Yessss - Audi R8 GT3 is comming

Audi is bringing a GT3 race version of the R8 in 2009

500 HP
    Rear wheel drive
    new 6 gear sequential gearbox
    1st deliveries in autumn 2009

Source
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/s...5015_13987.hbs

Last edited by roadrunner; August 27th, 2008 at 11:43.
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Audi is bringing a GT3 race version of the R8 in 2009

500 HP
    Rear wheel drive
    new 6 gear sequential gearbox
    1st deliveries in autumn 2009
    It's a sick car, I'll give you that. But I don't like the spoiler (it spoils it so it's a spoiler) and rear wheel drive for the R8? You're sure about that?

Afterall it's a raceversion.

MB
    What is an Audi without quattro?

I don't think quattro is permitted any more in most forms of motorsport, so if this is indeed for real then I expect it will be RWD like the DTM A4s and the Lamborghinis used in endurance racing.
    2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Quote Originally Posted by Mockenrue View Post
    I don't think quattro is permitted any more in most forms of motorsport, so if this is indeed for real then I expect it will be RWD like the DTM A4s and the Lamborghinis used in endurance racing.
    They don't allow quattro because of the past. Never seen this video of the 80's where they disallow quattro because it's an unfair advantage. The video is called: An unfair advantage I think

I did not know that the A4 DTM's were RWD. I'm not a huge motorsport fan but I think it's a shame. Audi invents something and because they would never be beaten the have to race with something the don't have any experience with: RWD...

Or am I completely off couse?

Here is an article of the R8 GT3 on the Top Gear site:
    http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/3171/

MB
    What is an Audi without quattro?

It is the real deal (numerous sources + the pics) and as Mockenrue mentioned - after the dominance of quattro in the Touring car championships with the 1st A4 quattro (90' winning numerous titles all over the world in one year) - all wheel drive was forbidden in most (all?) of the round track series
    blog.audidriven.net

Somehow I doubt Porsche will allow that name

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    screw the name
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by Michaël Barbé View Post
    I did not know that the A4 DTM's were RWD. I'm not a huge motorsport fan but I think it's a shame. Audi invents something and because they would never be beaten the have to race with something the don't have any experience with: RWD...

Or am I completely off couse?

No, you are correct (as is roadrunner). I remember watching Frank Biela's dominance of the 1996 BTCC in the A4 quattro. It was immensely satisfying to watch, especially in the wet when the BMWs often went spinning off the circuit backwards. The following year the organisers imposed severe weight penalties on the Audi but Biela still managed to finish runner up in the championship. Unless I'm mistaken, quattro hasn't been used in BTCC, WTCC or DTM since.

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    I suspect the 'GT3' denotes the name of the FIA class in which the car will be competing, rather than the model designation itself.
    2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Audi R8 GT3 Racer 500 hp.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mockenrue View Post
    I suspect the 'GT3' denotes the name of the FIA class in which the car will be competing, rather than the model designation itself.
    You suspect correctly... That is exactly what it means! To be more specific the car is matching the restrictions of the FIA GT3 class.

Does anyone know how to contact AudiSport to buy the car or to race with them as client??? please PM!

You just beat me to posting it. Amazing that Audi actually will make this car happen. I look forward to see it against the 430 and gt3.

saludos!

Audi Develops Race Version of the R8.
    27 Augustus 2008.

Ingolstadt – For the first time, Audi Sport will offer a racing sports car specifically developed for customer use in the form of the powerful 500 hp plus GT3 version of the Audi R8 which will be available from autumn 2009. The logistics and factory space required for the AUDI AG customer programme will be created over the next few months in Ingolstadt, Neckarsulm and Györ.

"The R8 is the first production Audi bearing the name and genes of a successful racing sportscar and is therefore an excellent base from which to build up our first big customer sport programme,” explains Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "Ever since the R8 was unveiled we’ve been inundated with enquiries about a race version. With the Audi R8 we will offer customers a racing sportscar equipped with high-calibre technology and the typical Audi qualities, but which is nevertheless easy to handle.”

The Audi R8 conforms to the production-based GT3 regulations allowing the car to be fielded in numerous national and international race series.

Because the GT3 regulations prohibit the use of four-wheel drive the Audi R8 comes with the typical GT rear-wheel drive. The power is transmitted via a newly developed six-speed sequential sports gearbox. The suspension uses almost exclusively components from the production line. A comprehensive list of safety equipment guarantees the highest-level of passive safety. A modified front end and a large rear-wing generate the required downforce for the race track.
    The Audi R8, which bears the project name "R16” within Audi Sport, was developed under the direction of Audi Sport. Mid August, the first prototype successfully completed a roll-out in the hands of Audi factory driver Frank Biela.

The first test races in various European racing series are scheduled for the 2009 season. Delivery to the customers is planned from the autumn of this coming year.

The customer cars are manufactured together by Audi Sport and the quattro GmbH, which is also responsible for production of the Audi R8 street version, and Audi Hungaria Motor Kft. (Györ).

Source: Audi Sport.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

This is too awesome, exactly what I want to see on the track!!!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Amazing. Notice the front/rear intakes and the bigger side-blade intakes? They are just like the R8 V10
    HKS786

so obviously this shows that the RS4 engine is capable of 500 hp- i assume it is the same engine but revised. if so, it could very well point to the new RS4/5 engine as being a 480 hp version.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Threads merged.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    so obviously this shows that the RS4 engine is capable of 500 hp- i assume it is the same engine but revised. if so, it could very well point to the new RS4/5 engine as being a 480 hp version.
    Very good point. Obviously reliability and warranty implications come into consideration but I would def think the engine could safely produce around the 470bhp mark.
    HKS786

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    Where did it say it was the 4.2?