. I think he could prevented that buy holding the wheel with two hands. Not sure because I can't see him steering...

MB
    What is an Audi without quattro?

Apparently, not his car ... brothers ...

Was that a TT 3.2 that was following him ??

Quote Originally Posted by Michaël Barbé View Post
    I think the guy didn't have his two hand on the steering wheel. He slides and I think he wanted to steer the other way but turned the steering wheel to much. I think he could prevented that buy holding the wheel with two hands. Not sure because I can't see him steering...

MB
    I have something else in mind.... I've seen another accident on track just like that!

I think that the cause is the ESP... As strange as it might sound when you have fast reaction and you counter steer the ESP is tricked to believe that the direction your car should take is the one you point to with the wheel! In other words the ESP corrects your correction further using the brakes and forcing you in uncontrollable spin unless you counter steer the counter steer! or correct the correction!

But this is just my opinion... it could be just be bad driving...

I think his line was reasonable but he was fast in & went from understeer to overseer & could not get the lock off fast enough when it gripped, so it snapped off left

The person who took the vid, says he was trying power slides ... and possibly an Audi loan car

the lads who was with the driver on the day confirmed that the ESP was indeed fully off when this happened.

- taken from AUDISRS

I would say it is just bad driving, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by liwi View Post
    I think his line was reasonable but he was fast in & went from understeer to overseer & could not get the lock off fast enough when it gripped, so it snapped off left

The person who took the vid, says he was trying power slides ... and possibly an Audi loan car

the lads who was with the driver on the day confirmed that the ESP was indeed fully off when this happened.

- taken from AUDISRS
    I was going to say exactly the same thing after viewing the video.
    Search and you will find the truth.

apparently there is no insurance taken out and that it was borrowed from AUDI??only rumours though please correct me from being wrong

Speculation is rife on virtually all of the Audi forums as to exactly what happened, but most if not all eyewitness accounts suggest that the driver was regularly getting out of shape and nearly lost the car on several occasions during his first lap out on the track. Evidently the accident occurred on his second lap. It would appear that he was trying to provoke a powerslide for the benefit of the spectators and his passenger. The marshals were intent on pulling him to one side to 'have a word' at the end of the session, so he had already got their attention.

I was at this event (Audi Driver International) and although I didn't see the accident some friends and I managed to get close up to the car afterwards. The driver was one of a group of four or five lads, one of whom confirmed to me that the ESP was off the whole time. The driver was 23, and at the time we were under the impression that it was his brother's car (as Andyuk911 says). However, as Liwi points out rumours are now circulating that the car was on loan from an Audi Centre. Right now no one knows for sure, but on another forum someone who claims to know the driver says that his own car, an MTM-tuned 480hp B5 RS4, was recently involved in an accident where another driver (who apparently was on the wrong side of the road) hit him head-on. If this story is true and his car is being repaired by Audi then it might explain why he was driving this B7. Either way I doubt very much if the insurers will cough up as Castle Combe is a notorious circuit as far as they are concerned.

Here are some pictures of the aftermath:

2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Unless all Audi dealerships work differently he will have been driving under either the dealer's insurance or Audi's.

But that has no bearing on this accident as it was a trackday and unless you take out trackday insurance you are fucked, or should I say the driver in question.

I only hope he has the money to pay for this and doubt he will ever be dealt with by Audi UK ever again, rightly so.

actually all cars u borrow from audi or from the dealer have big insurances for this cars...so he wont have to pay millions of euros ...

Yes but does that insurance cover track use? I think not.

when it oversteered all he had to do was get off the gas in order to eliminate it.

unbelievable.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I have just found this video, which shows him on his second lap. Evidently after this near miss (42 seconds in) he took it steady for a lap and then binned it on his fourth lap.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DkkDCM...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    when it oversteered all he had to do was get off the gas in order to eliminate it.

unbelievable.
    Well that really doesn't work in every situation, some case can be the worst thing to do.

the better balanced the car the better it works. but any rear biased drive system will respond favorably to this maneuver. used it on my 06 S4 multiple times. the RS4 has the same drive sytem. in the case in this video it would have been the best thing to do. i think he either kept the foot mashed on the pedal thinking he'd regain traction or he did lift off but did so too late. it doesn't appear he did the worst thing possible which would have been to brake.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    the better balanced the car the better it works. but any rear biased drive system will respond favorably to this maneuver. used it on my 06 S4 multiple times. the RS4 has the same drive sytem. in the case in this video it would have been the best thing to do. i think he either kept the foot mashed on the pedal thinking he'd regain traction or he did lift off but did so too late. it doesn't appear he did the worst thing possible which would have been to brake.
    I reckon he has lifted the throttle with opposite lock on the steering which has regained grip and threw the car off in the direction of the front wheels. It's definitely a cert that the car regained grip while the car had opposite lock on because if the lock hadn't have been on the car would have went either straight or to the right in the direction of the corner.

All I would say is there is enough video evidence for Audi to take matters farther.