Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparison

Comparison

I currently drive a CLK63 Black Series. I love the car, as it is a thrill to drive. Good power, tons of torque (although it cant put it to the ground), and the car takes the turns great (and is fun to slide). I have a R8 on order and was curious if anyone has driven a Black Series and could compare the R8 to the Black Series. Thoughts?

OK...I see many have looked, but no answer. How about a comparison to an F430? Body roll?

Its softer than a 997 S/4S in normal mode over bumps, etc., yet has less body roll in the twisties. Stiff, yet refined. The 911 in sport mode (PASM of course) has less body roll however (you can feel every bump though).
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

[quote=jengleco;135417]OK...I see many have looked, but no answer. How about a comparison to an F430? Body roll?

Well I tested both cars R8 and F430, the F430 is one if the best cars to drive but in my opinion the R8 is more fun. The Ferrari is faster but you don't feel it while the R8 you feel its faster, well it could beat F430 from 0-150 km/h.

I would say the R8 is better and more fun but i still respect the F430 its more special.

Nothing to share sadly - but please please post some pics of the Merc!
    " I Am A Driving God! "

I posted my impressions over at Audi World...

Check it out

http://forums.audiworld.com/r8/msgs/11353.phtml (pics)

http://forums.audiworld.com/r8/msgs/11372.phtml (summary)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0079.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	6744  

Yeeeyy :]

No more space for some text

I do hope that MTM's RS6 carbon diffusor looks half as cool as the Mercs

Here is pics of my car
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1526.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	6750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1527.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	6751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1528.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	6752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1529.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	6753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1530.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	6754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1531.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	6755  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1532.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	6756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1533.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	6757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1534.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	6758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1535.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	6759  

The audi-world write up gives a small idea of your thoughts, but in detail...but, would you pick a Black Series over an R8 or vice-versa and why?

R8 is certanly much more 'eye catcher'' and it is much younger. R8 is more refined car, and, not that important thing, but I will say that to, it is a car of the moment... You want regret saying that you had R8 when it was all fresh... New CLK is one year away, new CLK xx AMG more than that and new CLK BS even more...

My recommendation, go for R8 or wait for R8 V10!

jengle. a car decision like yours is one made on a very individual basis. you couldn't possibly hope to assimilate another's opinion about which to buy. if you are not sure you should just keep the merc. there are plenty of people who love the R8 and want one so badly that they don't question their decision. you'd be doing them a favor by cancelling your order and letting one of them enjoy it.

from a different perspective-

if you want more driving thrills get a viper acr. costs less than 50% of the benz, and you'll obliterate it.

if you want more curb appeal get a DBS.

enough said.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Not sure I understand your logic with your answer. If I didnt love the looks and the appeal of the car, I would have not ordered one. I thought this was a forum to ask opinions of people that actually have the car and/or have driven the car. That is why I ask about handling characteristics, etc. Because someone doesn't like the low end sound of the car, does that mean they shouldnt have one or mean that they should leave their spot open to someone who would. I merely ask opinions. You are entitled to yours, but you sure lack the ability to share enthusiasm for what you like about the R8. Having not driven the car, doesnt it make sense to enquire about it traits? Anyways, I see not...so all you with R8s enjoy and keep your opinions to yourselves so other will never know what you like about your cars.

I think the point here is that they are 2 very different cars. One's a souped-up coupe, the other's is a watered down lambo. They are both great cars.

By all accounts the CLK will give a more lively drive than the R8, so maybe you'll find the R8's drive to be bland in comparison. If you like your creature comforts then the CLK wins again. However, the R8 is better balanced and better able to put all the power down and keep putting it down. It also has looks on it's side - I would think it's hard to be noticed in a CLK, especially if you're European and live anywhere near a taxi rank... maybe that's good for you?

It's personal choice at the end of the day. But ... you must have a lot of faith in Audi if you really did order an R8 without taking one out for a test drive first.

I have not found a dealer here in Los Angeles, Ca that will allow me to drive the one car that they have...otherwise, that would make the process much easier and I would be able to gather an opinion on my own. i dont doubt that the R8 is a great car...just was looking for something concrete in what makes them similiar and different.

