Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rs 6 Track Days

miatas are awesome, I want to buy one to track.

You could have your suspension checked. DRC works fine on track as long as it is OK. But it is not a track toy, that is for sure. No idea of aftermarket suspensions.

Hotter pads + sports brakes with Phaeton ducts work, but can be on the limit at slower tracks. Expect high wear. If you have deep pockets, get Movit's carbon brakes. Or the steel ones with semi deep pockets

PS2's are well suited to the car on track, be it wet or dry. Semislicks I wouldn't do, even if you find ones with enough load rating. They will overheat the car, as more speed means more load and heat.

Making track biased modifications to RS6 is a bit risky IMHO, because you may end up with a slightly less compromised track car with serious compromises to the actual street usability. So best just enjoy it as it is, and/or get a focused track toy.

Thanks For All The Advice Gents , It Seems That This Car Is Just Not Meant To Be On The Track , And Believe Me That I Say This With Great Disappointment.

I have done few timed trackdays on mine. Yes, it's qute big and heavy, but I have had fun anyway and I don't think it's that slow - it's just slow compared to it's power output.

For example some lap times against other standard cars and similar level driver whom I know personally:

My RS6 (trans in S position) 2.06,5
    Focus ST 2.07,6
    Golf R32 2.04,1
    E46 330 xi 2.04,3
    Golf GTI (MTM 272 hp, good driver) 2.00,5

By changing gears manually, I would lower my time second or two for sure.
    2004 RS6 Avant

Yes , I Also Started In 's' Mode In Which I Was Not Happy And Then Went To Manual Tip Tronic And Bettered It By 2 Seconds .
    Then Went To Smooth Driving ( Felt Steady )but Lost 2 Seconds So Back To Fighting It All The Way Round
    I Have Fun By Just Sitting In The Car Let Alone Driving , But Yes Any Track Day Is Fun .
    To Give Yoou Some Other Times That Were There -
    My Rs6 - 2.15
    Gti 2.15
    Porsche Gt 2 - 2.02 - Full Slicks
    M3 - 2.13( Semi Licks )
    350 Kw Subauru Sti - 2.06 - Worked Suspension - Semi Licks
    400 Kw Subaru Sti ---2.06 Worked Suspension And Lightened- Semi Licks
    Rs4 - 2.13 Racing Driver
    Ferrari 360 Challanger - 2.04
    M3 Turbo - 450 Kw Full Slicks , Works Suspension , Lightened- 1.58 * 2 Cars.

Remember Add About 28% To Kw To Get Hp Rating
    The Bmw's Fly Around The Track

Spinecho ---- I Bought This Car Cause Its A Car Amounst Cars And Yes I Want To Go To My Frequent Track Days With It As Well , This Is A Weekend Car For Me , I Dont Want To Destroy It But Just Help It To Be Better On The Track

Quote Originally Posted by garbi View Post
    Yes , I Also Started In 's' Mode In Which I Was Not Happy And Then Went To Manual Tip Tronic And Bettered It By 2 Seconds .
    Then Went To Smooth Driving ( Felt Steady )but Lost 2 Seconds So Back To Fighting It All The Way Round
    I Have Fun By Just Sitting In The Car Let Alone Driving , But Yes Any Track Day Is Fun .
    To Give Yoou Some Other Times That Were There -
    My Rs6 - 2.15
    Gti 2.15
    Porsche Gt 2 - 2.02 - Full Slicks
    M3 - 2.13( Semi Licks )
    350 Kw Subauru Sti - 2.06 - Worked Suspension - Semi Licks
    400 Kw Subaru Sti ---2.06 Worked Suspension And Lightened- Semi Licks
    Rs4 - 2.13 Racing Driver
    Ferrari 360 Challanger - 2.04
    M3 Turbo - 450 Kw Full Slicks , Works Suspension , Lightened- 1.58 * 2 Cars.

Remember Add About 28% To Kw To Get Hp Rating
    The Bmw's Fly Around The Track

I have e46 M3 now and it really feels home at a track

Some people have replaced the original antiroll bar with the Hotchkiss bar and say it reduces understeer. Personally I have not tried it on my car.
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

i have ordered the sway bars, front and rear and the bils pss9's .
    but i have been told that the rs4 diff gets replaced to split power to 20/80 favouring the rear , for racing purposes , anyone tried that on the rs6 ?
    this will definetly help with the understeer.

Sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by garbi View Post
    i have ordered the sway bars, front and rear and the bils pss9's .
    but i have been told that the rs4 diff gets replaced to split power to 20/80 favouring the rear , for racing purposes , anyone tried that on the rs6 ?
    this will definetly help with the understeer.
    The Hotchkiss sway bars are a must!! I don't know about other brands.
    The RS4 splits the torque 40/60 frnt/rear.
    Motul RBF600 brake fluid is your frinend
    Here is a thread on brakes:
    http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11459

One can have a ton of fun with the RS6 on the track.
    Smooth and slow in and very fast out of the corners.
    Randy can take a slightly modded RS6 and surprise Porche's.
    He's drive JP4's with sways and upgrade brakes and done this.

Have fun, Jimmy S.

thanks for the info.
    i will keep you posted on the improved

garbi

I am a new RS6 owner and opted to take the ride out to my local track tonight in lieu of my NSX. I wanted to see just what speeds could be attained on the front straightaway vs. my the other cars in my group. Well I was disappointed also. Two things went entirely wrong. First the car simply didn't have any gusto tonight. Ambient air temperature was 21C. Our front straight is also used for 1/4 mile drags so it's a little more than a half mile long. The RS6 came out of turn 11 and started up the straight at 5000rpm in second gear and had all it could to do hit 190km/h prior to threshold braking going into turn 1. My NSX would turn 215km/h in stock format with a lowly 270hp engine. Yes I am very cognizant the RS6 weights a half ton more than the NSX in stock trim, but it also has 180hp and more than 200lbs of torque more. These numbers should quickly ensure the car perform to higher acceleration numbers than what I was seeing.

The second was the brakes. Being as I wanted this car for so long and finally got into one after the Gov't of Canada changed it's crash test requirements I was really stoked to see the true potential on a track where you would really hit high speeds. Brakes let me down. As mentioned in the first post for this thread, I also had brake fluid boil over after only 6-7 laps and the pedal went to the floor as mush. With that little braking I'm suspescious the previous owner utilized DOT3 instead of DOT4 or DOT5. I'm going to put on SS lines and also rebleed the system using Super blue DOT5 or racing fluid. I don't plan to place it on the track all that often as I have a perfectly good track car with my NSX. It would just be some nice reassurance that I won't crack the ride up in the event I opt to take it for a few hot laps here and there.

Now if I can just figure out why the poor acceleration times.

Tim
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

i was also very frustrated with the car on the track , so till my next track day ( 11 oct )i have already done the following.

uprated brake fluid
    uprated pads - ds2500 ferodo's
    kw v3 suspension ( will have to play a bit to set it up correctly )
    hotchins sway bays
    new 19 row oil cooler
    new 19 row gearbox cooler
    spare bonnet with vents
    complete new custome air intake system
    decat and custom exhaust
    dna remap ( and trans remap)
    sparco racing seat.( 5 point harness)
    new 18 inch wheels with dunlop semi slick tyres.

i have really concentrated on cooling and breathing for this car as it gets into limp mode and temp's rise on the track.

after this track day i will play more with the power of the car .

i hope that this helps you.

garbi

oh yes and ( importantly) , wheel alignment with between 0.5 & 1 degree tow out on the back.
    this will help it turn better.

good lord! That is a LOT of modifications but I think at the end of the day, you're not going to be able to get away from physics and the heaviness of our car. Still, I'm sure it's fun as hell out there.

And really, this is part of the reason why I want to track the car at least once, just to see where the edge of the envelope is.

i just want the car to be the best it can be .... but still having regular drivablility

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, get a dedicated track car if you are serious about track days. Then bring both the track car and the Beast to track days, if you have a friend or partner who can drive one for you. This is in case it rains - then you can take the Beast out and feel like a hero as you lap all the expensive, RWD machinery that was embarrasing you earlier when it was dry
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

and my 2 cents, yep get a dedicated track car...but since i can't at the moment...I've tracked my car 7 or so times...all i really needed was high temp racing brake fluid and racing pads (plus PS2s)...I've gone cheap to EPC Yellows and they work fine as anything...with my style i go through them in a day and a half but still worth it at $130 for a pair. I have never had my car go into limp mode but i can feel the heat soak coming on in performance as the day goes on...cooling down between runs is of course the most important thing. The car is heavy and useless on tight slow speed turns. Recognize that and just throw them away (brake early and don't upset the car with severe understeer) and concentrate on the bigger ones. Car is fun but it does take a bigger road course with longer straights/sweepers to enjoy it.

Goning to do Daytona i hope so can't wait to see how fun it is on a right size track for the whale.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet