Thread: RS6 in Top Gear Magazine

RS6 in Top Gear Magazine

"The RS6 is so powerful and has such a vast canyon of torque - it's practically a geological phenomenon!"

That's the first positive review of the new Beast I've read.

Almost makes me want one.

Nah, it's still too heavy and expensive.

It is starting to grow on me though.

If they knock 150 Kgs out of the Plus and push it over 600, then hmmmm...

Well, got my test drive in the new Beast from the dealer just the other day - I too am more impressed than I expected. For the first 15min or so it felt too soft compared to my RS4 and even the RS6 Plus MkI I drove a couple of years ago if my memory serves me right - steering is too light and the car feels a bit numb and civilised overall as many have said.

But the more I drove it and moving to B roads, I was surprised how good the car felt for something that heavy - in dynamic mode, a good ride and surprising resistance to understeer and the engine and gearbox are just great for rapid cross-country progress. The only downside is that even fairly high speeds do not feel as engaging as in my RS4 - but I reckon the new RS6 is actually faster even on most winding roads than my RS4 against the clock. The shove is there, but the speedo reading is even more surprising - you simply go faster than it feels. Anyway, a much better car in my books than I expected and most lukewarm reviews suggest. Still, will not trade my RS4 for it - RS5 for me, please (and - Audi pay attention - with the DRC fragility fixed really for good this time!)

the things that impressed me with the car are the transmission and engine initially, but after pushing the car the low-speed ride and compusture under brakes and on corner exit in bumpy conditions. this is a very serious, very quick car. and much faster than our chariots....
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi