Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi R8 GT3 Racer 500 hp.

There needs to be a road version.

One of the official press releases says 4.2L NA V8.

But before we all get too excited about this could mean for the RS5 street car, it is for reference worth remembering that the Porsche 997 GT3 engine (415PS/3.8L) - hardly an underdeveloped engine for street use - is more or less based on the 997 GT3 RSR racer (485PS/3.8L) with a higher rev limit, completely different regulations and obviously lower durability. If Lambo LP-560 makes 560PS from 5.2L NA, the likely thing is that RS5 4.2 NA makes 450PS with same specific output - as indeed the circulated material suggests. Maybe 470PS is indeed for testing the RS5 and its durability rather than final spec.

Great news, i really like when Audi surprises me with models i've never imagined.
    Ohh, and it's likely that it will be made in Hungary, where i live. Such a great day
    5 Audis so far...currently:
    2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI Multitronic

Ha, in all this excitement about this new R8 and its engine I managed to even confuse myself on the finer details!

1. It was Autocar which claimed that engine is modified 4.2 V8 NA - not Audi.

2. GT3 road car is of course still based on lower bore 3.6L, so its specific output is of course 115PS/L - but the specific output gap to the very strung RSR racer (128PS/L) is still huge, which was the point.

Even if this track GT3 R8 makes 120PS/L, it does not imply that much for the road car I think. In all, 470PS from 4.2 NA in a RS5 (113PS/L) would thus still be quite an achievement and embarras in-house Lambo as well as R8 road car on specific output. So will it happen then? Dunno.

Anways, back on topic, this R8 racer should surely be the fastest track car Audi makes and eclipse even with RWD the forthcoming R8 V10.

Amazing Grace! A rear-wheel drive Audi! The planets have aligned perfectly!
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

LMAO at you guys flipping about RWD vs AWD. what do you think the R10's at le mans are AWD
    http://strassenversion.net

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    There needs to be a road version.
    IT certainly looks like you could fit license plates on that car
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

silly that the press release makes no mention of the freaking engine. it does have the wider sideblades. i think it could very well be a V10. but i think it would make more than 500 hp if that were the case. then again, the wider sideblade could be needed on the higher rev 4.2 V8......
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10