Jengle:

please do a search. many of us have posted about our experiences with the R8.
    this is mine:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15001

the car is in a league of its own. i really believe exterior responses to a car's presence can actually alter your perception of what it is like to drive or own a car. mine has made astons, CGT's, gallardos, ferraris, and bentleys invisible. the fact that it feels like an A8 when i want it to and the fact that it can handle like an exige S on a track make this car one of a kind. no other car exists today that can do that afaik. the R8 was faster than the GTR around some of the corners on a recent R&T test irc....

Trick:

if anything, the R8 is far superior to the CLK BS in terms of creature comforts. it is the creature comfort king of the exotic class with the exception of an aston or veyron. further, the CLK really is that much more "loud" than other CLK's and does get a bit of attention as i've been told by those who've seen one and driven one. regards the driving experience, the R8 is insane with the ESP turned off and driven around a circuit. this i can say from personal experience in the car with a professional driver. it is astounding and extremely intense. but requires an experienced hand. i cannot speak for the CLK, but i am sure it is the same, with a bit more violence b/c it has more power and torque.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I will try to help since I have pretty good experience with R8(more about it soon!) and I had a chance to drive new C63 AMG(with 030 Performance Pack and 280km/h factory limiter) on two occasions.

Since you own C63BL my advice is to try as hard as possible to arrange R8 test drive. Why?

Here is my short summery...

R8
    -excellent drive dynamics
    -AWD but, in sheer feel almost RWD, very agile to drive
    -steering just right, not too light or too hard
    -demanding to drive in ESP off mode
    -demanding to drive for mid-engine sportscar begginer(your CLK 63BL is much easier to drive fast then R8)
    -as fast as Porsche 997.2 Carrera S(or in other words fast enough), your CLK is pretty much as fast
    -low end torque not so impressive(engine is pretty driveble in low revs just there is no much torque down there)
    -gated manual needs some accomodation since it is not as fast as best Porsche Short Shifter manual
    -R Tronic... Sequential manual... IMHO just an average quality. Test drive here in mandetory...
    -very good build quality overall
    -standard brakes excellent with very good feel(just little bit overservoed IMO), optional Ceramics expensive with similar brake power
    -AWD can produce some agricultural feeling in steering while turning it at very small speed(parking for example)

C63 AMG
    -sports saloon with huge engine
    -tons of low end torque but, not so free reving at all as R8(or BMW M3) engine
    -7 speed AMG Speedshift autbox pretty good but, IMHO not as good as Jaguar XKR autobox(IMHO the best autobox on the market). Use some kind of internal AI for learning your drive technics but, sometimes it feels clumsy... In all honesty it suits the C63 about just right
    -drive dynamics not so good, in fact not at BMW M3 level for example
    -steering just good(again BMW M3 better, R8 a lot better)
    -FASTER in straight line then R8(we tested C63 against R8 till 270km/h and C63 is about 2s faster)
    -brakes very good with nice feeling
    -traction barely good even with LSD, drift king

In short C63 is amazing sportssedan, very fast and capable. Just it is not sportscar. On windy mountain road it has NO chance against R8(if R8 is driven by good driver).

Your CLK is more extreme car, probably the best sportscar MB has build yet. Since my prediction is that you are interested in R8 with R Tronic is to wait for R8 V10. Current R8(V8) could feel underpowered to you despite the fact that R8 drive dynamics are at upper level...

good post kreso.

for most of us the power of the R8 is more than enough. in this business the huge power that some relatively low cost cars have is easy to enjoy since most people just like to drag race or race in a straight line on most highways and public roads. ironically, all of that power when put to the actual use of demaning handling can bite you back and actually slow you down. if he is used to hi po engines and this is where he gets his rocks off the R8 will be fine but not what his senses crave. for that a 911 TT or the V10 will likely do.

again, i am not sure what he wants.

i do think that the V10 will finally give the R8 the hardcore, violent acceleration and thrills some people seek.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10