Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RS5 front bumper revealed

The CAR photoshops look much better though im hoping for a more aggressive appearance.
    Truth In The Blacklist

I wonder if the rollcage and bucket seats will make it into production!
    2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Audi Testing the RS5 click on the picture for more pictures

http://nieuws.auto.nl.msn.com/msn/ms...che=no&ID=9931

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    +1 the bomper in these spyshots doesnt mesh well with the rest of the car.
    +2. Like Hulk's mouth on Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Another testmule.....perhaps S5 Evo though i think the Evo in itself is a testmule and not a production candidate.

I hate that front bumper on the 5. (though it looks good on the TT/S/R)
    How's about this being the new S5 with 3.0 T V6?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev.S View Post
    They wouldn't have required to place a different front bumper if that had been the case. All this would have done is draw attention to something which Audi would want to conduct in private.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev.S View Post
    I have info that say this is a facelift S5 testmule with new 3.0TFSI supercharged engine, new 7-speed S-Tronic and TVQ.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    I have info that say this is a facelift S5 testmule with new 3.0TFSI supercharged engine, new 7-speed S-Tronic and TVQ.

Jarod.
    I dont think it is Hans. The front bumper is nealy identical to the TT-R front bumper. It looks far too aggressive for an S model and has all the characteristics of an RS model. Honeycomb grille, large intakes with honeycomb mesh, etc.

Also, the S5 and S4 look pretty similar in terms of design. Why would Audi facelift the S5 to make it look extra aggressive?
    HKS786

Quote Originally Posted by HKS786 View Post
    I dont think it is Hans. The front bumper is nealy identical to the TT-R front bumper. It looks far too aggressive for an S model and has all the characteristics of an RS model. Honeycomb grille, large intakes with honeycomb mesh, etc.

Also, the S5 and S4 look pretty similar in terms of design. Why would Audi facelift the S5 to make it look extra aggressive?
    Some say the car sound different then a S5.
    If this is a RS5 testmule it would not have a V8 based on the supposed sound it make.

Jarod.

Some say the car sound different then a S5.
    If this is a RS5 testmule it would not have a V8 based on the supposed sound it make.

Jarod.
    Is there any video footage available to hear this unique sound. Also has anyone heard the sound of the new 4.0SC engine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Is there any video footage available to hear this unique sound. Also has anyone heard the sound of the new 4.0SC engine yet.
    Is this just a typo mate or is there a 4.0 version?
    HKS786

Is this just a typo mate or is there a 4.0 version?
    Al charged V6, V8 and V10 engines are 200cc smaller then the N/A ones.

Jarod.

Al charged V6, V8 and V10 engines are 200cc smaller then the N/A ones.

Jarod.
    Thats right, but what 4.0 TFSi engine is there Hans? The S4 has a 3.0 version, but I wasnt aware of a 4.0.
    HKS786

Thats right, but what 4.0 TFSi engine is there Hans? The S4 has a 3.0 version, but I wasnt aware of a 4.0.
    There is a new 4.0TFSI V8 engine with ± 395 hp in development for the next gen A8.
    A tuned version of that engine can deliver 444 hp.

Jarod.

There is a new 4.0TFSI V8 engine with ± 395 hp in development for the next gen A8.
    A tuned version of that engine can deliver 444 hp.

Jarod.
    BINGO!!!!!

My thinking is that the 3.0SC sounds totally different to either a N/A 3.2v6 currently used and reckon that if this is a S5 mule testing a possible RS5 engine replacement it could be the new 4.0SC which also might sound totally different to the S5/RS4's 4.2N/A or even the old 4.2Bi-turbo from the RS6.

It's still the choice that I am betting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    BINGO!!!!!

My thinking is that the 3.0SC sounds totally different to either a N/A 3.2v6 currently used and reckon that if this is a S5 mule testing a possible RS5 engine replacement it could be the new 4.0SC which also might sound totally different to the S5/RS4's 4.2N/A or even the old 4.2Bi-turbo from the RS6.

It's still the choice that I am betting on.
    Leadie,

It aint a bad guess either. I did think of it. Audi detuned the 3.0TFSi for the A6 producing 290bhp. Using calculations of the S4's new engine a 4.0TFSi would push out 444bhp just like Hans said. It would give great torque figures too and I'm guessing it would be just as economic. Dont forget the new S4 is 29% more economical than what it replaced

I still hear of other engines for the RS5 from my source, who knows? Maybe Audi are testing more than 1.
    HKS786

taking into consideration hp competition with c63 & m3, hp should be
    Higher than 450.

Don't forget that RS5 is AWD, and it needs app.10% more hp to compete with RWD rivals. Also Audi positions A5 as smth between 3series and 6series so don't forget about 500 hp m6 to compete with.

Summing it up, my conclusion is that RS5 should have 450-500 hp under the bonnet.
    It could be only 3 types of engines:
    - derived 4,0 v8 from RS6 with about 470-480 hp
    - derived 4,2 v8 from new v10 R8 / modernized from RS4 B7 with about 450-460 hp
    - a v8 version of newly developed 3,0 v6 in S4 with about 444 hp

We know for sure from Audi production plans that new A8 will have the 3rd engine option with 395 hp, but this engine seems to be too civic for RS5 engine philosophy.
    The question is what way Audi will go - more expensive one with derived RS6 engine or more cheap one with derived R8 v10 / modernized R
    S4 B7 engine.
    The weight factor is also important so 2nd opition is lighter than 1st one.
    Adding the info from Audi production plans about RS5 with 2nd engine option, this is my bet.

It seems logical, economically effective and weight winning option.
    So - v8 4,2 FSI with 450-460 hp and paired with 7sp-S-Tronic it will do miracles on the roads and track.
    I expect the following figures:
    0-100 - 4,4 sec
    0-200 - 13,5 -14,5 sec
    1/4 mile - 118 mph @ low-to-mid 12's

And pls dont forget that it must have to be quicker than c63, m3 and 911 c4s which could achieve 0-200 in 14,5-15 sec.

I also hope the weight to be not higher than S5 and weight distribution even little better.

So I will be glad to hear motivated and deep opinions on the subject.

artur777,

I see flaws in your thinking, especially around the 2rd option.

For a start the new 5.2L engine in the R8 will only produce just over the magical 100hp/L as did the old RS4 version. Audi are hardly going to increase this as more power will require even more revs and ultimately an even economical engine.

Option 1 would work for both the output required and go along way to reaching the require CO2 and economical figures but as you pointed out it will be the heaviest of all three options. It suited the RS6's character but having such a heavy lump of an engine in the RS5 will dull it's handling and be near enough impossible to reach anything like their desired 50/50 weight dis.

The only option in my eyes that delivers on all the above is the 4.0SC engine. The power and torque are available, even if their stick to the percentage improvements that the 3.0SC engine is showing between the A6 and S4, but this is an RS version so chances are it could produce more than the 444hp suggested if require. The weight should be close to that of the N/A engine as the SC doesn't have the same weight issues that come with twin turbos and we have already seen how economical the S4 engine is compared to it's rival S5 engine so we can expect the 4.0L version to be equally as big an improvement to similarly output engines of larger capacities.

It's the logical choice.

The only thing I am a little concerned with is the sound, after hearding the S4 it's weedy at best and no a patch of the throb of the V8 in the S5. The RS5 will need everybit as an aggressive note to match it's aggressive looks.
    Last edited by Leadfoot; October 9th, 2008 at 20:57.