Thread: HEX-COM VAG tool - will it work on 2003 RS6?

HEX-COM VAG tool - will it work on 2003 RS6?

It did on '01 S4 and '93 S4 w/dongle.
    Won't on '06 A6 because it's OBD-II.

If HEX-COM won't work, what's the adapter with the best results?

TIA

afaik fully functional, but you would be better with the usb products...

the rs6 has dual "k" lines, and has can-bus...

to be sure email uwe @ross-tech
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

The Ross-Tech HEX-COM will definitely work on your RS6 provided there are no issues with your car.

I have found no advantages to using a USB interface over serial. The only time you'd want USB is if your laptop doesn't have a serial port. Otherwise, I prefer serial since it doesn't require any drivers and the serial port on the laptop is generally more rugged and reliable than USB.

Thanks for the replies. I've had great luck with HEX-COM over serial to date.

Which version of the VAG-COM (or VCDS) software are you running? If you're running an older version, you may want to consider updating it to the latest Release 805 version. It has a few extra features and shouldn't cost anything assuming you're the original purchaser of the interface. My favorite feature is the built-in acceleration measurement tool. It's extremely addicting!

this addition alone makes me think very seriously about plunking down the money for a vag-com

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    this addition alone makes me think very seriously about plunking down the money for a vag-com
    IMO, don't even second guess, just do it. VAG-COM has saved me a lot of money (detected tranny failure in '97 cabriolet before stealer) through the years and countless hours of stealer frustration (especially with wife's Jetta many years ago and the catalytic converters that failed within 3 weeks of warranty expiration and stealer kept sending us home).

Of course the neat tuning things, most over my head, are cool too :-)

Greg,

It will be the best 300 you ever spent. I will order mine as soon as the RS gets home.

Coming from tuning several cars and stand alone engine management systems. It will be fun watching the numbers on the RS.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post

I prefer the USB version (Hex-USB) because you don't ever to register it everytime you end up getting a new laptop, or re-installing the OS.
    Plug and play baby!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    I prefer the USB version (Hex-USB) because you don't ever to register it everytime you end up getting a new laptop, or re-installing the OS.
    Plug and play baby!!!!
    But the same applies for the HEX-COM+CAN serial interface too! The registration info is built into the interface; it doesn't matter if it's USB or serial. So I can (and do) take my HEX-COM+CAN interface from laptop to laptop.

That's cool. I was unaware of that. I thought all serial based interfaces had to be registered to the machine they were being used. Thanks for the clarification.

I just ordered mine (USB) about 10 minutes ago.

Hopefully it will let me make this new RNS-E system play nice w/everything else....
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

$300 is that correct. The other threads I was reading seemed to express it was pricey. If three hundred is it where do I sign up? I'll dig through the old posts, but I know you guys that just bought them can give me the info quicker. Thanks in advance!
    2003 Dayton with Silver, REVO and Hot Bars, APR Catback
    Plano Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Texas RS6 View Post
    $300 is that correct. The other threads I was reading seemed to express it was pricey. If three hundred is it where do I sign up? I'll dig through the old posts, but I know you guys that just bought them can give me the info quicker. Thanks in advance!
    http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down