Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New S4

The Kompressor / Supercharger is made by Eaton.

It spins at 23.000 rpm max, and sits inbetween the head gaskets in the V of the engine. So it must be rather small.

I'm also "worried" that the tuning capabilities might not be extreme.

However, I do like the car.

Strange development:

V6 Biturbo
    V8 N/A
    V6 Kompressor...

What is next?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Torque drops of pretty quikly, but I guess that's what the 7 gears are for. This also means that the piek hp-number is lower, which some people have of course pointed out. But people who are looking to improve their Nordschleife time aren't going to do that with a S4 anyway, so who cares.

This looks like a great package that doesn't need more hpees. It's another "real-world-performance" car, that we've come to know from Audi. And judging by the amount of S5s and S6es I see on the road, compared to other offerings of the high revving variety, the market likes these cars.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Strange development:

V6 Biturbo
    V8 N/A
    V6 Kompressor...

What is next?
    All together

High-reving, biturbo with a kompressor

Finally the full specs have broke on the S4 and we finally know for sure what's going to be there. The engine specs have been known for some time and as PJ points out the torque drops as the revs increase, maybe this has something to do with why it's peak power is level over the last 1500rpm instead of a steady risen that is customary.

Great news that both S/Tronic and Torque Vectoring is making it to the party, shame they are extras but then they do need to re-coup the development costs of both.

Unlike PJ I think this thing will post some pretty decent times on the ring, OK you do need a lot of power to get very quick times but Renault showed that handling is still the key to the first 20+seconds improvement and the final 5~10 seconds is purely power. If the S5 did a 8:25 then I am hoping for a 8:10~15 from a fully specced S4 with S/Tronic and Quattro3.
    Search and you will find the truth.

How is the S4's weight compare to the S5. ?

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    How is the S4's weight compare to the S5. ?

Jarod.
    I'm guessing that the 3.0TFSi engine and the 4.2FSi weigh roughly the same. If you base what we know about the stock A4 vs the equivalent A5, the A4 weighs roughly 45Kgs more.

So I reckon a stock S4 without S/Tronic or Quattro3 will be 1680Kgs (+ - 10~15Kgs).

Far too heavy I know but there you are.

Registered User India Whiskey Charlie's Avatar
    According to Audi's press release, the V6 weighs less than the 4.2 V8:

"Audi's not giving away much more at the moment, but even with a gain in weight of 27 pounds over the existing naturally aspirated V6, the new engine--hailing from Audi's factory in Gyor, Hungary--is still lighter than the V8 it replaces. That means less mass up front. And because it sits in a newly engineered bay with the front differential positioned ahead of the clutch, as in all new Audi models using a longitudinal engine mounting, it is positioned six inches farther rearward than the old V8 in a move that improves overall front-to-rear weight distribution."
    Viken
    2010 S4 S-Tronic
    2007 RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Viken B. View Post
    According to Audi's press release, the V6 weighs less than the 4.2 V8:

"Audi's not giving away much more at the moment, but even with a gain in weight of 27 pounds over the existing naturally aspirated V6, the new engine--hailing from Audi's factory in Gyor, Hungary--is still lighter than the V8 it replaces. That means less mass up front. And because it sits in a newly engineered bay with the front differential positioned ahead of the clutch, as in all new Audi models using a longitudinal engine mounting, it is positioned six inches farther rearward than the old V8 in a move that improves overall front-to-rear weight distribution."
    It maybe lighter than the 4.2FSi but by how much. I still think my estimates are about right given the limited info on body and suspension parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    It maybe lighter than the 4.2FSi but by how much. I still think my estimates are about right given the limited info on body and suspension parts.
    even if it weighs less by only one kilo- it makes more torque and saves 26% more gas and overall the car is faster as well. it is a no brainer. much superior engine. can't wait to see it in the S5. this is a foregone conclusion at this point. and i wouldn't be surprised if it got a bit more compression to produce perhaps a bit more power and torque in that car.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    even if it weighs less by only one kilo- it makes more torque and saves 26% more gas and overall the car is faster as well. it is a no brainer. much superior engine. can't wait to see it in the S5. this is a foregone conclusion at this point. and i wouldn't be surprised if it got a bit more compression to produce perhaps a bit more power and torque in that car.
    +1

Also the fact that it's a V6 which is shorter than a V8.
    HKS786

I think I saw somewhere -10kg (~22lbs)

One little thing - Motor Trend got the 2004 S4 to go from 0-60mph in 4.99 seconds. The new one has less horsepower - that's a little weird - I'd like to see it at least match the figure from 5 years ago!

BUT, one thing to remember - the S4 does not compete with the M3 anymore. It competes with the 335i Coupe, which btw actually has way more than 300hp, so it's 333hp is still in the ballpark for its league.

Unlike PJ I think this thing will post some pretty decent times on the ring, OK you do need a lot of power to get very quick times but Renault showed that handling is still the key to the first 20+seconds improvement and the final 5~10 seconds is purely power. If the S5 did a 8:25 then I am hoping for a 8:10~15 from a fully specced S4 with S/Tronic and Quattro3.
    Well, it won't be slow. With 7 gears you'll rarely find yourself outside the powerband. But you will miss that top end acceleration from time to time, and it will be a complaint when journalists get behind the wheel.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. I drive a Diesel, so I don't mind: can't miss top end power if you've never had it. I think it's a great package. But just a little 'heads up' to the audi fans here. Some of you, in my experience, tend to get a little over excited about new models, and then disappointed when they don't live up to the fanatasy.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
    Well, it won't be slow. With 7 gears you'll rarely find yourself outside the powerband. But you will miss that top end acceleration from time to time, and it will be a complaint when journalists get behind the wheel.
    Journalists seldom complained about the Audi engines or any of the transmission quality, it was usually about the driver involvement and how the cars were as adjustable as rwd cars. So far the only reviews I have read are on the engine in the A6 and it has received nothing but praise concerning the engine, I can't imagine the S4 will be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
    Can't have your cake and eat it too. I drive a Diesel, so I don't mind: can't miss top end power if you've never had it. I think it's a great package. But just a little 'heads up' to the audi fans here. Some of you, in my experience, tend to get a little over excited about new models, and then disappointed when they don't live up to the fanatasy.
    As a fellow diesel owner from time to time I know what you mean about top end grunt, but you can not compare a diesel engine with a petrol when debating such things, the diesels power band is very narrow, usually within 3000 revs while a petrol, even one like the S4 will have a band width of closer to 5500 revs and will also not have the same power on - power off characteristics of a diesel engine, even a good one.

I agree we all hype up future cars, but it's only the journalists which seem to complain with whats on offer.

Any insight on acceleration ? 0-200km/h for a DSG version ?

Quote Originally Posted by emve View Post
    Any insight on acceleration ? 0-200km/h for a DSG version ?

No actual data to go from but one can make a pretty good stab at it based on data from other cars of similar weight, power, drive train, etc.

If the 0-100km/h is a quoted 5.1s (manual) and we know Audi are a bit conversative I would said a time of 4.8s is on the cards for the S/Tronic. That might mean a 160km/h of 11.5~11.8s and a 200km/h of 17.8~18.3s.

Thats perfectly along with my expectations.

Thats slightly faster than a manual S5, right ? I expect the 3,0T 333hp to be at least as fast as 4,2l 354hp in the same car considering very nice torque/power curve. And with a 7-speed DSG it can be slightly faster.

The 5.0TFSI engine for the S8 is right, i'm not sure about the power output.
    395 is the number i know.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....