Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Electronic Upgrade Questions - 03 RS6

Mech Some Electronic Upgrade Questions - 03 RS6

First off, I have searched - spent the last hour on this, Audi Forums and Audizine looking for the info, but alas, I've come up empty (probably because I'm a search retard)

A) How hard is it to upgrade the regular light controls so that I have an automatic setting? I'm assuming it's a switch, probably a wire harness and a light sensor of some sort?

Does anyone have any experience w/this?

2) How about the three blink turn signals? It's one thing that the R8 and that pain in the ass Cayenne Turbo I had that I really would like to adapt to the RS6.

Is it something that's adaptable from a newer model to the 03 RS6?

III) Does anyone know where I can come across a full electrical diagram of the car? - Hell, I'll take a full service manual setup if it's available.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

Well, unfortunately, the only bit that I can be of help is on the third question. While there is no dedicated service manual available, a lot of people look towards the Bentley service manual as a bible, and that's available here: http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=BCD

If somebody does figure out the blinker thing please please post...that i would love to have too.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

I need to go to Audi and play 20 questions w/a couple of techs and the parts mangler - they've treated me exceptionally well and thus far have been great in answering questions and helping me out.

Anything that I do will be fully documented and put on my web site.

When I get around to doing the RSN-E install, suspension mods, exhaust and chip mods and anything else, I'll do a step by step so anyone else that decides to give the work a try will have another source for help.

Here's an example of the way I go about doing a tech article: R8 Carbon Fiber Upgrade

Hey Duck - thanks for the link. I was able to find an Audi specific disc!
    Last edited by KfabR8; August 22nd, 2008 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    If somebody does figure out the blinker thing please please post...that i would love to have too.
    i'm working on that in my spare time now. i want to have a piece of electronics that will install inside the blinker module. i'm at the "breadboard" stage currently. if it works out correctly, i might pass it to my brother who runs an electronics business to get it to a commercial stage.

there is a german company selling a unit which requires grafting to the blinker wiring harness. search on "komfortblinker" and google is your friend.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Bump on this thread.

Can anyone tell me what year Audi started putting the three blink bump into the system?

I want to look into the wire diagrams between the 03 and the first year that it was part of the system and see if there's some way to adapt the newer stuff to the older car.

Same for the automatic headlights - what year did this option become available?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KfabR8 View Post
    Bump on this thread.

Can anyone tell me what year Audi started putting the three blink bump into the system?

I want to look into the wire diagrams between the 03 and the first year that it was part of the system and see if there's some way to adapt the newer stuff to the older car.

Same for the automatic headlights - what year did this option become available?

Thanks
    stop being lazy old man and turn the switch yourself.....:cool2:

JK
    ***Big Drew***

Re:Vision Auto Salon
    Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Remember to pray to the car gods daily

But I don't wanna!

My 's spoiled me!

What are blinkers????

Quote Originally Posted by KfabR8 View Post
    But I don't wanna!

My 's spoiled me!
    I hear ya....LOL
    ***Big Drew***

Re:Vision Auto Salon
    Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Remember to pray to the car gods daily

working on it!

it was never offered for the c5, and so you need to adapt the existing circuit. which is on a circuit board inside the emergency flasher unit. i've developed a circuit which works, (additional to the standard circuit) but have to go through final testing in my car. provided that is ok, then i need to get the final design (not breadboard) just a bit busy on other things at present.

there appears to be a retro-fit for the passat (search etka for komfort iirc), but @$180 i'd rather have a winter project...
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

I saw in an earlier post that you were working on it. Thanks for the second response.

I'm happy to sit back and wait until you get it going and then either copy what you've done (best form of flattery, right? ) or get one from you if you're willing to sell one.

Please keep me posted on this.

Side note to this: I contacted someone out of Germany that sells the Komfortblinker but who knows if I'll get a response. Everything on the site was in German, so them getting an e-mail from the US in English may not be something that they want to deal with. I had to use a translator just to figure out what was going on. - probably should have used the translator to send the message, now that I think about it.

did this ever end up being developed? i'd love to have one of these for my car... the komfort blinker that is

Someone did this on Audi or Quattro world.

