Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oooops.....

Oooops.....

So I was cruising down the freeway at a breezy 120+ today heading out to a Lexus Performance event featuring the isF when my right front tyre blew out. Luckily, neither my friend nor I were hurt and no major damage was caused (I hope!) and the car was towed to my dealership as it looks like it was the same problem that haunted me from before:

Only so much worse.....

But, while I was at the dealership, my service advisor told me that another local RS6 was in for a transmission swap so you know I had to run back there to check it out! For pics of the unmounted RS6 engine and some more of my tyre calamity, click here:

http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/RS6/tyre/

yay luckily noone was hurt! tyre damage is always major...once had one too but that was at 120 (km/h not miles)....no damage (besides tyre).

nice pics especially those of the engine!
    Good....bad.....hey i am the guy with the RS6!

And what kind of tires were those? I still say the factory settings for alignment are the root of all evil here. Who's with me??

my were conti sport contact 2.

those of duckwingduck look like dunlop's.
    Good....bad.....hey i am the guy with the RS6!

The originals were Toyo Proxes and these new ones are Bridgestone RE-050A Pole Position. And I am with you, I think the factory setting for the alignment might very well be the root cause here.

However, I also heard this from my technician, he was playing around with another RS6 where the customer complained that the alignment kept slipping, it got so serious that a factory technician came out and on his test drive after an alignment in less than two miles the car started to pull. The technician things that he needs to completely swap out the control arm as he only replaced the broken bushings last time. My question/quandry at this point is, how much of the other damage will Audi cover? As the tire got shredded up, it caused quite a bit of ancillary damage, the side light fell out, the fender was damaged from the insight and the always insidious check engine light came on as well.

Bleah.

Yikes! Glad to hear that nobody got hurt! :bigeyes:

Smokes!!!! Good to hear everyone except the beast is fine....

THAT must have been some f@#$ing loud noise at 120MPH!!!! Followed by a major pucker factor by the DWD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Followed by a major pucker factor by the DWD!!!
    No doubt!

Need to check the insides every once and a while... Same happened to me, but I spotted it and changed the tire before any blowout.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Hey Buddy,

I'm so sorry this happened. Glad you are all OK. It could have been much worse.

The car you saw at the dealer, doesn't that belong to 16 Wins?

Duck, you knew that inside tread was bad. You posted a pic of it in another thread about a month ago and I commented on it (the post was about front ends). Nevertheless, I'm sorry for your troubles and headache.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Well, the tyres were swapped out and took the car back thinking that it was all resolved. The puzzling thing here is, I haven't really even put that many miles on this new set of tyres! Very strange indeed.

Scary - were your new rims damaged ?

A little scratched up, at this point, I don't know if it's bent that I'll need to get a new one, my technician will take a look and let me know sometime next week. I'll be trooping down to the dealership, will take some more photos of the damage.

Copper - no idea man, don't know how the owner is, but it is an amazing looking car. Very nice rims and nice smoked out lights.

Woh, that must have been a scary incident. Glad you and your friend are still with us and that your beast went undamaged.
    Current: 2008 M5 fully loaded, 2008 Tundra 4x4 TRD
    Previous Audi: 2006 S4
    Deposit: 2009 RS6 (cancelled)

Thanks for the well wishes. Don't know about the undamaged bit though! Heading down to my dealership tomorrow to have a chat with the technician and my service advisor

Yo Duck! Those new Bridgestones and the Toyo's too (whichever size you are using).. are they XL load rated?

Yup, both were. The thing about these bridgestones is that they had been on a RS6 for about 500 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    Yup, both were. The thing about these bridgestones is that they had been on a RS6 for about 500 miles!
    I smell a warranty claim coming on...