Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Gen A8.

RXBG,

While I am sure that much of what you say holds true for the USA, the same has never been true in Europe, with the 3.0 litre diesel engine in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, for example, making it this model's best selling engine. Moreover, given an increasing environmental consciousness in Europe, we are seeing car manufacturers reduce the capacities of all engines in all classes. I note that the latest Lexus RX is only available as a hybrid in the UK and the next AMG generation of fast Mercedes saloons is returning to turbocharged 5.5 litre V8s.

Secondly, Audi's brand defining market is Europe not the USA, where sales are still some way behind other imported luxury brands. That means it will be driven by what customers demand here. The joker in the pack, of course, is the burgeoning demand in Eastern Europe, where oligarchs don't give a s**t about the environment and will take anything luxury manufacturer throws at them so long as it packs a V-12 or V-10 with 500 bhp plus. With China and the Former-Soviet Union growing faster than other markets what Brits, Germans, and Frenchman want may no longer be relevant. in which case, new money will drive such cars but only until they see that old money has invested elsewhere. When you alienate your core market, it can be a form of commercial suicide, although i don't think Audi is yet at that point!!!!

I am trying to look behind the launch of the A8 to see what strategy is emerging and on the engine side of the equation it doesn't make sense. Or, rather it does, if you count Porsche. I think Audi has been told to be careful about undermining Porsche's recently launched, butt-ugly Panamera. This is getting V6 engines next year too. So we get not much more than an incremental advance in economy and power. I wanted Audi to leap forward not crawl.

I don't know if Audi is being hamstrung by Porsche, but if it is, then this is exactly what a lot of us on RS6.com said would happen if the merger went ahead.

I suspect that the S8 may well include the much anticipated 4.0 litre TFSI engine, whatever V-10s have been a dead end since Formula 1 discarded them several seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    this car is a large car that portends prestige. the 3.0T doesn't fill that requirement. a V8 does. in the market the A8 competes the buyer will not "buy" a 3.0T V6. acura tried this with the RL for two generations and it never worked. in the S8 i CAN see a V8T rather than a V10 as filling the "S"8 requirement without having to put in a 10 or 12 cylinder engine in that car. i have the feeling that the V8T will be introduced in 2010 in the S8 application- probably over the summer.

note that the rear end of the new A8 excludes displacement information. it only says FSI quattro. i suspect audi plans to change the 4.2 into a 4.5 FSI with valvelift as the new entry engine for this car sooner than we expect- with somethin in the range of 400 hp and 380 of torque.
    I've always liked the way Audi put the badge of engine volume, which was honestly saying "4.2" for example... Unlike Merc with 5.5 s500 or BMW with 4.4T 750i.
    Don't know why they stopped doing that, maybe it's temporarily, while there are few engines?...

Speaking 'bout former soviet union tailpipe is quite right, CO2 emissions for example don't mean anything for our people (that's a good point from my view), but our audi buyers are not like Arabian sheikhs, they won't all stand in a queue for the top version. 80-90 % of sales will be after 4.2FSI, also a bit of powerful diesels and top versions, but for sure noone will buy a V6 A8

guys - say what you want ...

but i think this A8 is a masterpiece of engineering
    especially the "small things" that you don't see on the first look...

all the little system that are integrated into this car just great...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    i think this A8 is a masterpiece of engineering
    Of engineering, yes. Of styling, NO.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

The interior is amazing and looking at better high quality photos the exterior is growing on me.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011...iami-1/full/#2

makes the A8 look a lot better than the first photos taken with poor lighting, Audi's fault for allowing different blogs to take pictures of the car in poor lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    The interior is amazing and looking at better high quality photos the exterior is growing on me.
    I said it before, the interior is just awesome, love it.

I think I come off as bagging on the new A8 but really I am just underwelmed.

We bag on Bangle stuff so much around here and now I am seeing how much influence it has had on other brands, including my favorite.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post
    S8 V8 in that case i would choose the W12.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

I'm just greatly disappointed with this whole thing.
    All these promises and high expectations and the final result is a bland looking car,not unattractive but just average.
    The interior is fabulous but so is the Panamera's and that is not enough,a chance to blow the competition out of the water is also blown if the rumors of the performance engines like W12 and S8 are true.
    Not the worst but definitely not the best either.
    I've been waiting for a REAL king of the road S8 for a long time now,seems I am not getting one.
    S63TT

Quote Originally Posted by absent View Post
    All these promises and high expectations and the final result is a bland looking car,not unattractive but just average.
    The interior is fabulous but so is the Panamera's and that is not enough,a chance to blow the competition out of the water is also blown if the rumors of the performance engines like W12 and S8 are true.
    I've been waiting for a REAL king of the road S8 for a long time now,seems I am not getting one.
    +1

I like the brand, loved the perpetually understated design but there was so much hype that i ended up with higher hopes for this launch, now there is talk of the S8 design being the bee's knees. I refuse to buy into the hype again

I loved the sleek D3 design, a real pleasure and contrast to the bulkiness of E65/W221, and until i see the D4 in the flesh i fear they went the BMW/MB way trying a design that is too grand, too pretentious. I liked the way of the "outcast" ...

It seems to me Audi is holding its punches as far as the engine department is concerned. The pessimist in me fears the VAG brand agglomeration, the optimist hopes for a soon to be announced joint development program for V6, V8 and TT V8 between Porsche, Audi and to a degree VW. The R8 is a gorgeous halo car that put Audi on the map for many emerging markets (maybe the US too) and possible clients why not do the same with the A8 ?

Audi has great advantages in the luxury sedan market: lightest car, best in class interior why not go all out and outdo BMW in the driving dynamics/engine area and MB in the technology powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by absent View Post
    funny...I saw a couple of Panameras on Canadian roads today...and I must say its not that bad...its just the side view thats like a hertz with a really round butt...but interior wise i think it even holds its own to the audi....I mean the D3 had gorgeous pod gauges, and imho a sleeker pop up screen etc. I also prefered all the buttons near the gear lever...it was almost reminiscent of a jet fighter.....let's see what the S8 brings to the table. If theres still no double clutch...I think a used panamera turbo would be the deal of the century.

Some gadgets...

Heated, cooled, and massaging seats
    Standard 12-way adjustable seats or optional 22-way adjustable optional seats
    Vibration-canceling motor in the steering wheel
    Interior LED ambient lighting system
    Four climate zones

Entertainment system
    Standard 14 speaker Bose system or optional 1,400 Watt, 19 speaker Bang & Olufsen system
    Google maps-enabled GPS system with handwriting input mode
    8-inch LCD info screen
    20GB hard drive
    WiFi, USB, and AUX-inputs
    Dual 10.2-inch rear seat displays with its own DVD player, 20GB hard drive, and controls
    WLAN via UMTS that turns the car into a mobile HotSpot

Safety equipment
    Night vision
    R8-style LED headlights
    Adaptive cruise control
    Radar that detect collisions that automatically tight seat belts and adjusts seats
    Speed limit camera that actually reads roadside signs and displays them as graphics on the dash

Source: http://www.germancarblog.com/2009/12...epartment.html

It is very interesting to compare the new Audi A8 to the Porsche Panamera. Given the choice, which one would you take?

It isn't just a matter of performance, but the whole ownership experience. In my mind, the Audi looks as if it'll undercut the Porsche by such a large margin that the choice between the two is a no-brainer - in favour of the A8.

the A8 is pure elegance. it knows what it is- a sedan. the panamera is....well...just trying too hard. A8 any day. the interior is just phenomenal.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

more options and more understatement in A8.panamera is for asian-markets,this is the target of porsche

I like new A8
    I think new S8 will be a nice - very nice car

If it has even 520-520 hp, it will be very-very fast