Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing info on my RS6

Disappointing info on my RS6

Well...not the car, but the very expensive new OEM carbon fiber trim I bought to replace the wood. I had asked the dealer to switch it out, along with an oil change in process, etc.

Dealer called today and said that it was a MAJOR job to make the switch. Air vents needed to be removed from the dash, door panels have to be removed, etc. The cost is part of it, but the dealer was actually more worried that something might get scratched, messed up, etc. doing this job.

To be honest, I like the wood much better than I thought I would. If I hadnt already paid for the CF, I would probably just stick with the wood. But I did buy the CF...for a pretty penny. Lots of research on this site made it sound like this was an easy replacement...snap off, snap on...

Is my dealer full of it? They made it sound like they were going to have to take apart the car to switch the trim... (?)
    Jonathan

66 912 Black/Red

missed:

03 RS6 Avus Silver/Black
    08 RS4 Daytona Grey/Black
    97 C2S Guards Red/Black
    98 C2S Arctic Silver/Black
    04 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Black

I distinctly recall it being trivial and kicking myself for picking the one I did for the major part of the fact it had CF from the factory. methinks your dealer is being a drama queen?

Hmmm,

Given the rare nature and overall condition of the car. I would think real hard before proceeding. I would leave the car the way it left the factory. There is a point of no return when it comes to ripping things apart and once the damage is done...its too late.

I really didnt understand where all the carbon panels were until I spent 13hrs in my car last weekend. Got to know where everything was. haha

Still, if you wanted to proceed. I would practice on a A6 first.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jbtexas View Post
    Well...not the car, but the very expensive new OEM carbon fiber trim I bought to replace the wood. I had asked the dealer to switch it out, along with an oil change in process, etc.

Dealer called today and said that it was a MAJOR job to make the switch. Air vents needed to be removed from the dash, door panels have to be removed, etc. The cost is part of it, but the dealer was actually more worried that something might get scratched, messed up, etc. doing this job.

To be honest, I like the wood much better than I thought I would. If I hadnt already paid for the CF, I would probably just stick with the wood. But I did buy the CF...for a pretty penny. Lots of research on this site made it sound like this was an easy replacement...snap off, snap on...

Is my dealer full of it? They made it sound like they were going to have to take apart the car to switch the trim... (?)

I still stand by my original statement. I like the dark black and gray colors of the wood trim in my car with the red highlights bursting out in the right amount of sunlight. The trim package works!

Hope that is not too dramatic...
    2003 Dayton with Silver, REVO and Hot Bars, APR Catback
    Plano Texas

how much does the full carbon fiber trim go for?
    2003 RS6 - forsale

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Hmmm,

Given the rare nature and overall condition of the car. I would think real hard before proceeding. I would leave the car the way it left the factory. There is a point of no return when it comes to ripping things apart and once the damage is done...its too late.

I really didnt understand where all the carbon panels were until I spent 13hrs in my car last weekend. Got to know where everything was. haha

Still, if you wanted to proceed. I would practice on a A6 first.

Good luck
    I agree with DHall's first sentences. I think the dealer is a little overstating it (as I think i have read people getting the door pieces off without removing the door panels) but having had door panels removed on my RS6 and my past Audi's I will say it never makes it back on as good as original and its up to the tech and their skill popping off pieces without scratching things. Which is why i said take it to the dealer as at least they have more practice than you do. But sounds like they are nervous touching your car. I like the wood myself as thats what i have. I am willing to bet that putting the CF up on ebay or posting it for sale here or on Audiworld you can get your $$ mostly back out of it if you decide to stay as is.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Part of the reason I went ahead and bought the CF is that I had read it was an easy procedure. I am all for keeping stuff original, I would have never got rid of the original wood. I really thought that it was a "pop it off, pop it on" situation. I was going to keep both sets. The CF parts I bought were new from Audi, not used. Therefore, they were pricey. If I can find someone to pay close to what I did, I might just stick with the wood. But I really think that CF goes good with the character of the car...high tech, sporty, etc.

*Sigh*...need to figure this one out. Cant believe that I read this was a DIY item (?)
    Jonathan

66 912 Black/Red

missed:

03 RS6 Avus Silver/Black
    97 C2S Guards Red/Black

swapping trim takes no longer then 25 min
    i did the swap myself and it was easiest "mod"
    just get plastic putty knife, every part pops very easy, the hardest part is to swap trim around hand rest and you dont have to remove any door panels or air vent
    if you would live in IL chicago area i would do it for free, i can not believe audi dealer is being so bitchy

Bitchy...too Funny!
    2003 Dayton with Silver, REVO and Hot Bars, APR Catback
    Plano Texas

Quote Originally Posted by THM View Post
    swapping trim takes no longer then 25 min
    i did the swap myself and it was easiest "mod"
    just get plastic putty knife, every part pops very easy, the hardest part is to swap trim around hand rest and you dont have to remove any door panels or air vent
    if you would live in IL chicago area i would do it for free, i can not believe audi dealer is being so bitchy
    hmmmm... very interesting. Never heard of a dealer that didnt want to collect $$...cant imagine why they wouldnt want to do this if it is workable...
    Jonathan

66 912 Black/Red

missed:

03 RS6 Avus Silver/Black
    97 C2S Guards Red/Black

here is a link sorry no pictures i hope it helps
    http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/610553.phtml

if i'll find more i will post it

Quote Originally Posted by THM View Post
    here is a link sorry no pictures i hope it helps
    http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/610553.phtml

if i'll find more i will post it
    They quoted me 8hrs labor minimum to do the job... I think that your post is going to help me figure this out. Thank you
    Jonathan

66 912 Black/Red

missed:

03 RS6 Avus Silver/Black
    97 C2S Guards Red/Black

Pull the plug on the dealer doing this. I like the AW thread above. It kinda goes back to my post and go and practice on a A6 then do it on the RS.

Good luck

They quoted me 8hrs labor minimum to do the job... I think that your post is going to help me figure this out. Thank you

They quoted me 8hrs labor minimum to do the job...
    You could very well see it take this long if you go to all the lengths to protect everything and be as carefull as it gets. That said, this isn't labour to service a motor, tranny, or anything driveline related. This is interior trim stuff and aside from perhaps a bit tedious is more than something anyone with some patience, time, and a few hand tools could tackled on their own.

Tim
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

When I had my K-40 detector installed on my first RS6, they put the LEDs in the empty dummy switch near the cupholder. He noticed one of my CF inserts was cracked so I ordered another one form the dealer. New one came in and it took less than 1 minute to carefully pop off the old one with a plastic puddy knife (small) and pop in the new piece. I guess the rest of them should be similar?

Good luck and take pics for the nex poor soul that is in your situation.

the a/w writeup is pretty accurate. the centre switch surround and the handbrake trim are the ones that require extra time/care. i have never removed the centre switch surround without losing a tab in the process. centre console is a pita, but not difficult.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Bucking Fobbing Rastards.
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Trust me , It's easy ......
    www.Unit 20.org
    martin@unit20.org
    Home of all things for the RS6 .....