There is a module you buy from Audi that is around $30-$40 and its pretty much plug and play.

Didn't want to see anyone hurt themselves on this thread with bread boards lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    did this ever end up being developed? i'd love to have one of these for my car... the komfort blinker that is
    Why yes...all you need to know is here. Parts exist already and one installed and working...write up on it here...http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=22496272

Doing my install i hope next weekend actually as i have the relay just haven't had time to pick up the relay harness yet.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

awesome thanks guys

PS...I got my blinker relay (same part number that is in the install link) for around $50 through Europrice.us FYI.

Komfortblinker install

I know this is an older thread, but I never let the ideas die. I still need to install the RNS-E system, as it's original installation attempt ended up being a major fiasco. (more on that later....)

Anyhow, I just did the install of my Komfortblinker. It's quite simple and pretty easy.

I now have a three blink signal for left and right at the touch of the stalk. Works like it's a factory setup.

I followed the link above (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=22496272) and then modified it a tad to make the install a little bit easier.

Head down to your local VW dealer and order part number 000-998-229-A "Retrokit". Retail price is US$56.59. Audi parts can access the number, but only VW can order it (at least that was my discovery).

It comes with the Komfortblinker module, a wire harness (with two plugs and a pigtail with open female spade leads) and some (useless) instructions.

The instructions in the link above work well, but I modified them a touch, so I didn't have to find power and ground at a different location in the car. All you need is right there at the plug that you pull loose after you remove the top cover of the steering column.

I cut the harness for the blinker module plug off about 5" away from the (large) plug that has the two sets of wires coming out of it. This left me with about 8" of wire coming out of the Komfortblinker module's plug.

I stripped about 5mm off the ends and then soldered and electrical taped the connections directly to the wires coming out of the large plug in the steering column. (For the record, I hate electrical tape, but I wasn't able to get the pins out of the large plug to allow me to use heat shrink. Need a different pin removal tool. Damn.)

I used a hobby knife to remove a small piece of insulation (about 5mm) off of each of the wires, being very careful not to cut any of the strands of copper wire in as I removed the insulation.

The instructions in the link above for wiring are as follows:
    Relay tab # 2 = left blinker signal(black/white wire pin 3)
    Relay tab # 5 = right turn signal(black/green wire pin 11)
    Relay tab # 8 = Blinker (black/white/green pin 5)

Run the remaining 2 wires under the steering column and above your pedals where you can find a good location for GROUND and 12V ignition power.
    Relay tab # 6 = ignition power (I attached it to the 75X in the picture below)
    Relay tab # 4 = Ground

Here's where to connect the wires as you do the install.

The first pin listed in each line is on the Komfortblinker module, the second pin listed is on the harness plug that is in the steering column:

Pin #2 (white) goes to pin #3 (black/white) of the main plug (left blinker signal wire)
    Pin #4 (brown) goes to pin #12 (dual white wires) of the main plug (ground)
    Pin #5 (green) goes to pin #11 (black/green) of the main plug (right blinker signal wire)
    Pin #6 (black/white) goes to pin #1 or #2 (red) of the main plug (+12v)
    Pin #8 (white/green) goes to pin #5 (black/white/green) of the main plug (blinker wire)

You can see that the only difference between my install and the one in the link is that I kept wires #6 (black/white, +12v) and #4 (brown, ground) up in the steering column instead of chasing down under the dash and to another power/ground location.

This keeps everything on the same fuse as the OEM blinker setup so if there's an issue, you won't end up with poofkaboom and possibly a small electrical fire.

What's cool about this setup is that it's a piggy-back type system. It should work with any blinker setup provided you can figure out the left, right and blink lines out of the vehicle's wire harness.

A buddy of mine and I will be attempting to install the Komfortblinker setup in his Porsche 993. I'll let everyone know how that works when we get it done.

Next mods on the RS6 will be the installation of the RSN-E system, a Blinder X-treme M-40 laser jammer (the one in my R8 seems to work well) - may consider a Laser Star if I can get one in the States, and then a Revo setup.

If I can figure out how to put automatic headlight controls in, I'll do that too - anyone else attempted it or know anything about it?

That should be fun!