Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First car for teenager

First car for teenager

A friend of mine will be getting his teenage daughter her first car. He wants to go used (which I think is smart). He agrees that something too powerfull for a first car is a bad idea, however, he hardly wants her to drive a turd bucket.

The B5 S4 (completely stock) came up. With 250hp, it is plenty powerfull, but not something totally unrealistic (powerwise) for a new driver. I wanted to get some opinions... Doable? Too much power? Just right?

And yes, his daughter is pretty competent and also wants to do Audi track events with it.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Just quickly... Too much power. Far too much power. Im young... and if my first car was an s4 I would be absoltely over the moon. and most probably in a ditch or through a picket fence... For me the idea of having a first car is getting to learn about it... learn how cars drive and differ from each other. It would seem that money is no problem... but Im pretty sure that buying a 250BHP car for someones first car carries with it far more problems that can potentially cause a lot more trouble. just my 2c
    2008 RS6 Avant in White, W/ Manual Tranny, Carbon Ceramics, Magnetic Ride, CarbonTrim, and Sunroof. lol, yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydmeister View Post
    just my 2c
    I read you. We also realize a 1.8T would be a better choice. But we are still talking @ 200hp...

Also, keep in mind we are biased as my first car was a V8 Z28 Camaro and his was a 60's GTO.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Find a nice 1.8T or a 2.830v would be a great car for her. My 1st car was 1986 Monte Carlo SS w/ 350cid

B5 S4. absolutely not. and she needs to drive for a while before going to any kind track even with an instructor. you risk too many head games otherwise.

hp is actually not the issue. the issue is the kind of car. a teenager around other teenagers in an audi S4 even if it is 8 years old--- speaks for itself.

i'd recommend a 3-4 yr old honda accord 4 cyl. it'll stand up to abuse, negligence of care, won't leave her stranded, handles well (better than a camry), economical, easy to insure, easy to repair, not too boring or staid, and is... above all humble.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

IMHO, anything more than 100-130HP is too much for a junior driver. There are several of us, including me, that started with WAY too much power: read as V8 anything. An older 1.8T might be a good choice as it is smart on gas and reasonable on power AND it is in the Audi family.

What about a smart car? Then when she gets competent with that, jam a Hayabusa motor in it ....

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    The B5 S4 (completely stock) came up. With 250hp, it is plenty powerfull, but not something totally unrealistic (powerwise) for a new driver.
    I love the States.

Diesel Golf/Bora 1.9 TDi 130. She should be more than happy with that.

Mmmm....does she have any experience driving? I mean..inside a track? karting perhaps? if so, then go for it....otherwise a 2.5 rabbit with some tweaks might do just the trick, I'm not quite familiar with the US entry level performance vehicles so sorry for not mentioning any other options

Saludos

The funny thing is that Ben916 and 96a4 are saying no way... yet each had a V8 for their first car. You got to love irony.

RXBG & Z07, what was your first car?

For what it is worth, she is plenty happy with the 1.8T. We "adults" are leaning S4...

Ben

**EDIT** BTW, yes Javier, she has a little karting experience.
    Last edited by Benman; August 14th, 2008 at 00:08.
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JavierNuvolari View Post
    otherwise a 2.5 rabbit

Saludos
    She'd prefer used over new. A 00' 1.8T would make more sense than the Golf.

As for the Smart, I don't find them "smart". They get the same fuel economy as a used 1.8T, and would probably fair far worse in a heavy frontal hit...

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

I think a used B6 A4 would be good
    That what my sister and I got for a first car.
    It's a 1.8T with 170hp.
    It handles pretty well and is reliable.
    And now you could get a killer deal for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Audifan92 View Post
    And now you could get a killer deal for a used one.
    Yes, but a 00' 1.8T you can get for sub $6k.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

She'd prefer used over new. A 00' 1.8T would make more sense than the Golf.

As for the Smart, I don't find them "smart". They get the same fuel economy as a used 1.8T, and would probably fair far worse in a heavy frontal hit...

Ben

Agreed on the Golf 1.8T...you do know that..."the 1.8T can nevah loose" lol.

Good luck with the desition.

Saludos

Golf or some ''ordinary'' A4 is what is best IMHO...

How about a Audi A3 2.0T or the 1.8 with a s-line pack pretty nippy
    but not too powerful for a first timer...??

The funny thing is that Ben916 and 96a4 are saying no way... yet each had a V8 for their first car. You got to love irony.

RXBG & Z07, what was your first car?

For what it is worth, she is plenty happy with the 1.8T. We "adults" are leaning S4...

Ben

**EDIT** BTW, yes Javier, she has a little karting experience.
    a 1987 honda civic dx coupe with 70 hp i shared with my sister. it was so light i was able to rock it out of a snowdrift once. i was 16. my next car was an accord- when i was in college- a 1987 accord btw- 92 hp. and i thought it was da bomb because it felt so much more powerful. had you told me i'd be driving a 225 hp car less than 10 yrs later and the a 425 hp car a few years after that i would have thought you were nuts. all of my cars have been manuals. and i loved my civic- even though it wasn't even mine, but a family car.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

LoL. I canīt believe what im reading here.
    An S4 for an all new driver? Cīmon. Are you serious? I mean ok if you got plenty of money for repairs and stuff go for it. (Dents etc included) Not to mention to tread that engine right (cold driving and carefully warm driving at low revs etc)

If i where in that girls position i would loose the feeling for value totally. "Ah ok it is an audi with an S4 badge on it. Donīt know what it means but it drives pretty quick"

My first car was an 90 ps / 20 year old golf. I could learn driving and didnīt have to worry to get a dent in my car as there were already plenty.

I just donīt see any reason why it should be a turbo engine as a first car.
    Besides my parents gave me my first car so i didnīt even care what it was. I was just happy to have a car at all.

Give her the A3 2.0...