Thread: R8 V10...

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Mid-engined cars have always been difficult to drive or "dangerous" to drive, you have to be quick as a cobra to catch them.
    Are they as bad as FF cars? The rear end hardly ever lets go with FF but when it does, you may as well just assume the crash position because it isn't coming back.

With FR the rear is lost more easily but it comes back much more easily too. Never had the experience of catching my ass in an MR, only drove one briefy on a track day gift package.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    Are they as bad as FF cars? The rear end hardly ever lets go with FF but when it does, you may as well just assume the crash position because it isn't coming back.

With FR the rear is lost more easily but it comes back much more easily too. Never had the experience of catching my ass in an MR, only drove one briefy on a track day gift package.

agree on the FF. scariest thing in the world is an oversteering FF. sure, you have to drive like a jack ass to get it that way but then.... good luck.

afaic my R8 is the safest car i've ever driven or owned- at least at the regular speeds of an average joe like me. it takes some learning to get to know what to do if this or that happens but overall much more confidence inspiring than my S4.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    Are they as bad as FF cars? The rear end hardly ever lets go with FF but when it does, you may as well just assume the crash position because it isn't coming back

Totally crap, a FWD car is easier to catch then anything else, the problem is knowing what to do in any of them and not to panic when it happens.

In FWD when the tail steps out all you need do is apply more throttle to bring the nose wide and regain control. RWD is more predictable but harder to control when it steps out, you need to be ready with opposite lock and control the throttle as a tank slapper will result in you being thrown off in the direction the tail stepped out, plus the angle of slip where it is recoverable is much less than FWD.

Mid-engined cars are like rear-engined cars but to a lesser degree, you get the pendulum effect going on where it's easy to have to tail snaking progressively worse until it finally goes.

Kerso is correct that taking the ESP off you need to have your whits about you but it's probably the easiest of all Mid-engined cars to control which was what I meant in the first place.
    Search and you will find the truth.